Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 352
  1. #81
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Have to say, as an Everton fan, am really enjoying the start of this season(usually doesn't help that my older brother is a fan of the reds in the Merseyside Derby). It is kind of unfortunate after spending a few decades overseas, suddenly its harder to watch the variou action.

    Deslok

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    Have to say, as an Everton fan, am really enjoying the start of this season(usually doesn't help that my older brother is a fan of the reds in the Merseyside Derby). It is kind of unfortunate after spending a few decades overseas, suddenly its harder to watch the variou action.

    Deslok
    Iím a Blue, too, for about 20 years. Difficult years. Robertoís first season was a delight, Big Samís short tenure an embarrassment. I guess we lucked into Ancelotti. James looks revived and an attacking master. I think Allan may actually turn out to be a better DM than Gana. We better hope DCL stays healthy.

    I donít assume Liverpoolís debacle at Villa represents anything other than temporary insanity. Looking forward to this seasonís first Merseyside derby. Hope our internationals donít come back injured.

    Reluctantly, I signed on for Peacock, as it seems NBC intends to shift lots of EPL matches to that platform.

    You may be way ahead of me, but I post on this Everton site ó

    https://www.toffeetalk.com/

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    I wasn't sure where to put this, but I love watching Champions League play: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...rpool-22868981

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I wasn't sure where to put this, but I love watching Champions League play: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...rpool-22868981
    the
    Remember the old days (2018) when you didn't need three separate streaming services to watch all the competitions? I guess I shouldn't complain too much. In the 80's we use to watch World Cup on tape delay and there were weeks between getting league scores.

  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I wasn't sure where to put this, but I love watching Champions League play: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...rpool-22868981
    If you don't mind the commentary in Spanish, TUDN (444 on Spectrum) has both Champions League and UEFA Europa League games. It's part of my TWC legacy package.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Jose Mourinho is the Lou Pinella of the EPL. Discuss.

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Jose Mourinho is the Lou Pinella of the EPL. Discuss.
    The players loved Loopy Lou, at least while he was managing the Mariners. Josť, well, if you're one of his favorites, good for you. If you're not, and you can't get away from the team, woe unto you. That's why his teams succeed early, but then generally explode in year three.

    Both are traditionalists who command the spotlight and have a love affair with aging players, though.

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Forest Hills, NY

    Gunners in the dumps...

    Never thought I would miss Arsene this much. Closer to relegation than to the top of the table.

    Jets, Knicks, Mets ... now Gunners??? I don't like this parlay much.

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Never thought I would miss Arsene this much. Closer to relegation than to the top of the table.

    Jets, Knicks, Mets ... now Gunners??? I don't like this parlay much.
    My father (a fan since the 60ís) is outright disgusted at their performance. Heís now actively calling for regulation, hoping Stan starts paying attention. Arsenal are like sixth or seventh in his sport team priorities.

  10. #90
    Wonder if Mourinho thinks the best team lost today?

  11. #91
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Nice win for Arsenal over the Spurs.

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Forest Hills, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Nice win for Arsenal over the Spurs.
    North London is red today! This the equivalent of the Duke-UNCheat rivalry, perhaps even more heated. COYG! Beat sp*rs.

  13. #93
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Forest Hills, NY

    New "Super League" to rival (supplant?) the Champions League?

    Just saw this.

    From the article, "So far, 12 teams have reportedly endorsed or signed up for the super league, including Real Madrid, Barcelona and Atlťtico Madrid from Spain; Manchester United, Liverpool, Manchester City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham from England; and Juventus, A.C. Milan and Inter from Italy. " Each promised >$400 million.

    Of course threats from UEFA will be forthcoming.

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/soc...cid=entnewsntp

  14. #94
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Just saw this.

    From the article, "So far, 12 teams have reportedly endorsed or signed up for the super league, including Real Madrid, Barcelona and Atlťtico Madrid from Spain; Manchester United, Liverpool, Manchester City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham from England; and Juventus, A.C. Milan and Inter from Italy. " Each promised >$400 million.

    Of course threats from UEFA will be forthcoming.

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/soc...cid=entnewsntp
    This adds that Tottenham sacked Mourinho today:

    https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1...150714368?s=21

  15. #95
    Proposed Super League is massive news in England/EPL. MASSIVE. Thus far, lots of fan outrage, including at least some among fans of EPL Six. I assume this will happen absent some combo of: (1) EPL kicks Six out of EPL; (2) FIFA follows through on threat to ban Super League players from World Cup; (3) fans of Six demand No.

    I repeat, this is MASSIVE.

    Btw, Bayern and Dortmund say they will not participate.

  16. #96
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    This is an absolute mess. UCL just announced changes as well. 36 teams (up from 32) and no group stage. Adds over 100 matches to the schedule. Yikes.

  17. #97
    UEFA prez says players from involved teams will be banned from WC and Euros. He says a lot more about owners who lied to him directly.

    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56800351

    Fans seem outraged. Iím waiting for EPL announcement as to what it will do. If EPL calls bluff of Big Six, will the Six actually abandon EPL?

    Is this headed to courts? What courts?

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    This is an absolute mess. UCL just announced changes as well. 36 teams (up from 32) and no group stage. Adds over 100 matches to the schedule. Yikes.
    And that might have been the last straw for the big teams. Unless they reduce domestic games itís untenable when you throw in international qualifying and friendlies and domestic tournaments.

  19. #99
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Fan of Man City, but I won't be watching them if this happens, regardless of whether or not the players are banned from anything. Banning players, by the way, is a terrible idea. I'll bet some of them have contracts that don't even give them a choice about whether or not to play in a club-sanctioned event. If players are banned, I'll probably swear off EPL soccer entirely, and I watch at least one game most weekends.

  20. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Fan of Man City, but I won't be watching them if this happens, regardless of whether or not the players are banned from anything. Banning players, by the way, is a terrible idea. I'll bet some of them have contracts that don't even give them a choice about whether or not to play in a club-sanctioned event. If players are banned, I'll probably swear off EPL soccer entirely, and I watch at least one game most weekends.
    The major threat is to ban players from the WC and the Euros. So these aren’t club-sanctioned, but FIFA/UEFA-sanctioned, I think.

    This issue is absolutely exploding, today, minute by minute, in the UK and Europe. It is a revolutionary prospect, and except for the wealthy owners of the Six, is being blasted as revolutionary destruction, mostly to satisfy greedy American owners, with their “franchise model” — contrasted with a more traditional, fan-oriented “club model.”

    Right now, fans are gathering outside Elland Road (Leeds United FC), waiting to boo the Liverpool bus.

Similar Threads

  1. Premier League (and other soccer stuff) 2019
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-02-2019, 11:29 AM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-20-2018, 12:11 AM
  3. Premier League 2016-17 and Other Soccer Musings
    By luburch in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 177
    Last Post: 06-04-2017, 10:27 AM
  4. 2014-15 English Premier League
    By wilson in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 03-05-2015, 06:14 PM
  5. English Premier League 2013-2014
    By luburch in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 156
    Last Post: 06-05-2014, 12:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •