Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bats In Trouble

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    We discovered when Nephew Dave was missing in Idaho, more people are killed by bears in Detroit than are in Idaho. They were lost in the woods so any small comfort we could find was nice. They were found safe within 48 hours of being reported missing.
    If you don't mind my asking, what happened that nephew Dave got lost in the woods? Glad he was found safe and sound.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Went to Linville caverns last summer and we had to do the same procedure with the antifungal foot wash. Certain spots of the caves were off limits, and the guide said if they couldn't get it under control, they would have to close the caves until further notice as a precaution.

On a side note on that trip, my wife and I took a selfie and a young girl that was a guide happened to be in the background. She tried to jump out of the picture, and when she realized she didn't make it out of the frame, she immediately came up to us almost in a panic and said, "so sorry, but you have to delete that. I don't want to be in it. If you like, I can take it for you." I agreed and I could tell she swiped back a couple of pictures to make sure I had actually deleted it.

Later on, after the tour, an Asian family that spoke broken English asked her to take a picture with their two young kids. She looked mortified and refused, and nearly ran away into the gift shop.

Weird.
    Witnesses protection program lol.
    Just a fyi if your in the Charleston area .dont take pictures of the basket weavers some will start throwing stuff at you and you may be cursed in gullah or english.ask first . If u hear the word bucra and are caucasian leave .
    I used to think they were crazy in some their Beliefs .but ive been patched uo by the root doctor quite a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    While it is true bats carry rabies, it is present in only 3% of the population, making foxes, raccoons and skunks as the main culprits. Bats eat many insects. A big brown bat is capable of consuming 2000 mosquitoes in a single night.
    We have pleanty around here .maybe they can relocate some that way when they can control that fungus.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    If you don't mind my asking, what happened that nephew Dave got lost in the woods? Glad he was found safe and sound.
    He and his friend Erik, both experienced hikers, were backpacking outside McCall Idaho and didn't return as scheduled. (Around 26 hours of nervousness for family but 48 or so hours for the wives.) They were taking another trail back that wasn't we3ll marked and not maintained and got turned around. They did a lot of bushwhacking and, when they realized they were not heading in the correct direction (sun rising in the west was a clue) they determined they were better off staying in that direction as they would reach camp grounds there probably faster than if they turned around and tried to get back to the car. They knew they were ok and where they were but had no way of letting their wives know as the cell connectivity was limited. Eventually, they came across 2 forest service workers who drove them to their headquarters where they could then contact the wives and search and rescue folks. Cool story out of it - there is someone in Montana that basically funds helicopter searches, with infrared capability, to help out in these situations. It's his way of using the money he made to do help others. Not sure if Lucy, the dog, will be very eager to go camping in the near future.

His brother, Nephew Mike, was the one that did the research on the bear fatality statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    He and his friend Erik, both experienced hikers, were backpacking outside McCall Idaho and didn't return as scheduled. (Around 26 hours of nervousness for family but 48 or so hours for the wives.) They were taking another trail back that wasn't we3ll marked and not maintained and got turned around. They did a lot of bushwhacking and, when they realized they were not heading in the correct direction (sun rising in the west was a clue) they determined they were better off staying in that direction as they would reach camp grounds there probably faster than if they turned around and tried to get back to the car. They knew they were ok and where they were but had no way of letting their wives know as the cell connectivity was limited. Eventually, they came across 2 forest service workers who drove them to their headquarters where they could then contact the wives and search and rescue folks. Cool story out of it - there is someone in Montana that basically funds helicopter searches, with infrared capability, to help out in these situations. It's his way of using the money he made to do help others. Not sure if Lucy, the dog, will be very eager to go camping in the near future.

His brother, Nephew Mike, was the one that did the research on the bear fatality statistics.
    Glad the story had a happy ending! It doesn't take much to get turned around in the woods, that's for sure. Good that they left day/time out info and roughly where they were. I've got some people that don't do that for one reason or another. I did a time or two in my 20s I guess but it drives me nuts now. Such a simple precaution.