Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
    I wonder if they will seriously look at him for the USA job. I am not sure he has proven himself at the club level, especially as of late. I think USA can do better, and need to do better, IMO.
    I second the emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    It will be interesting to see how this impacts the USMNT coaching search. Marsch will certainly be one of the names near the top of the list. Also, I wonder how effective Marsch’s zone-pressing system would be with a national team’s limited opportunities to practice as a unit.
    Yeah, one of the issues with Marsch's style is that it basically requires hands on coaching directly from Marsch. He only had 4 months at Leipzig and 11 at Leeds to implement it. That's even harder to do with with the limited training of a national team.

I wonder if they will seriously look at him for the USA job. I am not sure he has proven himself at the club level, especially as of late. I think USA can do better, and need to do better, IMO.
    Can the US do better? They have a wish list of candidates but the vast major have no interest in the job. It doesn't play that much, the organization is a mess and there is little upside especially for a brand name international coach. Club football and international football are two different animals so you don't necessarily require a rock star name. Morocco's run showed that.

Manchester City!!

Many financial issues going on at the club, seems like there will be sanctions. Some calling for titles to be stripped, some to move them out of of the Premier League!

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Yeah, one of the issues with Marsch's style is that it basically requires hands on coaching directly from Marsch. He only had 4 months at Leipzig and 11 at Leeds to implement it. That's even harder to do with with the limited training of a national team.

Can the US do better? They have a wish list of candidates but the vast major have no interest in the job. It doesn't play that much, the organization is a mess and there is little upside especially for a brand name international coach. Club football and international football are two different animals so you don't necessarily require a rock star name. Morocco's run showed that.
    Great question, maybe he can get the troops rallied. I thought Berhalter did a decent job, but in the end the swamp of US soccer emerged, and it seems it will not work, given all the politics.

Many financial issues going on at the club, seems like there will be sanctions. Some calling for titles to be stripped, some to move them out of of the Premier League!
    Moving them out of the PL would be just stupid. Their history goes back WAY before Sheikh Mansour. Fine to strip titles, keep them out of transfer windows, babysit their books somehow, whatever. But kicking them out of the PL outright would abruptly remove more than 100 years of Manchester history. That's ridiculous. (I know, you didn't suggest the idea. I'm attacking the idea, not you!)

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Moving them out of the PL would be just stupid. Their history goes back WAY before Sheikh Mansour. Fine to strip titles, keep them out of transfer windows, babysit their books somehow, whatever. But kicking them out of the PL outright would abruptly remove more than 100 years of Manchester history. That's ridiculous. (I know, you didn't suggest the idea. I'm attacking the idea, not you!)
    If they want to be harsh, the penalty Juventus could we be a good example. Docking like 45 points would push them toward relegation, but would not actually kick them out of the league (until the end of the season when their relegation would be based on points, not just as a penalty)

The precedent would be what was done with Rangers. When they went into administration and were liquidated, the new company was made to start over at the bottom of the Scottish pyramid. Took them (IIRC) eight seasons to get back to the Premiership. Man City would have to rebuild from scratch in League Two, because the vast majority of Premier League player contracts are terminable at the player’s option in the event of relegation.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    The precedent would be what was done with Rangers. When they went into administration and were liquidated, the new company was made to start over at the bottom of the Scottish pyramid. Took them (IIRC) eight seasons to get back to the Premiership. Man City would have to rebuild from scratch in League Two, because the vast majority of Premier League player contracts are terminable at the player’s option in the event of relegation.
    Erling Haaland In the National — that would be a sight.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Erling Haaland In the National — that would be a sight.
    He might score as many as LeBron.

Hope not. He's a systems coach; USMNT needs two things: a) a flexible coach, and the b) best coach out their regardless of nationality.

With the World Cup coming to the US and up-and-coming talent, the USMNT should target a South American or European coach with a history of putting together a wide variety of teams.

Best example: South Korea in 2002. They were debating between hiring a South Korean coach and an international one. They went with an international one. Gus Hiddink (Dutch coaching legend). Made it to the semis.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    If they want to be harsh, the penalty Juventus could we be a good example. Docking like 45 points would push them toward relegation, but would not actually kick them out of the league (until the end of the season when their relegation would be based on points, not just as a penalty)
    That was insane with Juve was relegated to Serie B, it would be hard to imagine City in the EFL Championship division, but certainly not out of the realm of possibility! Waiting in suspense...

That was insane with Juve was relegated to Serie B, it would be hard to imagine City in the EFL Championship division, but certainly not out of the realm of possibility! Waiting in suspense...
    They are going to have to walk a fine line with any punishment. City is still valuable and a revenue producer for the EPL. Where as I want maximum punishment, the EPL might not want to cut the nose to spite the face. I think demotion is off the table. I think we are looking at points deduction (9-12), a heft fine, and transfer restrictions.

Leeds vs Man U

Anyone watch the Leeds vs Manchester United game? I did not see it, but statistically speaking, it looking like Man U was dominant, however, they went down 2-0, and had to come back in the second half to tie things up. I do hope Weston McKennie helps Leeds!

Anyone watch the Leeds vs Manchester United game? I did not see it, but statistically speaking, it looking like Man U was dominant, however, they went down 2-0, and had to come back in the second half to tie things up. I do hope Weston McKennie helps Leeds!
    United put the pedal down this time, couple of late goals sealed it up.

United put the pedal down this time, couple of late goals sealed it up.
    Yeah, poor Leeds. Late goals conceded is an unhealthy pattern.

Well this was quick.

Reports: Jesse Marsch to be named new Southampton manager

Maybe he too doesn't want the USMNT job? Maybe this is an audition? It's a strange move by the club. It looks to be a short term deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Well this was quick.

Reports: Jesse Marsch to be named new Southampton manager

Maybe he too doesn't want the USMNT job? Maybe this is an audition? It's a strange move by the club. It looks to be a short term deal.
    Wow! Interesting to see that he was given a second shot in the EPL!! They are cellar dwellers now, but hopefully he can help them escape the relegation zone!

Big one today. Arsenal v. Man City. Man City beat them 1-0 in the EFL cup, but that was before all the financial stuff. Does that make any difference? Arsenal are currently up three, but with a game in hand. Should be a good one. 3:00 EST.

Big one today. Arsenal v. Man City. Man City beat them 1-0 in the EFL cup, but that was before all the financial stuff. Does that make any difference? Arsenal are currently up three, but with a game in hand. Should be a good one. 3:00 EST.
    COYG!

Rumors that Partey is out. Massive blow to Arsenal if true.