Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I agree with you about Tre, I think we’re going to see a much better player than we last year (and he was really good last year, other than his shooting).

But it may be worth noting that the last four times we went into a season with an incumbent starting point guard were 2013-14, 2008-09, 2007-08, and 2006-07. Not exactly a litany of NCAA tournament success.
    Interesting that we also returned the starting point guard in 2014-2015, although Cook of course moved over to the 2 and Tyus took over at the 1.

I agree with you about Tre, I think we’re going to see a much better player than we last year (and he was really good last year, other than his shooting).

But it may be worth noting that the last four times we went into a season with an incumbent starting point guard were 2013-14, 2008-09, 2007-08, and 2006-07. Not exactly a litany of NCAA tournament success.
    Jon Scheyer took over as starting point-guard midway through the 2008-'09 season and played well enough down the stretch to win the Case Award after leading Duke to the 2009 ACC Tournament title. Scheyer returned as starting point guard for the 2009-10 team, which litanied up just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post
    Those pesky facts keep ruining things!
    Well, in your context, you were referring to metrics or stats. What's the saying?
    There are lies, damned lies, and then there are statistics.

So like all universal cliches, that is not universally true. It is however true enough to cause pause...

To be fair, though, aren't three of those Greg Paulus? So maybe they are redundant predictors?

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    To be fair, though, aren't three of those Greg Paulus? So maybe they are redundant predictors?
    Yep, Paulus as a soph, junior and senior...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Sounds like you have a pretty good thing going on. Why would you kill it by joining back up with us?
    Its about time for football season and this is always the best place for bball recruiting news.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Not to post about the rotation or anything, but I will be fascinated to see who gets minutes at 2/3/4 spots. Lots of wing depth.
    Yup, will be interesting for sure. I know Alex is considered the favorite to start around here, but I have a suspicion that one of the seniors (and two-time captains?) will get in there. Which means for the second consecutive season, we're going to be huge on the wings. Tre [1], Wendell [2], Matthew [3/4], either Jack [3/4] or Javin[4/5], and last but not least Vernon[5].

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Tre passed the eye test for me. And I liked the comments of Jon Scheyer:

"He's looking great...he's gotten healthy...he's more athletic... he's gotten better...watch out for Tre Jones"
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Really looking forward to seeing Tre this year. It’s been forever since we’ve had an incumbent starting point guard, to the extent that many of us barely remember what it’s like to have a coach on the floor who isn’t learning everything for the first time. He’ll have the keys to the team and we’ll go as far as he takes us.
    Yeah, re: excitement for next season, we wasted a lot of time last season discussing whether Tre would be back for us *not* to be excited after he confirmed a sophomore season.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Not to analogize too much with the baby blues, but I really think he'll be the Roy to K's Dean when all is said and done.

And if Tre gets a jumper even like Tyus, it's game over.
    If Tre has the ball in his hands as much as Coach K has hinted at (his comments about wanting to see Tre average a double-double), it's even more important that all the other players on the team can shoot. Tre can penetrate and dime them up when the defense collapses. Or if the defense doesn't, Tre can use his midrange game and (hopefully) finishing ability to score.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Yep, Paulus as a soph, junior and senior...
    That got me wondering what Paulus is up to these days. He's no longer with OSU. Recently landed an assistant coaching gig at Niagara University.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    That got me wondering what Paulus is up to these days. He's no longer with OSU. Recently landed an assistant coaching gig at Niagara University.
    I love Greg Paulus. He gave his all for Duke. He just didn't have the quickness to succeed at point guard. I wish him the best.

I wonder how he views his years at Duke. Fairly good start and a rapid decline. I hope he had a good experience and looks back on his coach, his teammates and his University with some degree of affection

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I love Greg Paulus. He gave his all for Duke. He just didn't have the quickness to succeed at point guard. I wish him the best.

I wonder how he views his years at Duke. Fairly good start and a rapid decline. I hope he had a good experience and looks back on his coach, his teammates and his University with some degree of affection
    Let's also remember that Greg did a graduate year at Syracuse -- in FOOTBALL. He started most of the season, threw for over 2,000 yards and led the Big East in completion percentage.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Let's also remember that Greg did a graduate year at Syracuse -- in FOOTBALL. He started most of the season, threw for over 2,000 yards and led the Big East in completion percentage.
    Yeah, he was (assuming still is) a heck of an athlete. It's an amazing accomplishment. He played arguably the most prestigious position in college basketball (Duke PG) then played arguably toughest position in all of team sports (QB)...and did both well. That's amazing. I do wonder if he has any regrets about opting for basketball versus football. IIRC, his pro potential was higher for football. It would be interesting to hear his reflections.

Here is a summer treat as we look forward to the 2019-20 season. All-time Duke dunks, recently updated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvAHgUdrJVc

Here is a summer treat as we look forward to the 2019-20 season. All-time Duke dunks, recently updated.

Love watching that...and watching it, I'm struck that Gene's dunk over Ralph may be the most amazing...struck that Gerald H had so many amazing dunks - while Phil Henderson's over Alonzo was maybe the most important - a turning point for Duke (up) and for Georgetown (down). And then of course, well, um, ZION!!!

WOW. Watching that - what sticks out to me is just how great Gerald Henderson was.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    WOW. Watching that - what sticks out to me is just how great Gerald Henderson was.
    Yes, agree with that; I was frankly surprised at how many great dunks of Henderson there were. And another thing that stood out for me...that in nearly any other year, RJ Barrett would be considered the best dunker on the team.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

NBADraft.net player evaluations

It looks like Jones, Hurt, Carey had their NBADraft.net player evaluations updated recently. Nothing too noteworthy but it might be interesting to those jonesing for some Duke basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    It looks like Jones, Hurt, Carey had their NBADraft.net player evaluations updated recently. Nothing too noteworthy but it might be interesting to those jonesing for some Duke basketball.
    The comparison of Matthew Hurt to Kyle Singler seems pretty lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    The comparison of Matthew Hurt to Kyle Singler seems pretty lazy.
    Agreed. Ryan Kelly makes a lot more sense
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Singler as a comp for Hurt - great for college, not so great for the pros. We know Hurt can shoot but if he has Singler’s toughness inside then he’ll be a stud for us.

Nah

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Agreed. Ryan Kelly makes a lot more sense
    Should be Alarie!