Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: 2019 NFL Season

The NFL has pretty much lost me, but as a former Steelers die-hard, two things warmed my cockles a bit.

Antonio Brown. Once a sure-fire Hall-of-Famer, who knows now? He’ll be 32 next season, time is never an athlete’s friend, and he might never even play again. He averaged over 1,500 yards receiving his last 6 years with the Steelers. Comparable to Terrell Owens as far as great talent with issues, I think Brown has actually had more problems outside the league (which never sits well with those “protecting the shield”). Owens didn’t get in until his 3rd year despite being near the top of every career receiving category. He then became the only recipient to ever skip the induction ceremony. The NFL won’t want to see that again.

Le’Veon Bell. Probable Hall-of-Famer, probably the top all-around back in the league. Time is even less kind to running backs. Skipped last year then had an underwhelming year with the Jets after taking less money than the Steelers were offering (and of course losing about $15 million on his year off). His last 4 years with the Steelers he averaged 91 yards rushing per game (4.54 yards per carry) and 46 yards receiving (8.47 yards per catch). With the Jets, those numbers were 53 (3.22) and 31 (6.98).

Brown may still get into the Hall of Fame. Bell will not.

Steelers really blew this decade considering their talent.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post

Brown may still get into the Hall of Fame. Bell will not.

Steelers really blew this decade considering their talent.
    Or, considering the headcases they had to rely upon, the Steelers did much better than most would have …

Remember, Roethlisberger was quite the d-bag until he got married.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Or, considering the headcases they had to rely upon, the Steelers did much better than most would have …

Remember, Roethlisberger was quite the d-bag until he got married.
    One bright spot tonight, Troy Polamalu made the finalists and will probably make the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility. He's probably the last Steeler I really liked. And last I heard, he is estranged from the organization. Go figure.

New York Football Giants hire 38 year old Joe Judge as head coach; he's never been a head coach at the college or pro level. Diamond in the rough, or crazy hire?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    New York Football Giants hire 38 year old Joe Judge as head coach; he's never been a head coach at the college or pro level. Diamond in the rough, or crazy hire?
    Is NY in meltdown mode again the way they were after Jones' draft pick?

PS...I see they are talking to Garrett as being OC.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Is NY in meltdown mode again the way they were after Jones' draft pick?

PS...I see they are talking to Garrett as being OC.
    I honestly don't watch them that closely...the fact that Belichick strongly recommends him seems to be in his favor. Maybe he's a savant, but now he has to run an entire team, hire coordinators...he's an exceptional chap if he can pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I honestly don't watch them that closely...the fact that Belichick strongly recommends him seems to be in his favor. Maybe he's a savant, but now he has to run an entire team, hire coordinators...he's an exceptional chap if he can pull it off.
    The fact that the wide receivers were one of the weakest links of the Pats does not bode well for him, though one could argue that he made the best of the talent he was given. As a Giants fan I am hoping for the best but I am skeptical of how someone who has never had to deal with the media will do under the very bright lights of NY. I think hiring Garrett would generally be a wise move, though hopefully this won't create the impression that if anything goes wrong, he will have a very short leash and Garrett will be ready to take over. It is interesting that they chose him, leapfrogging over McDaniel.

I also wonder how someone who grew up in Philly ended up playing at Mississippi State, but that is a question for another day...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    The fact that the wide receivers were one of the weakest links of the Pats does not bode well for him, though one could argue that he made the best of the talent he was given. As a Giants fan I am hoping for the best but I am skeptical of how someone who has never had to deal with the media will do under the very bright lights of NY. I think hiring Garrett would generally be a wise move, though hopefully this won't create the impression that if anything goes wrong, he will have a very short leash and Garrett will be ready to take over. It is interesting that they chose him, leapfrogging over McDaniel.

I also wonder how someone who grew up in Philly ended up playing at Mississippi State, but that is a question for another day...
    Yeah, he wasn't responsible for talent acquisition. They just had a bad group of receivers. Although it is somewhat overstated, that is not the worst receiving corps in the NFL, maybe not even bottom half.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Yeah, he wasn't responsible for talent acquisition. They just had a bad group of receivers. Although it is somewhat overstated, that is not the worst receiving corps in the NFL, maybe not even bottom half.
    yeah, initially they were really bad at WR because of injuries, then the situation improved quite a bit.

Joe Judge interview. Even as a Jets fan, I like him. (Read halfway down or so for the Duke connection.)

https://nypost.com/2020/01/11/joe-ju...pasteboard_app