Thread: Luce

Luce

So, here is my 100 word review of maybe the best film I have seen all summer.

Luce (Kelvin Harrison Jr.) is the poster boy for The American Dream, a high school senior who was rescued from a war-torn African nation a decade ago and adopted by white, upper class parents in suburban Virginia (played by Naomi Watts and Tim Roth). Luce is brilliant, articulate, popular, and the star of the track team. But, when a teacher (Octavia Spencer) begins to look a little more closely at Luce’s life, she begins to wonder if something sinister may be lurking beneath the surface. Is this wonder-kid harboring secrets or is this a case of a teacher trying to find something that simply is not there?
    The movie is not simple or tidy and the ending is somewhat jumbled, but I have already spent hours talking about this film with other critics who have seen it. It is the kind of movie you will want to dissect and debate. It has critical and powerful things to say about race in America and, much like "Get Out", that takes what could have been a conventional story (a horror story in one case, a mystery drama in the other) and elevates it into something much more important. I am certain some folks who see Luce will be angry at the film and may even want to dismiss it... but others will (like me) be absolutely enthralled.

The movie features as good an ensemble cast as you will find. Roth, Watts, Spencer, and several other supporting players are great... but it is Harrison who is the revelation. His portrayal of Luce is riveting and unnerving. I could not decide if I loved him or feared him... probably both.

The year is still young and I am sure there are many wonderful films still to come to theaters, but I will be stunned if Luce is not among my ten best when 2019 is done and I expect Kevin Harrison Jr to be a strong contender for my personal Best Actor award.

-Jason "Luce is in limited release, so you may have to wait a couple weeks for it to get to your market... please trust me and see it!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Better than "Last Black Man in San Francisco"?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Better than "Last Black Man in San Francisco"?
    I have not had a chance to see Last Black Man yet. I missed the screening and it came and went from Atlanta theaters. I am sure they will send me a screener later in the year when it gets to be time to vote on awards. I have heard that Last Black Man is kinda slow -- gorgeous and brilliantly acted, but not the most compelling story (somewhat like Beale Street lat year). I can tell you that Luce has a tremendously compelling and mysterious story that moves at a brisk pace so I suspect it will be more of a crowd pleaser... though maybe not as artistic as LBM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Luce moved into several new markets this weekend, now playing in 58 theaters nationwide (it had been in just 24 last week). Check your local listings and please, please, please go see this remarkable movie.

Me and my film critic buddy, Josh, just recorded a podcast in which we try to convince everyone we can to see this film.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-evans-1...ght-about-luce

Just a technical comment on the podcast. There were times I could not hear Josh very well. I know you probably recorded the conversation while both of you were on the phone. But the volume difference did make it difficult at a couple points.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Just a technical comment on the podcast. There were times I could not hear Josh very well. I know you probably recorded the conversation while both of you were on the phone. But the volume difference did make it difficult at a couple points.
    Thanks. I will try to fix that the next time Josh calls in by phone.