Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 297

Thread: 2019 NFL Season

  1. #1

    2019 NFL Season

    Didn't see a generic NFL season thread, just the Dukies in the NFL thread on the EK Board so thought I'd get one going now that we're a few weeks out.

    First, what in the heck is going on with AB and his helmet and his damn cryogenic-ally frost bitten feet? Dude's a hot mess and we're not even at week 1 yet.

    Looking forward to having these questions answered (for starters)...

    1. Is the hype around the Browns deserved? I hope it is...
    2. What will Mahomes do for an encore? Goes without saying but I'm looking forward to watching that kid play football for the next 10-15 year.
    3. Can Wentz stay healthy and get the SB MVP-trophy wielding BDN Foles monkey off his back? No way watching his back-up gun the Eagles to a SB two years ago didn't jack up the pressure on the franchise QB...
    4. How long can Brady and Brees keep running it back? I'm not 40 yet but I was out digging up roots this afternoon and I think I'll be down until at least Wednesday. Those dudes are impressive.
    5. Is this the year Dan Synder finally collapses under the weight of his own Napoleon complex freeing Redskins nation of the least fan friendly owner in the league? (Yeah, right).
    6. Is this the final season Jerry Jones bounces Jason Garrett on his knee? Will Tony Romo keep killing playcalling?
    7. Can McVay, Goff, and Donald do it again? Have we already passed peak Gurley?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    I'll give it a go.

    1) No. They will be good, but not as good as the hype suggests.

    2) Machines will continue to make amazing plays but he will revert to the mean a little.

    3) I certainly hope not.

    4) At least a couple more seasons. They are both freaks of nature and extremely dedicated.

    5) In my dreams.

    6) No, and yes.

    7) Maybe, although I think Goff is a bit overrated. The jury is out on Gurley.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I'll give it a go.

    1) No. They will be good, but not as good as the hype suggests.

    2) Machines will continue to make amazing plays but he will revert to the mean a little.

    3) I certainly hope not.

    4) At least a couple more seasons. They are both freaks of nature and extremely dedicated.

    5) In my dreams.

    6) No, and yes.

    7) Maybe, although I think Goff is a bit overrated. The jury is out on Gurley.

    Mostly with you. I take it you're not an Eagles fan...what, Redskins from your response to #5? I think Brees will keep slinging for a few years but I'm predicting a big time decline for Brady this year.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I think Brees will keep slinging for a few years but I'm predicting a big time decline for Brady this year.
    I think both of them are due for a decline. Brees' falloff has already begun. He threw for 400 fewer yards last year than at any time in his 13 years with the Saints. They are clearly morphing into more of a run team and are employing the Brady "dump it to the backs again and again" method as much as possible. He was 19th in the league in pass attempts that were in the air for more than 20 yards last season. He was 9th at that in 2017 and was top 5 in that category pretty much every year from 2011 to 2016.

    That said, dude is a ridiculous phenom to still be as good as he is at age 73 (or whatever his current age is). I bet pretty much all of his teammates cannot remember a time when Brees was not a NFL starter.

    -Jason "Brees is 40 and gives me hope that the Falcons can get 4+ more quality years out of Matty Ice (who is currently 34)" Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Mostly with you. I take it you're not an Eagles fan...what, Redskins from your response to #5? I think Brees will keep slinging for a few years but I'm predicting a big time decline for Brady this year.
    Yes, I'm a die-hard Redskins fan. It's a tough life, but on the other hand I also have Duke basketball, so there's that.

  6. #6
    Andrew Luck is retiring from the NFL???

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Andrew Luck is retiring from the NFL???
    His entire career has basically been one long rehab process, I suspect trying to return from injury has worn him down (this recent injury being the final straw).

    Did not see it coming though.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    His entire career has basically been one long rehab process, I suspect trying to return from injury has worn him down (this recent injury being the final straw).

    Did not see it coming though.
    Fascinating.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Fascinating.
    I guess everyone has their limits but wow. Top tier QBs at 29 don’t do this. The owner said he’s potentially leaving $500M on the table. Hope he can get healthy, his laundry list of injuries sounded miserable and he’d also clearly lost his joy for the game.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Luck's estimated career earnings are $97 million thus far, so I can see the temptation to avoid more injuries and get out in one piece.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Albemarle, North Carolina
    Luck was in elementary school playing pee wee football when Tom Brady won his first superbowl. Who would have thought to see Luck retire before him.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Luck was in elementary school playing pee wee football when Tom Brady won his first superbowl. Who would have thought to see Luck retire before him.
    That right there is damn crazy. Brady has been remarkably durable aside from the ACL, which is now over a decade in the rear view.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Andrew Luck is retiring from the NFL???
    And I thought Philly fans were the worst beings ever to inhabit the planet …

    Booing Andrew Luck off the field in his last appearance as a Colt? Astonishing. Shameful.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Is there anything in sports more meaningless and unpopular than preseason NFL football. Everyone wishes it would go away except perhaps for the owners who enjoy selling tickets for people to watch tertiary players vie for roster spots.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    And I thought Philly fans were the worst beings ever to inhabit the planet …

    Booing Andrew Luck off the field in his last appearance as a Colt? Astonishing. Shameful.
    Agreed. For their entertainment, he had the below. Well-compensated, to be sure, but man made a hard decision and with entirely defensible reasoning, opted to retire. That said, I'd bet good money he tries to make a comeback in a few years if the fire in the belly still has a few embers.

    » Torn cartilage in 2 ribs
    » partially torn abdomen
    » a lacerated kidney that left him peeing blood
    » at least 1 concussion
    » a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder
    » and this mysterious calf/ankle issue that led to this

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    I dunno...it certainly isn't a classy move but I can understand the sentiment from the fans there.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    And I thought Philly fans were the worst beings ever to inhabit the planet …

    Booing Andrew Luck off the field in his last appearance as a Colt? Astonishing. Shameful.
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Agreed. For their entertainment, he had the below. Well-compensated, to be sure, but man made a hard decision and with entirely defensible reasoning, opted to retire. That said, I'd bet good money he tries to make a comeback in a few years if the fire in the belly still has a few embers.

    » Torn cartilage in 2 ribs
    » partially torn abdomen
    » a lacerated kidney that left him peeing blood
    » at least 1 concussion
    » a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder
    » and this mysterious calf/ankle issue that led to this
    And then there is the Twitter brilliance of alarmingly unathletic Doug “Can’t Put My Pants On Right” Gottlieb:

    Retiring cause rehabbing is “too hard” is the most millennial thing ever #AndrewLuck
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    And then there is the Twitter brilliance of alarmingly unathletic Doug “Can’t Put My Pants On Right” Gottlieb:

    Retiring cause rehabbing is “too hard” is the most millennial thing ever #AndrewLuck
    Is there a less likable person in sports media than Doug Gottlieb?

    I had stronger words but decided it wasn't worth the infraction.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Is there a less likable person in sports media than Doug Gottlieb?

    I had stronger words but decided it wasn't worth the infraction.
    He's alarmingly unlikable.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    And Gottlieb is catching a lot of heat from real athletes. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Aikman even went after their mutual employer:

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...K61?li=BBnb7Kz

Similar Threads

  1. 2019-20 DWBB Season
    By CameronBornAndBred in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 149
    Last Post: Yesterday, 07:05 PM
  2. Dukies in the NFL, 2019 Season
    By Acymetric in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 183
    Last Post: 11-20-2019, 08:07 PM
  3. MBB: Emotions about the upcoming (2019-2020) season
    By slower in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 135
    Last Post: 08-23-2019, 02:28 PM
  4. Lax: 2019 Season
    By burnspbesq in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 645
    Last Post: 06-04-2019, 09:06 AM
  5. NBA Regular season thread 2019
    By JasonEvans in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 418
    Last Post: 03-12-2019, 09:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •