Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hingeknocker View Post
    The Championship is supposed to resume soon, as well, to finish out their season. Has there been official word that the EPL will have relegation as normal - assuming they are able to finish out the season?
    The way I understand it, one of the express reasons to finish out the season was to have relegation/promotion decided in competition, since the owners could not agree on an alternate solution. I haven't seen official word that relegation will be normal, but I would think you'd have to assume that's the default position.

Quote Originally Posted by Hingeknocker View Post
    With the EPL on the verge of returning, the English Football League has now voted to curtail the seasons for League 1 and League 2, enforcing promotion, relegation, and playoff spots based on a points-per-game application of the standings.

This means my club, Coventry City, are promoted to the Championship as champions of League 1! It certainly stinks for any club who misses out on the playoffs or is relegated by a whisker, but I think the points-per-game scenario is the fairest possible thing to do given the circumstances.

The Championship is supposed to resume soon, as well, to finish out their season. Has there been official word that the EPL will have relegation as normal - assuming they are able to finish out the season?
    There will be pro-rel as normal between the Championship and the PL.

https://en.as.com/en/2020/06/09/foot...72_901316.html

First match underway!

Champions League to return in August...a twelve day event, one and done with eight teams...but first they have to whittle things down to eight teams, finishing the second leg of previous rounds. Portugal is the venue for the eight team single elimination finale... https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/17/s...-portugal.html

Watching Liverpool - Astiln Villa, did not realize that AV’s Coach is naked Dean Smith.

So, rooting for relegation. Sorry, Lions.

The worst thing for a sports fan is hope. Arsenal beat Liverpool today with the FA Cup semis on the horizon. I’ve seen this movie before but can’t escape that feeling of hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    The worst thing for a sports fan is hope. Arsenal beat Liverpool today with the FA Cup semis on the horizon. I’ve seen this movie before but can’t escape that feeling of hope.
    A good day yesterday for the Gunners. Auba with two.

Rays of light in a frustrating season. COYG.

Arsenal - FA Cup winners!

London is red tonight! COYG!

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    London is red tonight! COYG!
    2020 continues with the surprises! Glad they salvaged something from the season. Silverware is always good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    2020 continues with the surprises! Glad they salvaged something from the season. Silverware is always good.
    Boo from this Chelsea fan but Arsenal played better on the day. Happy/sad for Pulisic scoring the opener/pulling the hamstring. Heal up quick as the 2020-2021 season will be here before you know it!
    Good people drink good beer. -Hunter S. Thompson

Not Premier League but worthy of note ... former Duke GK James Belshaw was in net at Wembley on Sunday as Harrogate Town defeated Notts County, 3-1, in the National League promotion playoff final. Town moves into the Football League for the first time in history. Good luck in League Two James!

Mr. Messi Man says he wants out of Barca...https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/25/footb...ntl/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Mr. Messi Man says he wants out of Barca...https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/25/footb...ntl/index.html
    With a $700m release clause and a $100m annual wage bill, PSG and Man City are pretty much the only two teams who can afford him. Will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    With a $700m release clause and a $100m annual wage bill, PSG and Man City are pretty much the only two teams who can afford him. Will be interesting to see how this one plays out.
    He's saying he's going to activate his termination clause, which means he leaves on a free. Barca counters that the time for activating the termination clause has expired and he has to wait until next year. My guess is that they meet somewhere in the middle rather than fight draw out the fight, and he leaves for a lot more than free, but a lot less then $700 million. Messi's wages alone likely mean only a few clubs in the world can afford him, unless he's willing to take a substantial pay cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    He's saying he's going to activate his termination clause, which means he leaves on a free. Barca counters that the time for activating the termination clause has expired and he has to wait until next year. My guess is that they meet somewhere in the middle rather than fight draw out the fight, and he leaves for a lot more than free, but a lot less then $700 million. Messi's wages alone likely mean only a few clubs in the world can afford him, unless he's willing to take a substantial pay cut.
    The release clause as written stipulated that he was supposed to trigger it by June 30. Presumably he’ll try to argue that the pandemic alters things, but it’s a far more complicated matter than just his asking to leave.

The release clause as written stipulated that he was supposed to trigger it by June 30. Presumably he’ll try to argue that the pandemic alters things, but it’s a far more complicated matter than just his asking to leave.
    Given that the La Liga season was played until mid-July, it's a colorable argument. Koeman already basically gave him an ultimatum, and he said, "No, thanks." As you say, far more complicated than just asking to leave, which is why I think they'll find a way to meet in the middle. A disgruntled Messi playing out the string doesn't help either side.

Given that the La Liga season was played until mid-July, it's a colorable argument. Koeman already basically gave him an ultimatum, and he said, "No, thanks." As you say, far more complicated than just asking to leave, which is why I think they'll find a way to meet in the middle. A disgruntled Messi playing out the string doesn't help either side.
    Agreed, and with Barca looking like they need a full remodel, the freed up cash would help.

Agreed, and with Barca looking like they need a full remodel, the freed up cash would help.
    The move looks definite, but where? I keep hearing Man City mentioned as the most aggressive suitor, and not a lot of serious talk (but plenty of speculation) about elsewhere, but this could take a while. When does the transfer window close this year? Early October? So six weeks, give or take? There's a large chunk of change at stake, so I wouldn't expect it to get resolved much before the window closes.

The move looks definite, but where? I keep hearing Man City mentioned as the most aggressive suitor, and not a lot of serious talk (but plenty of speculation) about elsewhere, but this could take a while. When does the transfer window close this year? Early October? So six weeks, give or take? There's a large chunk of change at stake, so I wouldn't expect it to get resolved much before the window closes.
    The transfer window will be open until at least October 5. Also, this got weirder and potentially less definite. Messi said a couple days ago he would only stay if Barcelona's president resigns. Barcelona's president has now said he will resign if Messi stays.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/barcelon...celona-sources

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    The transfer window will be open until at least October 5. Also, this got weirder and potentially less definite. Messi said a couple days ago he would only stay if Barcelona's president resigns. Barcelona's president has now said he will resign if Messi stays.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/barcelon...celona-sources
    That's an interesting offer, but ultimately probably meaningless. Other reporting suggests that Messi's decision is more about Koeman than about Bartomeu, the latter of whom has, after all, been President at Barca for more than six years. It isn't just Koeman's treatment of Messi himself, but Koeman has apparently told a number of the core Barca players, many of whom are good friends of Messi, that they aren't in Koeman's plans. Not just Suarez, but Rakitic, Umtiti, and Vidal have all been told to start looking for opportunities elsewhere.

I don't think this bridge can be rebuilt at this point.