Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Yes, six wins would be a very good (and for me unexpected) accomplishment.
    I’m more optimistic. Except for Bama and ND, not a believer in the other teams. I expect our D and running game to be strong and reasonably expect 7 wins (5-3 in ACC).

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    I’m more optimistic. Except for Bama and ND, not a believer in the other teams. I expect our D and running game to be strong and reasonably expect 7 wins (5-3 in ACC).
    I'm (kind of) with you there, so yeah...pour me a frosty glass of that optimisim also. It's not real hoppy though is it?

Seriously though, I'm always (and have always been) overly optimistic about Duke football - this season will be no different. I have a sneaking suspicion we might be better than advertised though. I also think Mr. Bobo will continue to impress, but I want to see someone else challenge him in regard to effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    I have a sneaking suspicion we might be better than advertised though. I also think Mr. Bobo will continue to impress, but I want to see someone else challenge him in regard to effectiveness.
    With you there. My only regret is that Clemson is not on the schedule. Love to have the opportunity to beat both participants from last year's NC game. When the first BCS rankings come out I really hope the voters don't hold a scheduling quirk against us.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    With you there. My only regret is that Clemson is not on the schedule. Love to have the opportunity to beat both participants from last year's NC game. When the first BCS rankings come out I really hope the voters don't hold a scheduling quirk against us.
    I'm okay with Clemson not being on the schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Arguably our most talented position. If Deon Jackson and Brittain Brown stay healthy, I expect both to be very productive this season. The delayed return of Marvin Hubbard could open the door for true freshman Jaylen Coleman to earn some carries especially considering the changed redshirt rules.
    Just think how many bubble screens they can catch!

{ducks}

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    We only won, what, three conference games last year, and this year we have a new QB and all new receivers (which could be, in some respects, good). UVA and VT beat us pretty handily, Wake humiliated us...unc couldn't be worse than they were last year...Syracuse is clearly on the rise. Seriously, if we win five ACC games this year, Cut deserves a major parade...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    We only won, what, three conference games last year, and this year we have a new QB and all new receivers (which could be, in some respects, good). UVA and VT beat us pretty handily, Wake humiliated us...unc couldn't be worse than they were last year...Syracuse is clearly on the rise. Seriously, if we win five ACC games this year, Cut deserves a major parade...
    That is the fun of the non-Clemson ACC. Just about every game not involving Clemson is a tossup, and this year is no different with the possible exception of GT and Louisville. I would break it down this way:

60%. GT. There's major retooling ahead back to a normal team. I think Duke scores 35-40 here.

50% +/-. UNC is the same analysis as GT but on the road. Wake will finish 2nd in the Atlantic but is no more talented. Like UNC 2016, we should expect a game down to the wire if we are anywhere near healthy and play with a solid effort. Syracuse overachieved by 3-4 games last year, lost its QB and other personnel, and the schedule flips. Syracuse is locked between ND and @Wake, which does scream letdown like Wake 2018, UNC 2015, Richmond, etc.

40-45%. UVA and Pitt. We've played poorly against them since their coaching changes, but neither team is insurmountable. Both will be improved and physical. Jones v. UVA might have been like Ross Martin v. VT.

20-40%. VT. They didn't get the Clemson RB transfer, and it's the toughest road game we have on a regular basis. Their defense should be improved in Foster's last season. Miami is another empty stadium against a more talented team. They will be motivated this year even at 0-7 in the ACC, but I ultimately don't think Diaz fixes the problem that Coker, Shannon, Golden, and Richt could not.

That analysis puts us at 3+ wins, which I would round down this season. 0-8 is very possible with multiple or key injuries, and 6-2 (2-2 at home) with a Coastal championship is a possible ceiling with momentum and some favorable bounces.

Coach Cut and Tre Hornbuckle talk about our first practice in pads - good stuff here.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...233548117.html

I believe that's the first time I've heard Tre extensively in an interview. I am consistently impressed with our student athletes.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I'm okay with Clemson not being on the schedule.
    Don’t worry. We’ll play them in the Conference championship game! LGD GTHc!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Coach Cutcliffe discusses wide receiver Jake Bobo:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1158881233503490050
    Last edited by Bob Green; 08-06-2019 at 08:19 PM.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Coach Cutcliffe discusses wide receiver Jake Bobo:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1158881233503490050
    Tx. Bob. High praise from the boss.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    ... 6-2 (2-2 at home) with a Coastal championship is a possible ceiling ...
    As I understand it, we have Charlie Ham and are going 9-3 overall ...

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Don’t worry. We’ll play them in the Conference championship game! LGD GTHc!
    Assuming they get there.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Anyone know when the Alabama tickets are going out?
    I received my tickets today, but I'm not sure Duke will know where to deliver them if your location is undisclosed. At least Duke knew to deliver mine to Earth.
    Last edited by duke2x; 08-06-2019 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    I received my tickets today, but I'm not sure Duke will know where to deliver them if your location is undisclosed. At least Duke knew to deliver mine to Earth.
    “You must spread some Comments around before commenting on duke2x again.”

(thanks for the info!)

our man Daniel gets big and generally good ink:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/07/s...section=Sports

Ready for some football and to watch this team. I think Coach Cut has really built depth and upgraded our talent. We shall see b/c the schedule is very tough.

IMO DL should be solid as well as our LBs plus the DBs but sure would like Gilbert back. Of course if Gilbert was healthy all last season IMO he would have entered the draft.

Offensively we have young talent and some new/old guys (AKA Returning Lettermen) in the program who are getting the opportunity they have been waiting and working for.

Hearing rumblings about a possible LB committing soon (today?) to the class of 2020...Bob Green waiting for you to confirm.

Also I really appreciated all the info Bob and Jim provide this forum about football...Let's Go DUKE!!!!!!!!!

Just saw Dorian Mausi 6-2 215 OLB from Detroit did commit...don't have any other info and really don't worry about the Stars that recruiting services had out. However he did have a couple of Power 5 offers.

Wait, is Duke still mailing subscribers paper tickets? I love keeping stubs but a couple years ago the Blues went to mobile entry and now you have to beg them for paper tickets if you have, say, a group of people on your season ticket and need to draft 44 separate regular season games among four people.

I attended nine of the Blues' thirteen home games in the playoffs. Have not one single keepsake stub.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Wait, is Duke still mailing subscribers paper tickets? I love keeping stubs but a couple years ago the Blues went to mobile entry and now you have to beg them for paper tickets if you have, say, a group of people on your season ticket and need to draft 44 separate regular season games among four people.

I attended nine of the Blues' thirteen home games in the playoffs. Have not one single keepsake stub.
    Gen-U-Wine paper tickets in a spirally notebook kind of format...a keepsake for the ages, that's what we get every year...

Your Blues methodology resonated with me, I used to split Montreal Canadiens season tickets four ways, held an annual draft...