Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 NFL Season

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I want to be clear that I am no fan of the Pats. I do not like Bill Belichick. But, it is pretty clear that he is just plain smarter than everyone else.

https://www.businessinsider.com/bill...e-jets-2019-10

Meanwhile, can someone explain to me how the Pats, who are always drafting at the end of the round and who have high priced stars locking up cap space, somehow have transitioned from having the best offense in football a few years ago to having the best defense in football now. I swear, it is like the rest of the league is playing checkers and Belichick is playing three-dimensional-chess.
    Wow, that really is unbelievable. I remember seeing it all play out live, but I wasn't watching the clock. I just thought it was gamesmanship. Didn't know Belichick had something more detailed up his sleeve. Sheesh!

I want to be clear that I am no fan of the Pats. I do not like Bill Belichick. But, it is pretty clear that he is just plain smarter than everyone else.

Meanwhile, can someone explain to me how the Pats, who are always drafting at the end of the round and who have high priced stars locking up cap space, somehow have transitioned from having the best offense in football a few years ago to having the best defense in football now. I swear, it is like the rest of the league is playing checkers and Belichick is playing three-dimensional-chess.
    Add me to the list of people that are not a fan of the Pats (frankly I'm tired of them) but begrudgingly have to admit that Belichick is just better at his job than everyone else. The chess vs checkers comparison is just spot on Jason.

I am not sure the part about stars locking up cap space is correct. At one point not long ago, Brady was the 18th highest paid QB in the NFL (or something in that range). The Pats have always let people go a year before they started deteriorating instead of over paying for aging stars, in effect paying them for what they've already done. New England doesn't play that game. They have Brady and interchangeable parts for a good portion of their roster.

Seems as though the Patriots are the “ Duke” of the NFL as we seem to be in the NCAA

Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    Seems as though the Patriots are the “ Duke” of the NFL as we seem to be in the NCAA
    I would submit that the Patriots are more universally disliked by NFL fans than Duke is by college basketball fans, but that the dislike for Duke is much more passionate.

Actually, Belichick explaining how he beat the rules seems a bit out of character for him, especially in a situation where it didn't matter in the game at all. Now the true 3D chess move would be if he were baiting the NFL into closing the loophole, but he knows they will do it in a way that creates some other consequence that he can then exploit differently when it really matters. THAT would be more in character. That, and also violating existing rules without the 'telling everyone' part. (I kid, I kid)

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Actually, Belichick explaining how he beat the rules seems a bit out of character for him, especially in a situation where it didn't matter in the game at all. Now the true 3D chess move would be if he were baiting the NFL into closing the loophole, but he knows they will do it in a way that creates some other consequence that he can then exploit differently when it really matters. THAT would be more in character. That, and also violating existing rules without the 'telling everyone' part. (I kid, I kid)
    Would the clock stop if the penalty were accepted? I feel like this would have been exploited in end of game situations where a team had the ball and the lead but there was a little too much time for them to kneel it out otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Would the clock stop if the penalty were accepted? I feel like this would have been exploited in end of game situations where a team had the ball and the lead but there was a little too much time for them to kneel it out otherwise.
    Yes. If it were a competitive situation, the opponent could accept the penalty, push you 5 yards back, then have you punt with the clock stopped until you snapped the ball. It's a shame this came up in a non-competitive game. You could have the same situation with a close score, a punting team that wants to take the penalty for better punting position, and have an opposing coach who doesn't fully understand the rule with respect to the clock and does what Gase did (presmuably just once, not twice) and gets burned big-time.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Well, it certainly helps your defensive stats to play the Dolphins, Jets, and Bills a total of six times per season.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I am not sure the part about stars locking up cap space is correct. At one point not long ago, Brady was the 18th highest paid QB in the NFL (or something in that range). The Pats have always let people go a year before they started deteriorating instead of over paying for aging stars, in effect paying them for what they've already done. New England doesn't play that game. They have Brady and interchangeable parts for a good portion of their roster.
    The Pats play the system beautifully.

They were able to trade a 2nd round pick (a LOW 2nd round pick) for a receiver, Sanu, that fits their system perfectly. Why? Because they are expecting TWO 2nd round compensatory picks!

I'm not sure who they "lost," but for comparison, the Steelers are expecting a THIRD round compensatory pick for losing Leveon Bell, a Pro Bowl player who is one of the best and now one of the highest paid at his position.

The Pats also lost pro bowl TE Gronk and still came out of the shoot this season smoking every team in their path.

I hate the Pats, and think they cheat, but they know how to work the system. Sure, they value talent way more than character, but they jettison players when arrested or indicted and just win baby.

BTW, please don't compare the Pats to Duke, many of us find that insulting to Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    This is the part that surprised me as well - why expose this loophole now?

The analogy that comes to mind [for these sports rules loopholes] in the realm of cybersecurity would be 0-day vulnerabilities. Advanced nation states generally don't [publicly] blow their 0-days on non top-tier targets, especially when traditional tactics and techniques can easily get the job done.

Either there's something really 3-D chess at work here, or man, Belichik really just likes to humiliate the Jets...
    A text without a context is a pretext.

Belichick excels because: 1) he is utterly unsentimental...lose a step or create a fuss and you are gone. 2) he does not commit the prevalent mistake of giving out long term deals to guys at the top of their game who subsequently decline, and 3) he assesses talent well...he is a miserable shrew, but a very savvy one.

Your intrepid Blue Devil at giant vs lion. Guarantee the only 😛 DUKE I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. in the joint.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Whoops. It was spell check!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Whoops. It was spell check!
    Sure... Have fun!

I’ve learned two things today:

1) The 49ers are for real

2) The Panthers are not

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post

2) The Panthers are not
    Hot takes.

2) The Panthers are not
    Bosa is a beast...Julius Pepper skillset it appears. Yes, the Niners are for real....

2) The Panthers are not
    3. 51-13 was an act of scorigami.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    3. 51-13 was an act of scorigami.
    Hah, good catch. I would've thought a 51-13 would've happened somewhere along the way.