Duke All-Access with Coach Mike Elko - Ep. 3

Didn't know where to put this... so here it is. Mostly about the Lafayette game. Also interesting... Wayne Carter on 100 yards with Jay Bilas...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KOL3dfLUbg

Also some footage from practice. Looks like the guys are wearing some kind of helmet with padding on the outside... looks kinda funny. And for sprints, they had those chest straps that looks to maybe holding those exercise monitors that we've seen on the basketball team.

GO DUKE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    …Looks like the guys are wearing some kind of helmet with padding on the outside... looks kinda funny…
    Guardian Caps.
    Thanks for sharing! Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Guardian Caps.
    Thanks for sharing! Good stuff.
    So why aren’t those (safer) helmets worn in games too? Because they look funny or would be harder to stylize with our Duke D? Not a good reason in my book or for my (or child’s) head if I or he were playing.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    So why aren’t those (safer) helmets worn in games too? Because they look funny or would be harder to stylize with our Duke D? Not a good reason in my book or for my (or child’s) head if I or he were playing.
    There are a few high school teams around the country that have begun wearing them in games. We'll see if it catches on.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    There are a few high school teams around the country that have begun wearing them in games. We'll see if it catches on.
    I'm glad Duke requires all of its players to wear them in practice. UNC does not so most don't.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Yeah, there are a handful of high school teams here and there where they're beginning to catch on for in-game use, but the general reaction from most observers seems to be duuuurrrhh it looks weird I'd rather have a brain injury than look like that.
    ...which, to me, says a lot about ingrained football culture (and really, American culture in general).

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    I'm glad Duke requires all of its players to wear them in practice. UNC does not so most don't.
    I believe some Duke faculty have been heavily engaged in helmet and other anti-impact designs for use in both sports and military applications. I don't know if they provided data for these particular designs, but they may well have, and I'm not at all surprised to learn that Duke is well in tune with their daily use.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Yeah, there are a handful of high school teams here and there where they're beginning to catch on for in-game use, but the general reaction from most observers seems to be duuuurrrhh it looks weird I'd rather have a brain injury than look like that.
    ...which, to me, says a lot about ingrained football culture (and really, American culture in general).
    Here's an article in which Florida head coach Billy Napier addresses the use of "guardian caps" on helmets in practice, which is mandatory for all Gator players:

https://www.on3.com/college/florida-...ion-reduction/

anything they can do to help the players is great, but the notion of a "safe helmet" is pretty much oxymoronic. Sure, you can pad the outside to minimize hard hits, but you can't eliminate THE major problem, which is the brain sloshing around in the skull, coming to a hard stop after every collision (which is essentially every play for linemen). The NFL total jive on this issue is SO disingenuous ("players safety is our number one priority!")/