Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 NFL Season

The Giants will have a 10 day break from Oct 10-20 after they play get pounded by the Patriots on Thursday night. Odds are they will be something like 1-5 at that point (I figure they might win @Tampa or home to the Redskins). That might be a window where they team goes to Daniel. The game on the 20th is at home against the awful Cardinals.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Dolphins outscored 102-10 in first 2 games, both at home. Worst team ever?

Coach, what do you think about your team's execution?

I'm in favor of it.

John McVay, Tampa Bay, 1976.

Of course, they were an expansion team. The 2019 fish might be in the running for worst NFL-team-that's-actually-been-around-awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Coach, what do you think about your team's execution?

I'm in favor of it.

John McVay, Tampa Bay, 1976.

Of course, they were an expansion team. The 2019 fish might be in the running for worst NFL-team-that's-actually-been-around-awhile.
    All-time great quote. But those Bucs were outscored just 43-0 in their first two games. The official attendance for today's game is higher than the capacity of the stadium. Yeah, right. Excuse me, I have a bridge to sell in Miami. Or heating blankets?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    "We'll always have 1972." (or something like that )
    This Miami team has a solid shot at achieving a perfect season to mirror 1972.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    This Miami team has a solid shot at achieving a perfect season to mirror 1972.
    Will the 2008 Lions and 2017 Browns have a big celebration if the Dolphins win a game?

Please don't jump the gun by replacing Eli. The Giants defense is so bad even I could get open and I'm turning 65 next month. If I'm not mistaken, the Bills had either the best or second best pass defense in the NFL last season and Eli was without his two best receivers and another went down with a concussion today.

I'd say give Eli 8 games, that way either the team improves or the season is totally shot and Jones won't have any pressure to save the season.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Will the 2008 Lions and 2017 Browns have a big celebration if the Dolphins win a game?
    They'll try, but fail.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    That would be a fair statement.

I find it amusing that the lawsuit against AB for his "alleged" misuse of the high price beach front town house he rented in Miami is back in the news.

I believe that is where several of the "alleged" sexual assaults took place - the acts aren't contested, the only issue was consent.

Discovery in that lawsuit is now pursuing his texts and communications with his agent. The agent is being deposed.

The Pats fans that were so critical or Ben Roethlisberger are so quiet now.

Ben is (has become), by all accounts, a dedicated family man and a good father.

AB? Well, he is a father, if his "baby mama" is to be believed. But not a lot of respect for women.

Hey, just win baby.
    I don't disagree this is a horrible look for AB.

The Pats, however, had no idea of these allegations before they signed him. And the NFL didn't put him on the exemption list (although that may change in the last two days). And the Pats are doing nothing wrong in this case.

As Duke fans, we should know all about "punishment before verdict" with athletes.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Please don't jump the gun by replacing Eli. The Giants defense is so bad even I could get open and I'm turning 65 next month. If I'm not mistaken, the Bills had either the best or second best pass defense in the NFL last season and Eli was without his two best receivers and another went down with a concussion today.

I'd say give Eli 8 games, that way either the team improves or the season is totally shot and Jones won't have any pressure to save the season.
    This. Absolutely this.

I kinda hope Jones doesn't play this year because the optics with losing are going to be horrible. The Giants defense is going to cost them tons of games, regardless of how good the offense is.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Big Ben out for the year. Along with Brees, yesterday was a tough time for older QB's. (All things considered, Eli got off pretty easy).

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/stee...155731203.html
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Big Ben out for the year. Along with Brees, yesterday was a tough time for older QB's. (All things considered, Eli got off pretty easy).

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/stee...155731203.html
    Non-contact injury. He may be done period. That arm has thrown a lot of footballs. The Steelers wasted his prime years.

The Steelers wasted his prime years.
    I dunno about that. They were consistently in the playoffs throughout his career and often made the conference championship game. He just had the bad fortune to be in his prime the same time as Brady and also before Peyton had really started declining. Ben was never the top QB in the AFC in his career... quite often he was 2nd or 3rd, but never #1... and that is a lot of why his teams were soooo close to getting titles, but rarely got them.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I dunno about that. They were consistently in the playoffs throughout his career and often made the conference championship game. He just had the bad fortune to be in his prime the same time as Brady and also before Peyton had really started declining. Ben was never the top QB in the AFC in his career... quite often he was 2nd or 3rd, but never #1... and that is a lot of why his teams were soooo close to getting titles, but rarely got them.
    There is not a lot of respect for Big Ben here. The QB has two Super Bowl rings. There are only 12 starting quarterbacks with multiple rings, and Big Ben is one of them. The most recent four are Brady, Manning #1, Manning #2, and Big Ben. That's incredible company.

The Steelers didn't "waste Big Ben's prime"; they just got unlucky by having to always get past the Pats on their way to the Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    There is not a lot of respect for Big Ben here. The QB has two Super Bowl rings. There are only 12 starting quarterbacks with multiple rings, and Big Ben is one of them. The most recent four are Brady, Manning #1, Manning #2, and Big Ben. That's incredible company.

The Steelers didn't "waste Big Ben's prime"; they just got unlucky by having to always get past the Pats on their way to the Super Bowl.
    Yeah I would say his career was a great success and he should (but won't) be the only qb in that class to go to the Hall. If not for some bad injury luck in the playoffs and dealing with 2 of the 3 greatest qbs of all time every year he probably would have won another 2 rings. He didn't however and still put together a wonderful career. I hope he retires for his bodily health, which has been deteriorating for a few years now.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

I don't disagree this is a horrible look for AB.

The Pats, however, had no idea of these allegations before they signed him. ... the Pats are doing nothing wrong in this case.

As Duke fans, we should know all about "punishment before verdict" with athletes.
    Guess "due diligence" does not pertain:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...cid=spartandhp

"Just win baby"

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Yeah I would say his career was a great success and he should (but won't) be the only qb in that class to go to the Hall. If not for some bad injury luck in the playoffs and dealing with 2 of the 3 greatest qbs of all time every year he probably would have won another 2 rings. He didn't however and still put together a wonderful career. I hope he retires for his bodily health, which has been deteriorating for a few years now.

14 Super bowls since he was drafted. The AFC was represented by Brady 6 times, Peyton 4 times, Ben 3, and Flacco 1 time.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Ben was only 28 years old when he made his 3rd Super Bowl (2010 season). Has only made 1 Conference Championship game since. During those years, which most consider a quarterback's prime, the Steelers have won 3 playoff games and missed the playoffs 3 times. As a former Steelers fan, I know these things well. To me that's a waste.

Edit: I believe Ben only met Peyton once in the playoffs and beat him. Ben's 2nd year. Big upset.

The Steelers have only faced the Patriots once in the playoffs in the above-referenced years, and only twice in Ben's career (both losses, rookie season and 2 years ago). Again, a waste. In your defense, it just seems like it.

Seriously, you don't think Eli Manning belongs in the Hall of Fame? He holds the NY Giants' records for completions, passing yards, and passing TDs. He's won 2 Super Bowls. And I'm not just biased because he beat the Patriots both those times, including ending their perfect season.
    Last edited by dudog84; 09-16-2019 at 05:59 PM.

Ben was only 28 years old when he made his 3rd Super Bowl (2010 season). Has only made 1 Conference Championship game since. During those years, which most consider a quarterback's prime, the Steelers have won 3 playoff games and missed the playoffs 3 times. As a former Steelers fan, I know these things well. To me that's a waste.

Edit: I believe Ben only met Peyton once in the playoffs and beat him. Ben's 2nd year. Big upset.
    "former Steelers fan"?!? I didn't know there was such a thing!! "INCONCEIVABLE!!"

I'm going to say "waste" is a bit strong. The Steelers were only .500 three times, and almost always in the hunt year in and year out. It seems like there was always a piece missing, or a bad injury (e.g. Shazier in 2017), or some other factor that prevented them from going deeper in the playoffs (besides just having to go through the Belicheats). The Steelers sure racked up a whole bunch of wins year after year after year, and Ben matches up well with anyone.

Active QB Won-Loss Records

Whether Ben decides to retire or try to come back, I'm good with it.

(Oh and by the way, the "pass interference challenge" is a complete fiasco, and could very well have cost the Steelers a win against Seattle.)

The Steelers have only faced the Patriots once in the playoffs in the above-referenced years, and only twice in Ben's career (both losses, rookie season and 2 years ago). Again, a waste. In your defense, it just seems like it.

Seriously, you don't think Eli Manning belongs in the Hall of Fame? He holds the NY Giants' records for completions, passing yards, and passing TDs. He's won 2 Super Bowls. And I'm not just biased because he beat the Patriots both those times, including ending their perfect season.
    I'm an Eli fan but he averages as many turnovers (25) as he does tds (25). Plus he has never in his career been considered a top tier qb. I think the Giants should put his number up in their own personal ring of honor or whatever but his talent is nowhere and I mean nowhere near Hall quality. He was basically a league average qb nearly every year and shouldn't be rewarded because his defense played at insane levels for a few weeks in January/February.

I feel similarly about Rivers but the argument for him is stronger even though I argue he too should fall short. The Hall should be reserved for the elite guys of their time.
    Last edited by JNort; 09-16-2019 at 07:25 PM.

I'm an Eli fan but he averages as many turnovers (25) as he does tds (25). Plus he has never in his career been considered a top tier qb. I think the Giants should put his number up in their own personal ring of honor or whatever but his talent is nowhere and I mean nowhere near Hall quality. He was basically a league average qb nearly every year and shouldn't be rewarded because his defense played at insane levels for a few weeks in January/February.
    LOL, where do you get your numbers? TDs 361, INTs 239, fumbles 56 (which I've never seen anyone really concentrate on in a QB). In the post-season TDs 18, INTs 9, fumbles 2. And he was MVP in both Super Bowls.

Re the bold, he was the #1 pick in the draft. I think that is being considered a top tier QB, at least at one point in his career. L...O...L