Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by richmclean View Post
    Do we still have those BMEs on the roster to 3D print a collarbone brace?
    I'm sure the ortho staff at Duke Med can prescribe something that the BME Department can 3D print in landscape or portrait.

Bobo isn't Jones in the eyes of the coaching staff, and I would not be surprised if he sits out with the others. The first real(istic) test is 49 days away (VT). I recognize @MTSU will not be easy even if they are projected to have a rebuilding year. AL and A&T are "no injury" games mostly.

Gunnar Holmberg injured his knee and will need surgery per Steve Wiseman.
    Bob Green

Scrimmage report via Twitter: defense looked great, offense looked ragged.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Gunnar Holmberg injured his knee and will need surgery per Steve Wiseman.
    Thankfully he also stated not an ACL with no timetable for return. Another bummer.

Edit: Bummer that he got hurt. Was looking forward to him and all the young QBs getting some work but happy it’s at least not an ACL.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Scrimmage article from GoDuke.com Aaron Young caught a TD pass. Defense with multiple interceptions.
    Bob Green

Our younger son-in-law, former FB manager several years ago, thinks two wins this year . We discussed this with some vigor over dinner and a couple beer flights tonight. I think 6 wins is optimistic.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Scrimmage article from GoDuke.com Aaron Young caught a TD pass. Defense with multiple interceptions.
    That sucks. Of course our D knows the O better than our opponents will, but whew, that doesn't sound like the balance one would hope for. Wish we knew the scenarios. Underthrows, overthrows, bad misses entirely, etc.?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Our younger son-in-law, former FB manager several years ago, thinks two wins this year . We discussed this with some vigor over dinner and a couple beer flights tonight. I think 6 wins is optimistic.
    I'd say optimistic is an understatement...

The best news from the scrimmage was that Edgar Cerenord played and had two tackles for loss! By the way, the defense is typically ahead of the offense this early in the pre-season.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Maybe we should play our walk-on QB's vs Bama to keep our 2 recruited QB's healthy for the season. I know, I know. But we aren't going to beat Bama and I wish this young team was not starting with that. Honestly I wish we were not playing that game.

But hopefully I'm wrong and it will elevate our level of play to better be able to compete with less-talented teams. I'm just afraid we'll leave the game with more key injuries being so thoroughly, physically outmatched.

I saw on twitter that true freshman #7 Jordan Waters, Fr. from NC, switched from safety to RB, has only been playing RB 2 days, surprised people with his ability & coach said he’s never going back to defense. In yesterday's scrimmage he carried the ball nine times for 54 yards.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Great Jim Sumner article on yesterday's scrimmage.
    https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...e-wallace-wade
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

So our first team offense struggled against our second team defense? That's not particularly encouraging...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I think your son-in-law is wrong and I'd love to bet him a pie that we at least double his win total prediction. I'd even say beer, but I can't afford the juice on the consult fees.

Duke has 4 winnable games, and we have to win all of them - NCAT, Mid Tenn, GT, and UNC.

Because we also have 4 games we will almost certainly lose - Bama, ND, VT, and Syracuse.

We will probably be underdogs in the other 4, but we do have a chance of winning vs Pitt, vs Miami, at Wake, and at UVA if we bring it. I really want those Wake and UVA wins as payback, and the team will too.

Admittedly the probability of 6 wins is probably significantly less than 50%, improbable but not impossible. And the ceiling for our team could be 7 or even 8 wins. A great defense and better health could give us some chances and excitement. So I think 2 wins is worst case scenario, also possible of course. But I wouldn't bet on it. And that is what scares me most.

Expecting a rebuild, but hoping for the best. Trust in Cut. And win or lose, the tailgating and beer in the parking lot will be world class!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    So our first team offense struggled against our second team defense? That's not particularly encouraging...
    Maybe our D is stronger than the ‘39 Duke D that was unscored on until last few minutes of Rose Bowl😀

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I certainly agree with your point; however, there are a couple of circumstances to consider. First, Deon Jackson did not participate in the scrimmage. Second, Brittain Brown's participation was limited. From Jim Sumner's article:

Brittain Brown started at running back and had a couple of solid rotations but sat down for a platoon of backups.
    When a team's two proven playmakers are on the sideline, it is not surprising the offense sputtered.

A positive takeaway for me is Aaron Young who needs to have a big season. Once again from Jim's article:

One of the things that happened during the second half was Harris hitting Aaron Young for a 34-yard touchdown. A perfect pass and a contested catch in traffic.
    Young is the team's most experienced wide receiver entering the season even though he has struggled to stay healthy.
    Bob Green

Steve Wiseman, N&O article on the scrimmage.
    https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...233724752.html
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Steve Wiseman, N&O article on the scrimmage.
    https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...233724752.html
    I can't read the last couple N&O articles you have linked. They ask me to purchase a SportsPass to view.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Maybe our D is stronger than the ‘39 Duke D that was unscored on until last few minutes of Rose Bowl😀
    Damn you Antelope Kruger!

I can't read the last couple N&O articles you have linked. They ask me to purchase a SportsPass to view.
    Weird. I read the article and it didn't ask me to purchase anything. Good article. I always enjoy reading Wiseman (and Sumner)