Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 NFL Season

Followup: I don't have the patience (or maybe even the competence) to work out all the permutations for the NFL schedule. That said, I checked every season since the NFL went to four 4-team divisions per conference.

You have an average of 9 .500 teams per conference (8.97 to be exact) over the past 17 seasons (starting in 2002). The fewest .500 teams in a conference is 7, this has happened 7 times. For reference, the Seahawks made their sub-.500 appearance in 2010.

AFC NFC
    2018 8 7
    2017 8 10
    2016 10 9
    2015 9 7
    2014 11 7
    2013 10 9
    2012 7 9
    2011 10 10
    2010 9 7
    2009 10 10
    2008 10 11
    2007 8 9
    2006 11 9
    2005 9 9
    2004 10 7
    2003 8 8
    2002 12 7

There are currently 6 teams guaranteed to finish at or above .500 in the NFC this year. Very likely 7. 4 more teams have at least a mathematical chance of reaching .500 (although some of them likely play each other so not all 4 could actually do it).

I mean, it does seem absurd that someone will get into the playoffs from the NFC East, and possibly both wildcards could come from the NFC West.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I mean, it does seem absurd that someone will get into the playoffs from the NFC East, and possibly both wildcards could come from the NFC West.
    2 of: Green Bay, Minnesota, San Fran, Seattle, or LA will be staying home this postseason. The only one of those I don't mind seeing left out is the Rams.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    2 of: Green Bay, Minnesota, San Fran, Seattle, or LA will be staying home this postseason.
    And this is why I agree with the post upthread that if you finish below .500 your spot should be given to a 3rd wildcard team. I agree there should be some weight to winning a division but if every team is below .500 you should not be in the playoffs.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    And this is why I agree with the post upthread that if you finish below .500 your spot should be given to a 3rd wildcard team. I agree there should be some weight to winning a division but if every team is below .500 you should not be in the playoffs.
    I could get behind this. I mean, the Cowboys could HOST the Niners? That's absurd.

2 of: Green Bay, Minnesota, San Fran, Seattle, or LA will be staying home this postseason. The only one of those I don't mind seeing left out is the Rams.
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post

Sorry, only one of those teams will be home, not quite as bad as I thought. Still not good when one of those teams is left out for the Cowboys or the Eagles though.

As a fan of an NFC East team, I'd say that I'd be OK with the over .500 rule for playoff teams.

#HTTR

Yesterday's 48-46 Niners win was a scorigami.

LeVeon Ball Commits TWO crimes

Well, one is not really a crime, it breaks the "code:" Out partying while too "sick" to play:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/l...-with-the-flu/

Bowling in orange leather pants? Multiple felonies …

And the Steelers get a third round pick for "letting" him go.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Well, one is not really a crime, it breaks the "code:" Out partying while too "sick" to play:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/l...-with-the-flu/

Bowling in orange leather pants? Multiple felonies …

And the Steelers get a third round pick for "letting" him go.
    If he was trying to be discreet, a bowling alley in Boonton, NJ (where "Boon" is short for "Boonies" as it is an outer suburb of NYC) would be a good place to do so - not a place where Page 6 would be sending their people. Orange leather pants really helps offset the goal of not being noticed.

I'm guessing Bell and Antonio Brown were not leading members of the Pittsburgh chapter of MENSA when they were on the Steelers together.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post

I'm guessing Bell and Antonio Brown were not leading members of the Pittsburgh chapter of MENSA when they were on the Steelers together.

Combined, they didn't get halfway there ...

Patriots being themselves

"According to NFL.com, some of the footage the Patriots took included video of coaches signaling from the Bengals sideline. On the Patriots' end, they claimed it was all an innocent mistake, while also acknowledging that their crew did violate NFL policy."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/p...ame-on-sunday/

They get caught so often making "innocent" mistakes that obtain information useful in game situations.

How many times DON'T they get caught?

A control freak like Belichek had nothing to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    "According to NFL.com, some of the footage the Patriots took included video of coaches signaling from the Bengals sideline. On the Patriots' end, they claimed it was all an innocent mistake, while also acknowledging that their crew did violate NFL policy."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/p...ame-on-sunday/

They get caught so often making "innocent" mistakes that obtain information useful in game situations.

How many times DON'T they get caught?

A control freak like Belichek had nothing to do with it?
    The amusing thing to me is they are stealing from the 1-12 Bengals. Think about it, that's how deeply the cheating is ingrained.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    The amusing thing to me is they are stealing from the 1-12 Bengals. Think about it, that's how deeply the cheating is ingrained.
    Wasn't one of the previous instances also​ against a pretty bad team?

Wasn't one of the previous instances also​ against a pretty bad team?
    There's so many I can't keep track. (cheating instances, not bad teams...though there are plenty of those also)

What gets me is the people who will say, "It doesn't matter. They're a great team anyway, and they'd have won their Super Bowls without such shenanigans."

Oh really? Sounds like a logical fallacy to me. We can't really know. We can't go back and play the game the same way with just the one change, namely, the secrets gained from illicit video being taken away from them. If they didn't need to video (or deflate) for to get a winning advantage, why do they do so? Perhaps the advantage they get by this kind of cheating is enough to put them over the top. It's like how much better an MLB batter is when they know what pitch is coming. You still have to have a well-timed and executed swing, but knowing what the opposition is going to do is a consequential advantage.

"You especially can't say it makes the difference vs. the Bengals or Browns."

Then why do it? Obviously, because they feel the can't be as sure of winning without doing so.

Bunch of horsepuckey.

To quote Buddy the Elf, "You sit on a throne of lies!"

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    What gets me is the people who will say, "It doesn't matter. They're a great team anyway, and they'd have won their Super Bowls without such shenanigans."

Oh really? Sounds like a logical fallacy to me. We can't really know. We can't go back and play the game the same way with just the one change, namely, the secrets gained from illicit video being taken away from them. If they didn't need to video (or deflate) for to get a winning advantage, why do they do so? Perhaps the advantage they get by this kind of cheating is enough to put them over the top. It's like how much better an MLB batter is when they know what pitch is coming. You still have to have a well-timed and executed swing, but knowing what the opposition is going to do is a consequential advantage.

"You especially can't say it makes the difference vs. the Bengals or Browns."

Then why do it? Obviously, because they feel the can't be as sure of winning without doing so.

Bunch of horsepuckey.

To quote Buddy the Elf, "You sit on a throne of lies!"
    According to the radio this morning, this exact MO (having "Kraft" TV employees taping other teams) got caught by the league years ago. The league has the tapes now, so I assume the tapes will be destroyed, and we'll never hear about it again.

Crowder having a good night for the Jets so far, on a team that is wholly overmatched by the Ravens.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Crowder having a good night for the Jets so far, on a team that is wholly overmatched by the Ravens.
    Was crazy seeing him drop the easiest TD catch on the planet, and then make one of the hardest on the next play.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Happy to see Lamar Jackson break Vick's QB rushing record. Anything to further erase his name from history is a good thing. Don't like the Ravens, but don't like Vick far more.

Stunned that the NFL named Vick an "honorary" Pro Bowl captain. So I guess Ray Rice has hope for next year.