Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 70
  1. #21
    I get DirecTV Now, soon to be rebranded as ATT TV now, as the way I get ESPN and ESPN2 post cord cutting.

    My hope is DirecTV extends to DirecTV Now, and expecting not.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tampa
    ACC Network Extra on August 22 gets rebranded with the abbreviation ACCNX FYI. So ACCN is the linear channel and ACCNX is the digital streaming part. TV schedules will reflect these terms.
    ___________________
    Mike Stein
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

  3. #23
    The FSU AD is now advising FSU fans who are customers of some carriers to not just ask their carrier to carry ACCN but to switch carriers. Even though there's no contract yet with Spectrum, he's not including Spectrum on the list, suggesting to me that a deal with Spectrum is nearing completion.

  4. #24
    So my directv is currently not showing cbs nor fox. I wanted to watch the golf on cbs today, so I used the antenna. For some crazy reason my antenna, in New Mexico, picked up the ACC digital network. Not sure what the heck that is, but why would that be on antenna here?

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    So my directv is currently not showing cbs nor fox. I wanted to watch the golf on cbs today, so I used the antenna. For some crazy reason my antenna, in New Mexico, picked up the ACC digital network. Not sure what the heck that is, but why would that be on antenna here?
    I think you were watching this channel, which is over the air in a number of markets:
    https://watchstadium.com/where-to-watch/

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    I think you were watching this channel, which is over the air in a number of markets:
    https://watchstadium.com/where-to-watch/
    So my wife figured it out. After the antenna station run out, Samsung posts their digital channels. ACC digital network is one of them.

  7. #27
    Iíd be surprised if all the big carriers didnít sign them up by the season start.

    Cable programming bloat like this only hastens cord-cutting. Most subs donít want or need another ESPN channel to pay for in an eventual bill increase.

  8. #28
    scottdude8's Avatar
    scottdude8 is offline Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Toronto

    For some context...

    When the B10 Network started (which has to be almost a decade ago now, believe it or not) there was the exact same confusion and stress level, but probably amplified since it was the first of its kind. Comcast was threatening not to carry it for the longest time, which would've kept almost 50% of the Big 10 footprint out of the picture. But if memory serves by the time the season rolled around they had struck a deal, and the only issue was with some of the smaller carriers (and maybe the cheaper satellite companies like DISH).

    This seems to just be the game that both sides feel the need to play to negotiate the price and whatnot, but both sides should be very motivated to get a deal done. From the carrier side they run the risk of angering their customer base, and considering one of the major reason many aren't "cord-cutting" is live sports it seems like there would be an extra impetus not to alienate this group of customers. From the network perspective they know that the early days can be sink or swim... if ACCN doesn't gain traction as a legitimate sports network early it could very quickly be pushed to the backburner of both cable packages and people's minds. I'm sure somewhere they're haggling over the last couple cents in the deal, and who those cents go to will depend on how many calls/complaints the companies get.

    TL;DR: this scenario has all been played out before and it seems to work out for 95% of carriers. I wouldn't start worrying yet.
    Scott Rich on the front page

    Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

    Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    When the B10 Network started (which has to be almost a decade ago now, believe it or not) there was the exact same confusion and stress level, but probably amplified since it was the first of its kind. Comcast was threatening not to carry it for the longest time, which would've kept almost 50% of the Big 10 footprint out of the picture. But if memory serves by the time the season rolled around they had struck a deal, and the only issue was with some of the smaller carriers (and maybe the cheaper satellite companies like DISH).

    This seems to just be the game that both sides feel the need to play to negotiate the price and whatnot, but both sides should be very motivated to get a deal done. From the carrier side they run the risk of angering their customer base, and considering one of the major reason many aren't "cord-cutting" is live sports it seems like there would be an extra impetus not to alienate this group of customers. From the network perspective they know that the early days can be sink or swim... if ACCN doesn't gain traction as a legitimate sports network early it could very quickly be pushed to the backburner of both cable packages and people's minds. I'm sure somewhere they're haggling over the last couple cents in the deal, and who those cents go to will depend on how many calls/complaints the companies get.

    TL;DR: this scenario has all been played out before and it seems to work out for 95% of carriers. I wouldn't start worrying yet.
    I agree for those in the ACC geography. For those of us not in ACC land, which encompasses A LOT of Duke fans given our nationwide footprint, on the other hand...Just like B10 Network is part of the package in geographies that are part of the B1G footprint and harder/expensive to get for those outside of it (i.e. not part of standard package for sure). Is there any chance Chicago is considered ACC area given the closness to ND? Hahahaha. I can only hope...but obviously extremely unlikely.

  10. #30
    scottdude8's Avatar
    scottdude8 is offline Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I agree for those in the ACC geography. For those of us not in ACC land, which encompasses A LOT of Duke fans given our nationwide footprint, on the other hand...Just like B10 Network is part of the package in geographies that are part of the B1G footprint and harder/expensive to get for those outside of it (i.e. not part of standard package for sure). Is there any chance Chicago is considered ACC area given the closness to ND? Hahahaha. I can only hope...but obviously extremely unlikely.
    Good point. Although B10 Network is typically included in "higher tier" sports packages even outside of the footprint, and in most package nowadays you have to get such a package to even get ESPNU, right? So probably not that much different for those outside the footprint.
    Scott Rich on the front page

    Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

    Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Good point. Although B10 Network is typically included in "higher tier" sports packages even outside of the footprint, and in most package nowadays you have to get such a package to even get ESPNU, right? So probably not that much different for those outside the footprint.
    I assume you meant to say "even inside the footprint"? In Chicago, B10 Network is in the same package as ESPN for Xfinity. ESPNU is a separate package (which I do not get). So I don't pay anything "extra" for the B10 Network (of course I realize it's baked into the price, but it's in the standard cable package if you want channels like CNN, TLC, Bravo, and ESPN.)

  12. #32
    The Clemson AD is tweeting that Spectrum is now on the bus.

  13. #33
    scottdude8's Avatar
    scottdude8 is offline Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Toronto

    First big domino falls: Charter agrees to carry ACCN

    Details from the horse's mouth.

    I would imagine whatever the intricacies of this deal with "set the bar" for any of the remaining hold outs. As I mentioned in another thread, this whole thing is reminding me more and more of all the drama with the launch of the B10 Network way back when, which is to say I have a feeling everything will work out in the end (with the only possibly annoyance being whether ACCN is part of the "basic" cable package or whether you'd need an "advanced" sports package to get it).
    Scott Rich on the front page

    Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

    Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

  14. #34
    scottdude8's Avatar
    scottdude8 is offline Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I assume you meant to say "even inside the footprint"? In Chicago, B10 Network is in the same package as ESPN for Xfinity. ESPNU is a separate package (which I do not get). So I don't pay anything "extra" for the B10 Network (of course I realize it's baked into the price, but it's in the standard cable package if you want channels like CNN, TLC, Bravo, and ESPN.)
    Yeah I can see how my post was confusing. To clarify: when I was living in Michigan and paying for a very simple Comcast cable plan, ESPN, ESPN2, and B10 were included (along with FS1 and I think even maybe FS2). ESPNU and SECN (remember SECN is ESPN affiliated, much like ACCN) were not in this basic package, but would be included if you paid for the "extra" sports package.

    So what I meant to say was this: if you life outside the ACC geographical footprint, in all likelihood you'll have to upgrade your sports package to get ACCN, but you probably already had to do that to see games that were on ESPNU. Inside the footprint it isn't as clear, but I imagine the plan is for ACCN to be a part of the "basic" package just like B10 was for me in Michigan (side note: similarly, B10 network is available nationwide although typically in a "bonus" package, just like SECN was for me in Michigan).
    Scott Rich on the front page

    Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

    Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

  15. #35

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Details from the horse's mouth.

    I would imagine whatever the intricacies of this deal with "set the bar" for any of the remaining hold outs. As I mentioned in another thread, this whole thing is reminding me more and more of all the drama with the launch of the B10 Network way back when, which is to say I have a feeling everything will work out in the end (with the only possibly annoyance being whether ACCN is part of the "basic" cable package or whether you'd need an "advanced" sports package to get it).
    yes, that is the key question...cable companies generally don't like to pay for new channels without new revenue...

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Honolulu
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Details from the horse's mouth.

    I would imagine whatever the intricacies of this deal with "set the bar" for any of the remaining hold outs. As I mentioned in another thread, this whole thing is reminding me more and more of all the drama with the launch of the B10 Network way back when, which is to say I have a feeling everything will work out in the end (with the only possibly annoyance being whether ACCN is part of the "basic" cable package or whether you'd need an "advanced" sports package to get it).
    As a Spectrum customer, this is great news!

    The horse's mouth also answered a question I've long had: Will ACCN games be available to stream through the ESPN app--assuming the user subscribes to a provider that carries it--since the ACCN is an ESPN channel? The answer, thankfully, appears to be yes:
    All ACCN games will also be available on the ESPN app to authenticated pay TV subscribers.
    Downloading a separate ACCN app for streaming wouldn't be too much of an issue, but I already have the ESPN app, and now I won't have to keep track of whether a given game is on ESPN or ACCN. The one-stop shopping experience is appreciated.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tampa
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Details from the horse's mouth.

    I would imagine whatever the intricacies of this deal with "set the bar" for any of the remaining hold outs. As I mentioned in another thread, this whole thing is reminding me more and more of all the drama with the launch of the B10 Network way back when, which is to say I have a feeling everything will work out in the end (with the only possibly annoyance being whether ACCN is part of the "basic" cable package or whether you'd need an "advanced" sports package to get it).
    Keep in mind that the entire Charter/Spectrum Disney package was up for renewal at the end of August, so ACCN was being used as part of the renewal carrot. Other carriers don't have their Disney deals up, so they are negotiating to add ACCN to their stable of channels until the next Disney deal for all of the channels, so it isn't exactly the same terms and the Charter deal was always guaranteed to happen this month.
    ___________________
    Mike Stein
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    Keep in mind that the entire Charter/Spectrum Disney package was up for renewal at the end of August, so ACCN was being used as part of the renewal carrot. Other carriers don't have their Disney deals up, so they are negotiating to add ACCN to their stable of channels until the next Disney deal for all of the channels, so it isn't exactly the same terms and the Charter deal was always guaranteed to happen this month.
    yeah, the fact that (for example) DirecTV is still squabbling with a number of heavily in demand local stations (the Nexstar beef, among others) illustrates that they (and other cable companies) do not just merrily pay out more money when they don't have to...subscribers are somewhat sensitive to increased costs...so we're apt to see some tough bargaining before the ACCN shows up everywhere.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Yeah, this is something that I think needs clarification and may be phrased in a misleading way in some of the recent articles both here and elsewhere. As far as I understand it, ESPN+ does not include the ESPN networks, which includes ACCN (much like SECN). So the new Disney+ bundle that includes ESPN+ would not include ACCN (like one of the recent front page articles suggests), just like getting ESPN+ doesn't get you ESPN or ESPN2. ESPN+ is "extra" content on top of the ESPN networks, and doesn't include the networks themselves.

    So if you really are a traditional "cord-cutter" looking to get ACCN, YouTubeTV might be the way you have to go. To be honest, this is one of the reasons I think that even more people haven't cut the cord, i.e. access to live and local sports content. If I was still in the US (things are made much more complicated for me being in Canada now, haha), I would cut the cord in a second if I knew I could get access to all of my sports as part of one of the various packages, but nothing seems to fit the bill yet. (In Canada, I'm essentially forced to stick with crappy Bell Fibe TV to get my college sports, as they offer a "college sports package" a la carte whereas their main competitor, Rodgers, only has it as part of a huge and expensive sports bundle.)

    All of this is a long way to say that I think we've all been confusing some key points when it comes to ESPN+, ACCN, and cord-cutting, and we should make sure we're all talking about the same things so as not to confuse anyone further!
    Maybe this has already been posted, so I decided to check out the ACCN on my ROKU device. In my search I found it was on the actual ROKU channel app itself, and listed as free. It was called the ACC Digital Network. Had no problem getting it and I watched it for a few minutes. DISH is my primary tv provider and so far has not included the ACC network yet. But I strongly believe they will do so for they already have the Longhorn Network, SEC,
    and a couple of others all grouped together in the 400 range of channels. Hope this helps!!

Similar Threads

  1. How to watch Duke games after cutting the cord?
    By FerryFor50 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-04-2017, 07:25 PM
  2. How/where to watch Duke games in Toronto
    By just a lemma in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-02-2010, 03:12 PM
  3. HS all-star games to watch
    By dgoore97 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2009, 08:24 AM
  4. Watch the games online free
    By CameronBornAndBred in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-20-2009, 08:08 PM
  5. Where/how to watch games in London?
    By dairedevil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-14-2007, 10:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •