Red Wolf Now Considered A Full Species, Not A Hybrid

The red wolf has been shown to be a full species, and not a hybrid with the coyote as was thought. The Academy of Sciences released this report recently, and will now force the USFWS to give them full protection again.
    The USFWS had protected the animals since their reintroduction back in late 80's, but some breeding with coyotes had them rethinking their position, even after evidence showed that (1) usually just young male wolves not associated with a pack were doing the hybridization, (2) wolves will kill coyotes found on their range, and (3) only 4% of the red wolves showed evidence of coyote ancestry.
    The USFWS shrunk the wolves territory by 90%, and the endangered species designation was lifted, which allowed killing of the wolves on private land.
    In the 30 years of the project, just 7 incidents of red wolf predation on livestock were recorded. Compared to 34 by black bears, and over 250 by coyotes...

And opponents of the wolves claim the wolves are drastically reducing the deer herd, which is not true. In Hyde County, more deer were harvested in the years 2003-2012 than ever before, and these were the years the red wolf population was at its peak. (156 wolves)
    Today, less than 35 remain in the wild.
    The red wolf is a native to NC, and here in the eastern part of the state they are making their last stand.
    If someone here would make a poll (I never have tried) I would love to see how many people feel this beautiful symbol should be protected..https://www.southernenvironment.org/...wling_64kb.mp3

^ I saw one once in SE North Carolina, but unfortunately it was dead, vehicular wolficide...a very reddish tinge to it...nice looking animal.

We did a guided day kayak trip through the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge in NC a few years ago. It's one of the areas where they've attempted Red Wolf reintroduction programs. They've got a tough road ahead --- wide-roaming predators on the heavily developed US East Coast just don't have a lot of real estate. Reminds me of the panthers down in the Everglades. They need lots of wild range and out East, we just don't have much of it to support robust populations.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    We did a guided day kayak trip through the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge in NC a few years ago. It's one of the areas where they've attempted Red Wolf reintroduction programs. They've got a tough road ahead --- wide-roaming predators on the heavily developed US East Coast just don't have a lot of real estate. Reminds me of the panthers down in the Everglades. They need lots of wild range and out East, we just don't have much of it to support robust populations.
    I have always wanted to visit and do the wolf howl tour. Was it worth the trip?

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I have always wanted to visit and do the wolf howl tour. Was it worth the trip?
    We did it too. Yes it was. Listen to howling in my first post.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Being as USFWS cut their habitat by 80 to 90%, by removing their protection from private lands..