Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Shooting in El Paso

again...another...
    Last edited by Bob Green; 08-04-2019 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Fix spelling in title
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    It never ends.

Now 9 dead in Dayton. 292 mass shootings so far this year. Defined as two or more dead.

“too soon to discuss a solution”
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry that was not updated; Dayton’s mayor said that El Paso was 249 and Dayton was 250. This year.

So what's changed? Guns have always been around, but the rash of mass shootings is a fairly recent phenomenon.

I know this is dipping a toe in PPB, but this whole thread is, and I doubt it will make it for the Long haul. 😔
    Last edited by left_hook_lacey; 08-04-2019 at 09:05 AM.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    So what's changed? Guns have always been around, but the rash of mass shootings is a fairly recent phenomenon.

I know this is dipping a toe in PPB, but this whole thread is, and I doubt it will make it for the Long haul. 😂
    Was the laughing-so-hard-I’m-cryin emoji really the one you meant to post here?

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    Was the laughing-so-hard-I’m-cryin emoji really the one you meant to post here?
    Holy crap, no. Thank you, editing now.

wow, went to bed thinking there would be some discussion on here about el paso, really didn't think that it would "move on" before i got up....

it's so often, we just absorb it and go about our day...that's where we are, folks...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    wow, went to bed thinking there would be some discussion on here about el paso, really didn't think that it would "move on" before i got up...

it's so often, we just absorb it and go about our day...that's where we are, folks...
    We ought to be outraged that every single possibility isn't being explored in order to stem this disgusting tide. It's unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    We ought to be outraged that every single possibility isn't being explored in order to stem this disgusting tide. It's unacceptable.
    Within the last week, we have had random mass shootings at a family festival in Gilroy; a shopping center in El Paso; and a nightlife district in Dayton. If this was carried out by any outside group, we would take immediate and swift action.

But they were all carried out by American kids. So, yawn — “I guess we can’t do anything about stuff like this.”

Disgusting.

And the problem is not partisan. It is a single lobbying group with outsized influence.

And I will add something I have said before. I went to the Sun Bowl in El P when we played a few years ago. You could not find a warmer, more welcoming community to visitors. Lots of love for the city and its people.

And the open carry laws in TX where the additional presence of guns is supposed to be some kind of deterrent has done nothing to dissuade or limit such mass shootings, contrary to a popular NRA talking point. I won’t wade into political positions or arguments but I will say that it’s truly ridiculous for civilians to be able to own battlefield weaponry. I’m a lawful gun owner and support the right to own guns. But I was at the range a couple months ago when a dude came in with a literal duffle bag full of all sorts of weapons including an AR-15 and some other semi-auto weapon I didn’t recognize. And I just thought... why? There also must be an immediate bi-partisan push for strong, universal background checks. And we have to do more to address the nationwide mental health crisis. It’s all interlinked. And it’s obviously a huge problem. My kids see this stuff and tell me they’re increasingly afraid to go into malls and stores.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

My neighbor posted a picture on facebook last week of some sort of sniper rifle with a scope almost as big as the rifle and said it was an addition to his collection of a couple of AR-15s and an AK. It actually was one of his least inflammatory posts. I try to stay on his good side.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    My neighbor posted a picture on facebook last week of some sort of sniper rifle with a scope almost as big as the rifle and said it was an addition to his collection of a couple of AR-15s and an AK. It actually was one of his least inflammatory posts. I try to stay on his good side.
    “see something, say something”

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    “see something, say something”
    Does this board count?

It's all legal. As is spouting his crazy views.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    My kids see this stuff and tell me they’re increasingly afraid to go into malls and stores.
    Just what the brick and mortar retail industry needs. Can't wait until someone says "good thing I invested in Amazon."

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    And the problem is not partisan. It is a single lobbying group with outsized influence.
    That's partisan as heck actually.

The non-partisan (I think) improvement we could make that would almost certainly make a difference is for major media outlets to agree on a pact to cease publishing / broadcasting the names and manifestos of these mass shooters. (And for society to start shaming any major media outlets that don't agree to the pact.) Considering how often these mass shooters are what many would describe as "losers," taking away the fame aspect of mass shootings would frequently serve as a de-motivator to commit these atrocities. Deny the mass shooters their glory. Now, the internet being what it is, the names / manifestos would probably get out in other ways to a smaller audience. That said, would mass shootings still occur at the same rate if the shooters weren't guaranteed wide release of their names / manifestos to NYT, WaPo, CNN, Fox News, etc? Very doubtful.

This isn't the only solution we could pursue, of course. But it is seemingly non-partisan and seemingly realistic and very likely would have some degree of effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post

The non-partisan (I think) improvement we could make that would almost certainly make a difference is for major media outlets to agree on a pact to cease publishing / broadcasting the names and manifestos of these mass shooters. (And for society to start shaming any major media outlets that don't agree to the pact.) Considering how often these mass shooters are what many would describe as "losers," taking away the fame aspect of mass shootings would frequently serve as a de-motivator to commit these atrocities. Deny the mass shooters their glory. Now, the internet being what it is, the names / manifestos would probably get out in other ways to a smaller audience. That said, would mass shootings still occur at the same rate if the shooters weren't guaranteed wide release of their names / manifestos to NYT, WaPo, CNN, Fox News, etc? Very doubtful.

This isn't the only solution we could pursue, of course. But it is seemingly non-partisan and seemingly realistic and very likely would have some degree of effectiveness.
    With all due respect, I disagree wholeheartedly. There is enough disinformation and selective reporting going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    With respect, the only way my statement would be partisan is if someone felt that the lobbying group and a political party were one and the same. I do not.