Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    The major threat is to ban players from the WC and the Euros. So these aren’t club-sanctioned, but FIFA/UEFA-sanctioned, I think.
    I understand that, but player contracts with the clubs probably don't limit participation to FIFA/UEFA-sanctioned events. In other words, if the player's club told them, "We have a club game in the Super League tomorrow," they'd likely be liable for breach of contract if they don't show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I understand that, but player contracts with the clubs probably don't limit participation to FIFA/UEFA-sanctioned events. In other words, if the player's club told them, "We have a club game in the Super League tomorrow," they'd likely be liable for breach of contract if they don't show up.
    Ah, yes, I agree with you here. So I don’t know whether FIFA-UEFA can keep players out of their events.

As I noted just a few minutes ago, things are moving quickly. This article says 5 of the remaining 8 clubs in the CL and Europa League will be kicked out of those competitions this week. Will that happen? Don’t know, but UEFA thinks it needs to respond fiercely!

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-b1833966.html

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Ah, yes, I agree with you here. So I don’t know whether FIFA-UEFA can keep players out of their events.

As I noted just a few minutes ago, things are moving quickly. This article says 5 of the remaining 8 clubs in the CL and Europa League will be kicked out of those competitions this week. Will that happen? Don’t know, but UEFA thinks it needs to respond fiercely!

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-b1833966.html
    I’ll be surprised (and impressed) if they carry through with this threat. That’s a lot of short term financial pain to solve a longer term financial threat. Even if UEFA considers it an existential threat, it seems they have a strong incentive to sort it out after the semis and finals are complete. I guess the EL could continue with 3 teams, but I don’t see them ending the CL and declaring PSG the winner.

There is a simple mathematics at work here... certain teams are worth a lot lot more than other teams in their same league. The "rich" teams see no reason not to explore other ways of monetizing their value.

And, to bring this back to the point of this website, it is not at all unlikely at some point in the near future that various members of the NCAA decide to do something similar. Frankly, there is little reason for the top 25% of P5 teams (plus Gonzaga and a few others) to be sharing so much revenue with the Big Sky, MEAC, and Patriot leagues.

And if it happens in football, there's a fairly decent chance Duke gets left out of the resulting new setup.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    There is a simple mathematics at work here... certain teams are worth a lot lot more than other teams in their same league. The "rich" teams see no reason not to explore other ways of monetizing their value.

And, to bring this back to the point of this website, it is not at all unlikely at some point in the near future that various members of the NCAA decide to do something similar. Frankly, there is little reason for the top 25% of P5 teams (plus Gonzaga and a few others) to be sharing so much revenue with the Big Sky, MEAC, and Patriot leagues.

And if it happens in football, there's a fairly decent chance Duke gets left out of the resulting new setup.
    Hasn't it already happened in football? Whatever the bowl crowd calls themselves these days (D-1A, FBS), they are writing the ncaa rules for themselves and keeping the money.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Hasn't it already happened in football? Whatever the bowl crowd calls themselves these days (D-1A, FBS), they are writing the ncaa rules for themselves and keeping the money.
    Yup, which is why I think it is likely to happen in basketball too.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

This is true but that's not how English (and well European) football was built. It's always been merit based system. Teams get promoted and relegated based on performance on the pitch. That's why fans will hate the Super League. They will Americanize European football. In the last 20-25 years the influx of mega money has warped the dynamics of domestic leagues. Is this idea naive in this day and age...probably but it keeps the dream alive for other clubs and fans.

The SuperLeague was so super is survived for all of 2 days (or was it 3?).

https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status...72320346382336

The SuperLeague was so super is survived for all of 2 days (or was it 3?).

https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status...72320346382336
    It’s better to burn out, than to fade away . . . .

A couple weird goals there give City a 2-1 win, including two away goals. Could this be the year? They've dropped second legs before, so it ain't over yet, but it sure is interesting.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    A couple weird goals there give City a 2-1 win, including two away goals. Could this be the year? They've dropped second legs before, so it ain't over yet, but it sure is interesting.
    The idea of a wall is to well, block the ball, not let it through to where the goalie is not seeking to get. Just a bad one. The first one was fluky but at least understandable. I mean, even DeBruyne wasn't trying to shoot, it was just out of reach of several teammates and that took Navas by surprise. Both remaining matches will be interesting, with neither tie already determined.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    It’s better to burn out, than to fade away . . . .
    How old is Neil these days? I sure hope he’s found a way to both rust and get a good night’s sleep.
    Carolina delenda est

Also, with my US centric hat on, it sure is nice to have seen Pulisic grab a spot in the starting lineup yesterday and score in the semi finals. It’s about time to revive this thread to talk football!
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Also, with my US centric hat on, it sure is nice to have seen Pulisic grab a spot in the starting lineup yesterday and score in the semi finals. It’s about time to revive this thread to talk football!
    I totally agree with that. Right now, the odds favor an all-PL final, which would be...unfortunate and cool at the same time. If it were to happen, it would be the second time in three years, but with no repeat teams. That's hard to do.

Man City Through

So Manchester City makes the Champions League final for the first time, and they did it by allowing only one goal to one of the best offensive teams in the world. Granted, they didn't have to face Kylian Mbappé in leg two, and perhaps his effectiveness was reduced by injury in leg one, as well, but it's not like Di Maria, Neymar, and Icardi is a trio of chopped liver. Ruben Dias was a beast today.

I'll be interested tomorrow to see who they'll face in the final.

So Manchester City makes the Champions League final for the first time, and they did it by allowing only one goal to one of the best offensive teams in the world. Granted, they didn't have to face Kylian Mbappé in leg two, and perhaps his effectiveness was reduced by injury in leg one, as well, but it's not like Di Maria, Neymar, and Icardi is a trio of chopped liver. Ruben Dias was a beast today.

I'll be interested tomorrow to see who they'll face in the final.
    The 80 yard long (I estimate) pass from the Man City goalkeeper to set up the first goal was remarkable...a thing of beauty...not sure I can ever recall a better one. (I note Chelsea is leading Real Madrid one zip at the 62 minute mark)

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The 80 yard long (I estimate) pass from the Man City goalkeeper to set up the first goal was remarkable...a thing of beauty...not sure I can ever recall a better one. (I note Chelsea is leading Real Madrid one zip at the 62 minute mark)
    Pulisic was subbed in and has been in the middle of the action. Chelsea squandering chances to put this away.

Pulisic was subbed in and has been in the middle of the action. Chelsea squandering chances to put this away.
    They got it! 3-1 Chelsea. Pulisic with a goal and an assist in the two legs.

They got it! 3-1 Chelsea. Pulisic with a goal and an assist in the two legs.
    Pulisic is so damn fast and quick. There are few players with the ability to keep up with the sheer speed and insane quickness he possesses. It's what makes Pulisic a really good player.

That one skill alone will keep him relevant, but it also means any injury is going to have major impacts to his game.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Pulisic is so damn fast and quick. There are few players with the ability to keep up with the sheer speed and insane quickness he possesses. It's what makes Pulisic a really good player.

That one skill alone will keep him relevant, but it also means any injury is going to have major impacts to his game.
    That one skill alone makes him relevant, but it was his patience and timing that got him the assist on the clinching goal. He timed the pass through that brief opening just perfectly.

All credit to Tuchel, who has been just great at getting the best out of Chelsea's young and quick lineup. And N'Golo Kanté is back to his old self again, as well. He was everywhere yesterday. I'm not sure Manchester City can beat the team that is so successful at the two things that bother City the most: 1. an effective high press, and 2. a blistering counter-attack. City attacks well, and can break down any team that bunkers up and tries to defend. But they are not nearly as good against the quick, offensive-minded teams. The back line will be tested.

We get a UCL Finals preview this coming weekend, as Chelsea comes to the Etihad this Saturday at 11:30 EDT. City needs two points to clinch the Premier League, and Chelsea is sitting in fourth and won't want to count on winning the Champions League final to qualify for the competition again next year. There's plenty to play for in this one. I'll be curious to see what the managers try, and also to see how the game in late May is different.