Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I think all you need is a cable login and that the ESPN+ subscription isn't necessary, but I also have ESPN+ with the Disney bundle...would be nice if someone who doesn't have ESPN+ could confirm that they can see the RSN/Bally games on ESPN when out of market.
    I don't have an ESPN+ subscription and I can access the RSN/Bally and ACCN games on my cable TV, as well as ACCNX and all other ESPN-affiliated channels online through the ESPN app, because my Spectrum Cable package includes the ESPN channels.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    I don't have an ESPN+ subscription and I can access the RSN/Bally and ACCN games on my cable TV, as well as ACCNX and all other ESPN-affiliated channels online through the ESPN app, because my Spectrum Cable package includes the ESPN channels.
    I think it's bizarre I can watch them at all, regardless of the VPN, since Bally dropped Hulu and other streaming services. But my Hulu login is what I use to watch the games through ESPN.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I live in Nashville. I gave up last night. I have Comcast so I pay $60 a month for Hulu. I thought game last night was on ACC network. I tuned in, great picture, no sound. Then a few minutes in the picture went away with some message about game delay. I then realized the game was on RSN, which means Bally Sports South. But the Predators were playing last night so the game was not available. I then signed into ESPN app through Hulu, not Comcast, and never could get the game to stream. I finally gave up and watched the score on gamecast. Could this become more complicated? I wish I could just pay for each individual game or shows I want to watch. I HATE the current system! I am now paying about $400 a month for all the multiple services and still can’t watch what I want.

With no apparent warning, it seems that all ESPN networks (including the ACC Network) went dark on Spectrum at 8 PM Eastern tonight. This seems like a massive miscalculation for Spectrum - if it lasts, I don't see how they avoid hemorrhaging subscribers.

But don't worry, ESPN+ works. So I can watch NC A&T, but not Florida-Utah. This is insanity.

Casual reminder that Spectrum is the one trying to keep prices low*, while Disney is the one trying to raise prices. It always seems weird to me that every time this happens the reaction is along the lines of "Just cave to the demands and raise my rates as much as they want already!"

*Not out of altruism, of course, they just have some incentive to keep prices low to retain subscribers where Disney has no such incentive.

Also, I have Spectrum and am having no issues watching the Wake game for whatever that is worth.

Casual reminder that Spectrum is the one trying to keep prices low*, while Disney is the one trying to raise prices. It always seems weird to me that every time this happens the reaction is along the lines of "Just cave to the demands and raise my rates as much as they want already!"

*Not out of altruism, of course, they just have some incentive to keep prices low to retain subscribers where Disney has no such incentive.

Also, I have Spectrum and am having no issues watching the Wake game for whatever that is worth.
    I hear you...but Spectrum just raised my bill again this month even though it's supposed to be fixed for another six months. Disney is providing a unique service. Spectrum has competition, and live sports are pretty much the only reason I've stuck with them. If I fire anybody, it's going to be Spectrum, not Disney. Therefore it's in Spectrum's best interests to find a way to resolve this, even if it means making less profit.

it's all a mess now. I don't get ABC or Fox networks right now (and it's been this way for months) since DirecTV and the company that owns my local affiliates have been squabbling.

If this is true, then the whole thing is even more idiotic:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/09/01/disn...agreement.html

"They said they pushed for a revamped deal with Disney that would see Charter cable customers receive access to Disney’s ad-supported streaming services like Disney+ and ESPN+ at no additional cost.

This seemed to be the sticking point as Charter said it accepted Disney’s request for higher fees"
    I already get Disney+ (no ads) and ESPN+ at no additional cost. That means that I don't get ESPN because Charter is trying to get me something for free that I already get for free. Hooray!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil2K View Post
    But don't worry, ESPN+ works. So I can watch NC A&T, but not Florida-Utah. This is insanity.
    Is the Duke/Clemson game set for live streaming on ESPN+? I may renew that subscription for a month if so.
    No soup for you!

Quote Originally Posted by AtlBluRew View Post
    Is the Duke/Clemson game set for live streaming on ESPN+? I may renew that subscription for a month if so.
    Only if you can also watch it on ESPN. All ESPN network content is blocked on ESPN+ for me. The only content that I can see is the "unique" content only airing on ESPN+.

Do yourselves a favor and get YouTubeTV. Better product for less money.

This is starting to look like a fight to the death, although at this point each side will have maximal demands and will be stressing how determined they are. Both sides have a lot to lose if this continues.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    This is starting to look like a fight to the death, although at this point each side will have maximal demands and will be stressing how determined they are. Both sides have a lot to lose if this continues.
    Disney is in the driver's seat. They can be watched by users moving to another carrier, so Spectrum has far more to lose. That doesn't mean other carriers aren't paying close attention. Once Spectrum caves (and they'll have to), then Disney knows they can exert that pressure on anyone.

It's why the government has a standing policy of not negotiating with terrorists.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Disney is in the driver's seat. They can be watched by users moving to another carrier, so Spectrum has far more to lose. That doesn't mean other carriers aren't paying close attention. Once Spectrum caves (and they'll have to), then Disney knows they can exert that pressure on anyone.

It's why the government has a standing policy of not negotiating with terrorists.
    This is all probably complicated by the fact that Disney owns a competing carrier. I wonder how the carriage rates compare there.

I don't necessarily think it is as one sided in favor of Disney as you might think though. Die hards on message boards, sure, but casuals will just find something else to do, they aren't going to spontaneously sign up for DirectTV in the middle of a 2 year contract with Spectrum just for a weekend of football (and for most die hards or people not under contract any other competitor is still likely missing some other important sports content at the moment, and even if not they could enter a similar dispute any time).

Disney does need eyeballs on their content and Spectrum is a pretty big provider.

This is all probably complicated by the fact that Disney owns a competing carrier. I wonder how the carriage rates compare there.

I don't necessarily think it is as one sided in favor of Disney as you might think though. Die hards on message boards, sure, but casuals will just find something else to do, they aren't going to spontaneously sign up for DirectTV in the middle of a 2 year contract with Spectrum just for a weekend of football (and for most die hards or people not under contract any other competitor is still likely missing some other important sports content at the moment, and even if not they could enter a similar dispute any time).

Disney does need eyeballs on their content and Spectrum is a pretty big provider.
    Diehards, shmiehards. It's not just football. As the US Open has brought this case to many home viewers that could give a rats patootie about football.

Sports is sports and ESPN is one of the biggest movers for any cable carrier. You don't see Comcast and Spectrum advertising great bundles and reduced rates if you add on an extra tier of the weather station channels.

I have Spectrum and I have to have espn and accn for college football season. Does anyone have youtube tv? Any problems/concerns there? Likely my next step is to try the 10 day free trial and see if anything resolves with Disney/Spectrum in the meantime. If not, Spectrum will lose this customer.

Comcast owns a third of Hulu so I'm sure Disney can't give themselves a sweat heart deal for antitrust and shareholder fiduciary duty reasons.

Finally got through to Spectrum. They gave me a $15 credit and then dismissed me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Comcast owns a third of Hulu so I'm sure Disney can't give themselves a sweat heart deal for antitrust and shareholder fiduciary duty reasons.

Finally got through to Spectrum. They gave me a $15 credit and then dismissed me.
    Can you expand… did they unilaterally cancel your subscription? Do you also get broadband internet from them? Did they cancel that too? I’m with Spectrum now, and very interested.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Can you expand… did they unilaterally cancel your subscription? Do you also get broadband internet from them? Did they cancel that too? I’m with Spectrum now, and very interested.
    I think my dismissed he means they said "Here's 15 bucks and it sucks to be you. Enjoy the rest of the channels that you still get."