Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 NFL Season

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Is there a less likable person in sports media than Doug Gottlieb?

I had stronger words but decided it wasn't worth the infraction.
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    And Gottlieb is catching a lot of heat from real athletes. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Aikman even went after their mutual employer:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...K61?li=BBnb7Kz
    How about someone else we know & love: Dan Dakich?
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Is there a less likable person in sports media than Doug Gottlieb?

I had stronger words but decided it wasn't worth the infraction.

Would love to see Gottlieb repeat his pithy tweet after taking a few hits from Von Miller, Khalil Mack, and J.J. Watt.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

I will miss Andrew Luck as I thought he was a good QB and someone I found easy to root for... but if losing him means we also rid the airwaves of those !#^#!^-clowns Dakich and Gottlieb then that is a trade I would make 100 days out of 100.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    And Gottlieb is catching a lot of heat from real athletes. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Aikman even went after their mutual employer:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...K61?li=BBnb7Kz
    I never really considered Aikman to be much of a journalist, poet, or even a thinker, but I'm not sure that any of the greats of literature could have captured the essence of Doug Gottlieb as succinctly and definitively as Troy: “That’s total bulls—"

That's a quote from Aikman! I didn't say it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    Would love to see Gottlieb repeat his pithy tweet after taking a few hits from Von Miller, Khalil Mack, and J.J. Watt.
    I can’t find it now but I believe I had read that over The past x years, Luck took 60 more hits than the next closest QB, which was a hefty percentage. I’ll see if I can find it again but if true there should probably be some discussion inColts HQ about protecting their assets.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    I am confident just one would do the trick.

I love that people talk about the NFL doing too much to protect QBs, but tend not to discuss instances of QBs getting knocked out of games, season and careers with internal organ damage.

Pro football is still a brutal sport. Even for QBs.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post

I love that people talk about the NFL doing too much to protect QBs, but tend not to discuss instances of QBs getting knocked out of games, season and careers with internal organ damage.

Y.A. Tittle, calling from the Great Beyond, hoo-ots his concurrence.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Yes, I'm a die-hard Redskins fan. It's a tough life, but on the other hand I also have Duke basketball, so there's that.
    Redskins fans are lifers, basically. We haven't made the playoffs in something like 78 years at this point and I still read more preseason notes and blogs this year than I ever have before. Like rsvman, I have Duke basketball and I'm a Clemson alum so I have Clemson football. If anyone is curious about the Redskins here's a few thoughts:

• All the media has covered is the QB situation. Colt McCoy knows the offense the best but isn't fully recovered from his broken leg from last year. Alex Smith is lucky to still have 2 legs. Haskins is a good rookie. Keenam is the IMHO the right starter for now. QB is not the story for the Redskins despite what you seen on ESPN.
    • The Redskins have led the NFL in one thing the last 2 years, injuries. Gruden still has a job because it's hard to tell if his coaching is good or bad because 1/2 through the last 3 seasons we had important pieces missing all over, especially on the O-line. Heck the guy that would have been our starting RB last year, Derrius Guice tore his ACL in his first preseason game last year and that was just foreshadowing for the whole season. I really hope this isn't the story for the Redskins this year.
    • All the experts are picking the Redskins to finish in 15th place in the ACC this year or worse.
    • I actually have some hope because while the media has been blabbering on and on about our QB situation, our defense could be seriously stacked this year. If we do well it'll be because of our defense. If the defense plays up to it's potential, we will exceed expectations. The defense is our story this year.
    • Of course, DB Fabian Moreau hurt his ankle in the preseason, but it was reported that he might be ready for week one.
    • Following Guice this last year on twitter, I've grown to really like the kid and I hope he has a great season.
    • The Trent Williams situation is not helping our team. All pro left tackles don't come around that often. As far as I know he has said he was unhappy with the Redskins training staff and has said he doesn't want to play for us anymore and is holding out. Issue was apparently a cyst or something on his head, cancer scare...wasn't cancer. Redskins say that they told him to get it checked out earlier and he didn't. Whole thing is a mess at this point. We signed a replacement, Penn, who is saying all the right things. Hopefully he plays well. I have no idea what we should with Trent. Mostly I hope he changes his mind and comes back to play.
    • With all the talk about QB, my biggest concern is WR. I wish we could have resigned Duke's Jamison Crowder. I thought he was a great complementary WR. We are going to need some guys to step up or we are going to have to keep other teams from scoring more than 10 points a game!
    • Our owner still sucks. Everyone still hates our GM. Stadium still sucks. Fan experience needs improvement. HTTR (sorry if all that's harsh but I'm a realist).

I was in Ireland and Scotland for 2 weeks on vacation. I come back and discover that Andrew Luck retired. WTF? I can't leave you guys alone for a minute! I'm still not sure what happened with the communication aspect. Did he tell the team and have someone on the team leak the news before he had a chance to tell the public? I've always liked Luck and with him the best of Luck going forward (double meaning intended). I will say this, however, retiring two weeks before game 1 of the regular season screws the Colts. I know all the players and talking heads are getting on the fans for booing (they shouldn't have). And I agree that Luck owes the fans nothing. But stepping away right before a season like that screws your team. I'm not saying he was right or wrong but...

Here's hoping the Zeke continues to hold out and the Cowgirls (the UNCheat of the NFL) lost just enough games before he comes back to make them miss the playoff and send the team into a downward spiral.

I actually like Carson Wentz and hope he stays healthy this year and has 14 good regular season games where he is healthy. Of course we want them to miss the playoffs because they finish behind the Redskins.

I really like Mahomes and hope he does well again this season. He's worth the price of admission so far.

The Browns have sucked in every way for so long, I can't help be root for them to have a good season. I kind of like Baker Mayfield. He seems like he's somewhat like me...just one step/generation up from white trash <-- hope that's not too non-PC

I'd really like the see Brees kill it again this year and I'd really like to see Brady suck (just so tired of them). If you haven't watched the videos of Brees and Zion, go find them. Brees is the guy everyone wants to play with (oh and that Zion kid is kind of likable as well and he dwarfs even the football players). I do wonder if Brees is dumping down the backs so much simply because Kamara is just so very talented.

Remember when Jamis Winston and Marcus Mariota were going to be the #1 and #2 picks? Going to be interesting to see if either end the year as starting QB's.

Can Deshaun Watson stay healthy this season? If so, it would be great to see him play up to his potential.

spreads, in order

Seahawks 9.5 over Bengals
    Eagles 8.5 over Redskins
    Chargers 7 over Colts
    Cowboys 7 over Giants
    Saints 7 over Texans
    ------------------------------
    Patriots 6 over Steelers
    Browns 5.5 over Titans
    Ravens 5.5 @ Dolphins
    Chiefs 4 @ Jaguars
    Vikings 4 over Falcons
    --------------------------------
    Bears 3 over Packers
    Jets 3 over Bills
    Rams 3 @ Panthers
    Lions 2.5 @ Cardinals
    Buccaneers 1 over 49ers
    Raiders 1 over Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post

Preach it.

JJ Watt and Aaron Rodgers, perhaps the most elite athletes at their respective positions, both lost most of the season to injury. Andrew Luck, as tough a customer as there has ever been at QB, basically shut it down due to injuries. Cam Newton is already creaky and slow. This notion that the game is not violent any more is just a bunch of insecure macho hogwash from keyboard cowboys. Players are faster and stronger than ever, and the collisions are more violent than ever. Players who are exposed due to a throwing, kicking or punting motion should be protected. QBs are not protected when they run, nor should they be, but there should be protection when they are exposed.

Some of the great hits by Dick Butkus or Alan Page look like slo mo replay compared to the hits of today. That's not a slam against them, they were the elites of their era and they would be elite today...as they too would be bigger, stronger and faster due to advances in nutrition, PEDs, strength and speed training, etc, like everybody else today. But the collisions of "the good old days" simply don't compare to collisions today in the sport - and the moaning of phaux warriors on the internet doesn't change that.

Can someone remind me what Oakland gave up to get Antonio Brown?

I'd just like to point out that one out of every eight NFL teams has a starting QB that graduated from NC State! (or they will once the Bengals get their head out of their rear and start Finely).

Can someone remind me what Oakland gave up to get Antonio Brown?
    The Raiders' self-respect?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The Raiders' self-respect?
    Don't you have to have something before you give it up?

Can't say I don't enjoy watching a unc "grad" lead offense getting booed by the home crowd.

Can't say I don't enjoy watching a unc "grad" lead offense getting booed by the home crowd.
    The Bears have an inexperienced, young QB and not exactly a stud set of wide receivers. Can anyone explain why they dropped back to pass 50+ times (45 pass attempts, 5 sacks, and I saw Trubisky escape pressure and run for positive yards at least once) and only rushed the ball 15 times? 3+ to 1 pass to rush ratio would seem to be problematic.

The most effective offensive player for the Bears was their placekicker... dwell on that for a moment.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The Bears have an inexperienced, young QB and not exactly a stud set of wide receivers. Can anyone explain why they dropped back to pass 50+ times (45 pass attempts, 5 sacks, and I saw Trubisky escape pressure and run for positive yards at least once) and only rushed the ball 15 times? 3+ to 1 pass to rush ratio would seem to be problematic.
    A few reasons:
    1. They have a second-year head coach who had a tendency too cute with the playcalling even last year
    2. The running game wasn't really working (3.1 yards per carry)
    3. They have a QB who they know can make plays with his legs on passing plays

The Bears played poorly on offense and their playcaller called a poor game. Bad combination.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The most effective offensive player for the Bears was their placekicker... dwell on that for a moment.
    Allen Robinson (7 catches, 102 yards) would like a word with you. He's legitimately good, and was the only positive for the team aside from the stout defense. Even the kicker stunk (kicked a kickoff out of bounds leading to the short-field touchdown).

The Bears didn't play their starters together at all during the preseason. Considering that the defense were vets and proven, that may have been fine on defense. But with a young and new to each other group on offense, that appears to have been a mistake. They looked like a team playing their first preseason game offensively.

I stumbled across the game last night and watched about a quarter. I need someone to explain to me why the NFL is seen as being so very exciting compared to baseball...seemed like a dull grind punctuated by a vast number of commercials.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I stumbled across the game last night and watched about a quarter. I need someone to explain to me why the NFL is seen as being so very exciting compared to baseball...seemed like a dull grind punctuated by a vast number of commercials.
    If last night was an example of NFL2019, I may have to start following pro soccer on Sundays.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    If last night was an example of NFL2019, I may have to start following pro soccer on Sundays.
    It was a very bad game. But it was one game. One offense with a new coach facing an elite defense, the other offense with a bunch of new faces and no preseason action against what looks to be a good defense.

There will be plenty of good, fun to watch football games. Just like there are plenty of awful baseball games. This just wasn't one of the fun to watch ones.