Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    That one skill alone makes him relevant, but it was his patience and timing that got him the assist on the clinching goal. He timed the pass through that brief opening just perfectly.
    Absolutely. Fast and decisive with his moves, but also calm and collected with the ball in the box. Similar to his goal last week, where he was the recipient of a great pass, made a decisive move and then took him time to set up the goal.

We get a UCL Finals preview this coming weekend, as Chelsea comes to the Etihad this Saturday at 11:30 EDT. City needs two points to clinch the Premier League, and Chelsea is sitting in fourth and won't want to count on winning the Champions League final to qualify for the competition again next year. There's plenty to play for in this one. I'll be curious to see what the managers try, and also to see how the game in late May is different.
    This is a wonderful confluence of events. It will be very interesting to see how the game this weekend unfolds.

That one skill alone makes him relevant, but it was his patience and timing that got him the assist on the clinching goal. He timed the pass through that brief opening just perfectly.

All credit to Tuchel, who has been just great at getting the best out of Chelsea's young and quick lineup. And N'Golo Kanté is back to his old self again, as well. He was everywhere yesterday. I'm not sure Manchester City can beat the team that is so successful at the two things that bother City the most: 1. an effective high press, and 2. a blistering counter-attack. City attacks well, and can break down any team that bunkers up and tries to defend. But they are not nearly as good against the quick, offensive-minded teams. The back line will be tested.

We get a UCL Finals preview this coming weekend, as Chelsea comes to the Etihad this Saturday at 11:30 EDT. City needs two points to clinch the Premier League, and Chelsea is sitting in fourth and won't want to count on winning the Champions League final to qualify for the competition again next year. There's plenty to play for in this one. I'll be curious to see what the managers try, and also to see how the game in late May is different.
    I think the match is at 12:30 but could be wrong.

Leeds v. Spurs should be a good first match. Boy, Leeds’ style makes for interesting matches. And even though I typically am mildly anti-Tots for no good reason, Son is so much fun to watch. I could do without Harry Kane though tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I think the match is at 12:30 but could be wrong.
    I misread the schedule. You are quite right.

Leeds v. Spurs should be a good first match. Boy, Leeds’ style makes for interesting matches. And even though I typically am mildly anti-Tots for no good reason, Son is so much fun to watch. I could do without Harry Kane though tbh.
    Leeds have been a great story all season. No real stars, but so well coached and they hustle like nobody's business. They've been solidly mid-table all season. Their style is open and attacking and fun to watch, and they've pulled some rabbits out the hat. With the post-Super-League expansion in European competitions, Tottenham are already in a Europa League place, so they might just get caught napping.

US-Mexico instant classic

Incredible match, had pretty much everything. US wins 3-2 AET (and about 130 minutes). Exciting end-to-end, Mexico slightly more threatening, but only slightly. VAR disallowed one (Mex) goal, gave 2 PKs (one for each side). US goalie saved PK near the death. Multiple scuffles, pushing, jawing, several near-fights, unruly fans. Could have been several red cards.

If you can find it, YouTube, maybe Spanish station replay, wherever, check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Incredible match, had pretty much everything. US wins 3-2 AET (and about 130 minutes). Exciting end-to-end, Mexico slightly more threatening, but only slightly. VAR disallowed one (Mex) goal, gave 2 PKs (one for each side). US goalie saved PK near the death. Multiple scuffles, pushing, jawing, several near-fights, unruly fans. Could have been several red cards.

If you can find it, YouTube, maybe Spanish station replay, wherever, check it out.
    Reyna hit by what looked like a water bottle. Hope he’s okay. I’m glad I didn’t watch this one in real time — would have been too stressful.

Pulisic was great, Horvath came up big as a substitute goalie.

Defensive back line needs work.

Great match!

Defensive back line needs work.
    Agree. Berhalter started with 3 at the back, but at some point abandoned that to go 4-3-3, I think.

Btw, CBSSN will show replay this Fri (6/11) morn, 10 am. If anyone is reading this thread and can catch replay, highly recommended. Truly instant classic.

And Covid-delayed EURO 2020 also begins Fri aft (US time). I assume ESPN commentators will not be on site?? Sites, actually, multiple cities across Europe.

An unexpected win by the US National Team. There was a brilliant goal by Weston McKennie to tie the score in the 82d minute and a "beyond brilliant" penalty kick by Christian Pulisic in the extra period -- upper right corner, no chance for the goalie, who actually had guessed the right direction.

Ethan Horvath, the substitute goalie, made the save on a Mexico penalty kick near the end.

I was happy to have something to cheer for yesterday.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I tuned in about 60 minutes in and it was a great game to watch. Horvath (appears there is no close relation) with the huge save and several other nice plays. So much energy, spirit and toughness from our young players. Big goal by McKinnie when he came close on a similar play a few minutes earlier - love seeing players with a nose for the goal. Pulisic with the great PK and he seems to really be learning how the international game is played.

Hopefully they will learn in the future that as happy as they are and as obnoxious as the Mexican fans are, do not celebrate so close to the opposing fans.

I am looking forward to the European championships then hopefully a nice run by the Americans in qualifying.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I am looking forward to the European championships then hopefully a nice run by the Americans in qualifying.
    Here’s a handy guide to ESPN/ABC coverage of EUROs, including roster of announcers, studio analysts. Also a few snarky comments.

https://the18.com/soccer-entertainme...aming-schedule

Any opinions re announcers? Derek Rae is the best football announcer I’ve ever heard. I’m not much of a fan of Twellman, but I guess he’s improved. I like Darke, Champion, Robson, Donaldson. Looking forward to Del Piero, never heard him as analyst. Keller pretty dull, I find.

I do not like Alejandro Moreno at all. Am I off-base in thinking him relentlessly snide, self-important?

Just incredible. My reaction to Horvath’s PK save woke my wife. Two other thoughts.

First, Pulisic is the USNMT’s most talented player (for now, although Reyna may have something to say about that in a few years), but McKennie is the team’s heart. His energy, fight, and leadership will be critical to our success.

Second, Mexico fans were staying classy as always with homophobic chants and throwing things from the stands, They are the ‘Merlin of CONCACAF. Their behavior would have gotten them removed from any NBA stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    Just incredible. My reaction to Horvath’s PK save woke my wife. Two other thoughts.

First, Pulisic is the USNMT’s most talented player (for now, although Reyna may have something to say about that in a few years), but McKennie is the team’s heart. His energy, fight, and leadership will be critical to our success.

Second, Mexico fans were staying classy as always with homophobic chants and throwing things from the stands, They are the ‘Merlin of CONCACAF. Their behavior would have gotten them removed from any NBA stadium.
    NBA, schmemBA. Sticking to the thread theme, it would have gotten them lifetime bans from PL stadiums. The PL has really started to clean up its act when it comes to racism, physical assaults, etc.

Although they happened off-pitch, some other crazy moments include a random fan running on to the CBS set at halftime and then leaped over the railing to his demise, Clint Dempsey in a camouflage smokers jacket and sunglasses, and Charlie Davies doing the stanky leg while presenting the trophy.

NBCSN will end soon

I missed this dramatic news from Jan '21:

https://the18.com/soccer-entertainme...csn-shuttering

As someone says in the article, "This is absolutely bonkers," given NBCSN's ratings, mostly due, I assume, to its excellent coverage of the EPL for last 7-8 years.

Looks like we'll still have EPL coverage in Spring '22 on USA Network and Peacock. I assume Peacock will become irrelevant for EPL fans after this season, as it seems unlikely NBC/Peacock will be awarded the next EPL contract for US viewing. Is it all going the streaming route starting next season? I know ESPN has recently acquired La Liga rights for the 2020s. Most of those will surely wind up on ESPN+.

To repeat the key issues: who'll get the US rights to EPL, and is it all/mostly going to streaming very soon?

Nothing on the board re the move of Messi to PSG? Soccer world rocked...

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Nothing on the board re the move of Messi to PSG? Soccer world rocked...
    There was a time that Barca had so much money they didn’t even need a kit sponsor. They use to PAY Unicef 1.5 Million € to put its logo on the shirts. How times (and the club’s soul) have changed with the financial arms race in the football world. I like Messi but I dislike PSG and their distortion of the finances. I hope this fails spectacularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    There was a time that Barca had so much money they didn’t even need a kit sponsor. They use to PAY Unicef 1.5 Million € to put its logo on the shirts. How times (and the club’s soul) have changed with the financial arms race in the football world. I like Messi but I dislike PSG and their distortion of the finances. I hope this fails spectacularly.
    Yeah, I pretty much agree with this take.

Meanwhile, in the antithesis of PSG and the SuperLeague concept, it is Ethan Pinnock of newly-promoted Brentford who scores the first goal of the Premier League season. A beautifully struck, curling, low ball from near the top of the box beating Leno to the bottom near post. Arsenal defense didn't look good, but that was a nice strike. Good for Brentford!

Yeah, I pretty much agree with this take.

Meanwhile, in the antithesis of PSG and the SuperLeague concept, it is Ethan Pinnock of newly-promoted Brentford who scores the first goal of the Premier League season. A beautifully struck, curling, low ball from near the top of the box beating Leno to the bottom near post. Arsenal defense didn't look good, but that was a nice strike. Good for Brentford!
    Sorry, a bit of self-correction: Ethan Pinnock with the header to assist the goal, which was actually scored by Sergi Canós.

Sorry, a bit of self-correction: Ethan Pinnock with the header to assist the goal, which was actually scored by Sergi Canós.
    We look lethargic and disorganized. Hope we pick it up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    We look lethargic and disorganized. Hope we pick it up soon.
    Quoting myself - we didn't. Second goal - disorganized defense. Beginning to hate this side. Do not belong in Gunner kits.