Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hail NHHS

Recall Sonny saying the difference between him and Otto Graham was that Otto liked milk shakes and chocolate bars and he liked Scotch and blondes.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Anyone remember the special done on TV by Walter Cronkite: "The Violent World of Sam Huff"?
    Sure !!

What's the question??

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    I remember Sonny with the Skins..Before my time when he was at Duke. He grew up in my hometown, Wilmington. Pretty remarkable that Sonny & Roman Gabriel both played at New Hanover High School and were starting QB's in the NFL at the same time during a time there were 15 NFL teams. Wilmington was still a small, sleepy undiscovered city back then.

In 1967 the Skins & Rams played to a 28-28 tie. I believe their high school coach flew to L.A. for the game. I was guess that was a perfect outcome for him.
    I've always thought that New Hanover/Wilmington tie was one of the all time amazing trivia type questions in NFL history. Also, great story about the 28-28 tie.

My Dad taught Sonny J at Duke.

I asked if he was a good student. My Dad said, "He was a great quarterback."

... He grew up in my hometown, Wilmington. Pretty remarkable that Sonny & Roman Gabriel both played at New Hanover High School and were starting QB's in the NFL at the same time during a time there were 15 NFL teams. Wilmington was still a small, sleepy undiscovered city back then.

In 1967 the Skins & Rams played to a 28-28 tie. I believe their high school coach flew to L.A. for the game. I was guess that was a perfect outcome for him.
    Sonny threw for four TDs, and the Redskins' record after the game stood at 2-2-2: https://www.pro-football-reference.c...6710220ram.htm

I remember Sonny with the Skins..Before my time when he was at Duke. He grew up in my hometown, Wilmington. Pretty remarkable that Sonny & Roman Gabriel both played at New Hanover High School and were starting QB's in the NFL at the same time during a time there were 15 NFL teams. Wilmington was still a small, sleepy undiscovered city back then.

Sonny at Duke
    Norm Snead at Wake
    Roman Gabriel at State
    I don't remember a great QB at Cheat U in those early years, but they did have Chris Hanburger, LB and Charlie Choo Justice, RB who played for the Skins. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Sonny at Duke
    Norm Snead at Wake
    Roman Gabriel at State
    I don't remember a great QB at Cheat U in those early years, but they did have Chris Hanburger, LB and Charlie Choo Justice, RB who played for the Skins. GoDuke!
    If I recall correctly, the Cheats didn’t even have a regular QB starter in the NFL until recent years. Certainly no star QBs ever.

Sonny at Duke
    Norm Snead at Wake
    Roman Gabriel at State
    As a Redskins fan I didn't have any trouble rooting for Chris Hanburger.

Ken Willard was also a pretty good UNC-turned-NFL player in that decade.

Carolina had a series of good college QBs in the '60s, Junior Edge and Danny Talbott among them. But none had impactful NFL careers.

After Jurgensen, Duke had Don Altman, Walt Rappold, Gil Garner, Scotty Glacken, Al Woodall and Leo Hart among others. A pretty good run of college QBs. But no NFL stars in that group.

And, of course, Jurgensen and Snead were once traded for each other, a trade that worked out well for Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    As a Redskins fan I didn't have any trouble rooting for Chris Hanburger.

Ken Willard was also a pretty good UNC-turned-NFL player in that decade.

Carolina had a series of good college QBs in the '60s, Junior Edge and Danny Talbott among them. But none had impactful NFL careers.

After Jurgensen, Duke had Don Altman, Walt Rappold, Gil Garner, Scotty Glacken, Al Woodall and Leo Hart among others. A pretty good run of college QBs. But no NFL stars in that group.

And, of course, Jurgensen and Snead were once traded for each other, a trade that worked out well for Washington.
    Thanks for the road down memory lane, Jim. I vaguely remember Willard, Edge and Talbott. Was Talbott from Rocky Mount or am I thinking about another player? I remember watching Altman, Rappold, Garner, Glacken, Woodall and Leo Hart. Was it Altman and Rappold that alternated at QB during games? I think Hart was involved in the famous "shoe string" play against the cheats. And in my estimation the Skins won the Jurgensen-Snead trade.

Thanks for the road down memory lane, Jim. I vaguely remember Willard, Edge and Talbott. Was Talbott from Rocky Mount or am I thinking about another player? I remember watching Altman, Rappold, Garner, Glacken, Woodall and Leo Hart. Was it Altman and Rappold that alternated at QB during games? I think Hart was involved in the famous "shoe string" play against the cheats. And in my estimation the Skins won the Jurgensen-Snead trade.
    Hart was involved to the extent that he did nothing but pretend to tie his shoe while Wes Chesson skulked down the sideline with the ball. I believe I have mentioned before (vis a vis the secrecy, large Cones of Silence, that surround football programs today) that the week before that game, a housemate of mine was running laps around the practice field and watched them run the play repeatedly, so we knew it was coming (though it wasn't clear to us how it would precisely unfold).
    A most bizarre play indeed. And fruitful.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Hart was involved to the extent that he did nothing but pretend to tie his shoe while Wes Chesson skulked down the sideline with the ball. I believe I have mentioned before (vis a vis the secrecy, large Cones of Silence, that surround football programs today) that the week before that game, a housemate of mine was running laps around the practice field and watched them run the play repeatedly, so we knew it was coming (though it wasn't clear to us how it would precisely unfold).
    A most bizarre play indeed. And fruitful.
    Very fruitful. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Hart was involved to the extent that he did nothing but pretend to tie his shoe while Wes Chesson skulked down the sideline with the ball. .
    True dat...of course, that was significant involvement...as he was the QB and oh yeah, he was Leo Hart, so he commanded attention from the D.

Talbott was from Rocky Mount. I have three male cousins about my age who grew up in Rocky Mount and all I heard growing up was Danny Talbott, the classic football-baseball-basketball-prep superstar, BMOC.

Junior Edge was from the Fayetteville area--Massey Hill, IIRC-and the Fayetteville Observer was my local paper growing up. So, he also was a big part of my earliest years watching sports.

Altman had one of the more interesting academic years in Duke history. He quarterbacked Duke to the 1960 ACC title and subsequent Cotton Bowl win over Lance Alworth and Arkansas. A few months later he was the star pitcher on Duke's College World Series team. His nickname was "Ace" and you can see why.

Rappold backed up Altman in 1960 and split QB duties with Garner in 1961 and 1962.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Talbott was from Rocky Mount. I have three male cousins about my age who grew up in Rocky Mount and all I heard growing up was Danny Talbott, the classic football-baseball-basketball-prep superstar, BMOC.

Junior Edge was from the Fayetteville area--Massey Hill, IIRC-and the Fayetteville Observer was my local paper growing up. So, he also was a big part of my earliest years watching sports.

Altman had one of the more interesting academic years in Duke history. He quarterbacked Duke to the 1960 ACC title and subsequent Cotton Bowl win over Lance Alworth and Arkansas. A few months later he was the star pitcher on Duke's College World Series team. His nickname was "Ace" and you can see why.

Rappold backed up Altman in 1960 and split QB duties with Garner in 1961 and 1962.
    And... Don Altman is NOT in the Duke HOF if I remember correctly? His stepson is my neighbor. How is it possible that Ace isn't recognized properly for his amazing legacy - until recently an outlier for winning a bowl game and making a World Series.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    If I recall correctly, the Cheats didn’t even have a regular QB starter in the NFL until recent years...………..
    until recent years

Ahh, the magic of additional benefits.
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    And... Don Altman is NOT in the Duke HOF if I remember correctly? His stepson is my neighbor. How is it possible that Ace isn't recognized properly for his amazing legacy - until recently an outlier for winning a bowl game and making a World Series.
    Don appears to have played three years in the minors to somewhat indifferent success. Don't know what you're referring to.

Ahhh! Sun dawns over Marblhehead -- the College World Series!

Altman was first team and then 2nd team All-ACC and, as of a few years ago, was by far the Duke all-time leader in ERA at 1.61. (And with aluminum bats, I don't think he has lost his lead.
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 08-16-2019 at 04:13 PM.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Don appears to have played three years in the minors to somewhat indifferent success. Don't know what you're referring to.

Ahhh! Sun dawns over Marblhehead -- the College World Series!

Altman was first team and then 2nd team All-ACC and, as of a few years ago, was by far the Duke all-time leader in ERA at 1.61. (And with aluminum bats, I don't think he has lost his lead.
    ----------------------------
    Don't know what you're referring to.
    i'm not sure if this was directed at my post. FWIW, that was directed at Post #27. Thought it was obvious, and gratuitous yes, but well deserved.
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Sonny threw for four TDs, and the Redskins' record after the game stood at 2-2-2: https://www.pro-football-reference.c...6710220ram.htm
    Wow.. Very good...

Happy birthday

Today Sonny turns 85. Happy birthday.

Christian Adolph Jurgensen, III: https://www.profootballhof.com/players/sonny-jurgensen/

Duke with famous hoops and football players named Christian.

Nice HOF commercial: https://www.profootballhof.com/video...nny-jurgensen/
    Last edited by Reilly; 08-23-2019 at 12:08 AM.