Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Big EPL upset with Liverpool falling to cellar dweller Watford by three goals. They are winning the EPL but not going undefeated. As an Arsenal supporter, it’s best summed up by:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Arsenal/s...35776108089344
    As a Gooner, the Arsenal tweet felt like the Dolphins team popping the champagne whenever a NFL unbeaten goes down.

All in the past. The present is mediocrity. Drat.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    As a Gooner, the Arsenal tweet felt like the Dolphins team popping the champagne whenever a NFL unbeaten goes down.

All in the past. The present is mediocrity. Drat.
    It's been a frustration stretch for me so I'm taking any win I can get.

Not a Premiership match, but this Liverpool-Atletico Champs League game that’s just kicked off oughta be a good one.

Mikel Arteta tested positive for the Coronavirus. Thoughts with him and with those he has been in contact with.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Mikel Arteta tested positive for the Coronavirus. Thoughts with him and with those he has been in contact with.
    The Premier League announced about 30 minutes earlier that they would carry on matches without interruption. After this announcement, I have to believe they backtrack on that pretty quickly.

EPL and all English football suspended until April 3.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    EPL and all English football suspended until April 3.
    Well, it's past April 3 and clearly no end is in sight here. I wonder at what point the major European leagues decide to cancel/end the 2019/20 seasons? Obviously it was heartbreaking when the NCAA did this, but there were no long term ramifications to it. But with soccer...I can't imagine the consternation surrounding league places, Champions League qualification, and especially promotion/relegation places if the seasons are forced to end without further games played.

In Scotland, they just announced that the seasons for the Championship and below are ended, with promotion and relegation enforced per the existing table. It remains to be seen what will happen with the potentially relegated teams from the top flight. It appears that an expanded Scottish Premier League is a possibility for next year.

The team I support (Coventry City) is currently in first place in England's League 1, with games in hand. I won't even begin to predict what will happen, but it's going to be interesting.

Premier League Plan

Quote Originally Posted by Hingeknocker View Post
    Well, it's past April 3 and clearly no end is in sight here. I wonder at what point the major European leagues decide to cancel/end the 2019/20 seasons? Obviously it was heartbreaking when the NCAA did this, but there were no long term ramifications to it. But with soccer...I can't imagine the consternation surrounding league places, Champions League qualification, and especially promotion/relegation places if the seasons are forced to end without further games played.

In Scotland, they just announced that the seasons for the Championship and below are ended, with promotion and relegation enforced per the existing table. It remains to be seen what will happen with the potentially relegated teams from the top flight. It appears that an expanded Scottish Premier League is a possibility for next year.

The team I support (Coventry City) is currently in first place in England's League 1, with games in hand. I won't even begin to predict what will happen, but it's going to be interesting.
    Looks like whatever the Prem League decides, the season will end by June 30.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...rus-hit-season

I was just reading about Coventry in "The Splendid and the Vile." Hope they get to move up.

I'm replacing my enjoyment of actual-soccer-match drama with Scottish voting drama! And the confusion of the Santa Fe Public Library with the SPFL on Twitter--at least the library is taking it in stride.

Quote Originally Posted by devilish View Post
    Looks like whatever the Prem League decides, the season will end by June 30.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...rus-hit-season
    Very interesting comments in there from the Brighton folks. I think the biggest thing I learned is that a vote will require 14 of 20 clubs' approval. I also hadn't thought of all the contract ramifications if the league season is pushed beyond June 30. When push comes to shove, I think that you'll get 14 of the 17 teams who are safe from relegation who would be able to agree on ending the season in some fashion.

Very interesting comments in there from the Brighton folks. I think the biggest thing I learned is that a vote will require 14 of 20 clubs' approval. I also hadn't thought of all the contract ramifications if the league season is pushed beyond June 30. When push comes to shove, I think that you'll get 14 of the 17 teams who are safe from relegation who would be able to agree on ending the season in some fashion.
    Liverpool came within a whisker of having an unbeaten streak extend over three seasons . . . .

And it was Watford that done ‘em in!

Damn, missing my routine of watching Saturday morning matches right now . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Damn, missing my routine of watching Saturday morning matches right now . . . .
    I am with you OldPhilKap...Fantasy too.

By the way. How long have you been into Talking Heads.. what’s your favorite album?

In 1977 I was an engineering apprentice in Birmingham England. I was doing a stint in the Land Rover special vehicle department. One Saturday morning I walked into the workshop and heard Psycho Killer on the radio. It blew me away! That very afternoon I made a trip to downtown Brum and got Talking Heads 77. I love all their albums but the early ones are the best for me...
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    I am with you OldPhilKap...Fantasy too.

By the way. How long have you been into Talking Heads.. what’s your favorite album?

In 1977 I was an engineering apprentice in Birmingham England. I was doing a stint in the Land Rover special vehicle department. One Saturday morning I walked into the workshop and heard Psycho Killer on the radio. It blew me away! That very afternoon I made a trip to downtown Brum and got Talking Heads 77. I love all their albums but the early ones are the best for me...
    Got into the Heads when Remain in Light came out. Love everything up to the Stop Making Sense tour, then the pop took over and I drifted off.

First Heads song I learned to play on guitar was “Don’t Worry About the Government,” still one of my favorites.

Byrne’s solo stuff is very interesting, some better than others. His Broadway show (soundtrack available) is absurdly good, and I believe Spike Lee is making a film of it.

Don’t know about y’all, but I’m fired up to watch some Bundesliga tomorrow morning! Haven’t watched a lot of German soccer but I’m sure I can quickly find a team to root for.
    Last edited by devilish; 05-15-2020 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Punctuation

Watching Union Berlin v. Bayern — strange without fans.

But glad to see live sport.

Premier League talking about a mid-to-late June resumption.

Fox Sports South is showing classic World Cup matches tonight — quality futbol. (Portugal-Spain from 2018 Group B on now)

EPL returns June 17!

With the EPL on the verge of returning, the English Football League has now voted to curtail the seasons for League 1 and League 2, enforcing promotion, relegation, and playoff spots based on a points-per-game application of the standings.

This means my club, Coventry City, are promoted to the Championship as champions of League 1! It certainly stinks for any club who misses out on the playoffs or is relegated by a whisker, but I think the points-per-game scenario is the fairest possible thing to do given the circumstances.

The Championship is supposed to resume soon, as well, to finish out their season. Has there been official word that the EPL will have relegation as normal - assuming they are able to finish out the season?

With the EPL on the verge of returning, the English Football League has now voted to curtail the seasons for League 1 and League 2, enforcing promotion, relegation, and playoff spots based on a points-per-game application of the standings.

This means my club, Coventry City, are promoted to the Championship as champions of League 1! It certainly stinks for any club who misses out on the playoffs or is relegated by a whisker, but I think the points-per-game scenario is the fairest possible thing to do given the circumstances.

The Championship is supposed to resume soon, as well, to finish out their season. Has there been official word that the EPL will have relegation as normal - assuming they are able to finish out the season?
    I have not heard, but great question.

And speaking of relegation and the Championship, I am almost finished binge-watching "Sunderland 'til I Die" on Netflix. It is a multi-part documentary, following Sunderland's season after being relegated from the EPL and the impact it had on the town. Fascinating.