Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
    Notre Dame got clobbered by Michigan looking at the scoreboard. We might have a better chance than most think.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Syracuse has only 3 wins: Liberty, Holy Cross and Western Michigan. We play them at home; this is a must win.

The Miami and WF games are tricky, but could win one of those. Not all is lost yet, but the O has to get it together.
    That’s fair. And they got clobbered by Maryland. Miami and WF are tossups and really need at least one win there. Does a 5-7 team go bowling this year?

Duke (#48) with a 24.1% chance of victory right now over ND (#14) per espn pri: http://www.espn.com/college-football...=150&year=2019

Duke w/ a greater than 50% chance of victory over Syr and Miami ...

Overall, Duke projected w/ 5.9 wins ...

As soon as we get our next win (either ND or Syr) life will be good again as we will then be focused on just one more for a bowl ...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Notre Dame got clobbered by Michigan looking at the scoreboard. We might have a better chance than most think.
    A nice silver lining to a rather large, dark cloud at this point. I thought this last PM and again this AM but was too disappointed (readers may substitute a more expressive/emotional word here) to post. Thanks for a bit of illumination.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I’d argue the opposite. In these situations, it seems we are the ones who don’t show up and the team that underperformed comes out on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    I’d argue the opposite. In these situations, it seems we are the ones who don’t show up and the team that underperformed comes out on fire.
    There's a game in between for ND...it's the Hokies that get the angry ND team next week.

There is a postseason pulse, but an amazingly weak one...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    There is a postseason pulse, but an amazingly weak one...
    And likely in the 5-7 beats per minute range, if that .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Per the SRS (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...9-ratings.html), here are P5 teams ranked lower than Duke and with the same or worse overall record as Duke.

#45 Duke 4-4
    -------------------
    #47 Miss St 3-5
    #50 KY 4-4
    #52 Nebraska 4-4
    #57 Miami 4-4
    #58 Cal 4-4
    #59 UCLA 3-5
    #60 South Carolina 3-5
    #61 Stanford 4-4
    #62 Ole Miss 3-5
    #64 Tennessee 3-5
    #66 Oregon St 3-4
    #68 Colorado 3-5
    #70 Texas Tech 3-5
    #71 BC 4-4
    #74 Illini 4-4
    #76 Arizona 4-4
    #78 Maryland 3-5
    #79 Syracuse 3-5
    #80 Purdue 2-6
    #82 Northwestern 1-6
    #93 Kansas 3-5
    #98 Arkansas 2-6
    #99 WVU 3-4
    #111 GT 2-5
    #118 Vandy 2-5
    #119 Rutgers 2-6

There are 65 teams in the P5 + ND; 26 are worse than Duke football right now per this metric (ranked lower in SRS + same/worse overall record).

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    Let’s be realistic. It’s a 3 game season where we need to go 2-1. We aren’t beating a top 15 ND team.
    Being realistic, ND is not a top echelon team. So, I think we can compete with them IF we don't make the unforced mistakes that seem to plague us this year.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    There's a game in between for ND...it's the Hokies that get the angry ND team next week.
    Ah thanks for the reminder - now we can just hope ND destroys VT next week, which is possible

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Being realistic, ND is not a top echelon team. So, I think we can compete with them IF we don't make the unforced mistakes that seem to plague us this year.
    A victory over ND would really get the taste of this week out of their mouths.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    ... we can just hope ND destroys VT next week, which is possible
    ND is an 18-point favorite: https://www.vegasinsider.com/college.../virginia-tech

We are going to have to be a lot more consistent to win this game, or even be in it, than we have been the last 4 games

I don't think we beat ND, and Wake will be difficult. The other two we can win and should, but who knows with this team?

With our inept play calling from Zac Roper we won't come close to beating ND in 2 weeks! We will be lucky to get to 6 wins but a lot of people on these boards seem ok with 6-6 and 7-5 and mediocre football is not the goal! I know I've been in the stands since the late 70's and have seen the highs and lows of Duke Football! I'm not saying Cut is on the hot seat by no means, but Duke Football is at yet another crossroads! Anyone with a sound mind knows we have gone backwards since the 2013 season. Cut needs to make some serious changes on the offensive side of the ball! Even, with DJ over the last 3 seasons we had receivers that couldn't catch balls hitting them in the hands or between the numbers consistently, the offensive line had him running for his life a lot. Our defense other that the a few bad games has been our best and most consistent area of the game. We have gone backwards offensively since Kurt Roper left, with Scottie Mo and now Zac Roper! The play calling versus the Tar Heels was atrocious just the in the 4th quarter alone. The defense had them back up on back to back drives and we got the ball fairly close to mid field area. Both of those drives and the play calling costed us, then we have 1st down with less than :40 and no time outs and try a ridiculous up the gut run that goes no where and then have to spike the ball to stop the clock. Fortunately, we got a nice pass to get us first and goal! To the RB jump pass that had 3-4 defenders smothering Noah Gray! If you call that play let the Q run the ball and jump I trust he can see that play breaking down and possibly throwing it away to live another down. This season is pretty much written 5-7 or 6-6 is best case scenario with yet another bowl of insignificance! As a season ticket holder and an avid DUKE Football fan, take time to assess the Offensive woes and do everyone the justice it deserves and make a change with a new fresh look O Coordinator. The future is bright we have a dynamic young receiving corp., young improving every game offensive line, and still a great all around defense therefore they're owed a change to give them the best chance to compete for a Coastal Division championship again!

Quote Originally Posted by dukeforlife View Post
    With our inept play calling from Zac Roper we won't come close to beating ND in 2 weeks! We will be lucky to get to 6 wins but a lot of people on these boards seem ok with 6-6 and 7-5 and mediocre football is not the goal! I know I've been in the stands since the late 70's and have seen the highs and lows of Duke Football! I'm not saying Cut is on the hot seat by no means, but Duke Football is at yet another crossroads! Anyone with a sound mind knows we have gone backwards since the 2013 season. Cut needs to make some serious changes on the offensive side of the ball! Even, with DJ over the last 3 seasons we had receivers that couldn't catch balls hitting them in the hands or between the numbers consistently, the offensive line had him running for his life a lot. Our defense other that the a few bad games has been our best and most consistent area of the game. We have gone backwards offensively since Kurt Roper left, with Scottie Mo and now Zac Roper! The play calling versus the Tar Heels was atrocious just the in the 4th quarter alone. The defense had them back up on back to back drives and we got the ball fairly close to mid field area. Both of those drives and the play calling costed us, then we have 1st down with less than :40 and no time outs and try a ridiculous up the gut run that goes no where and then have to spike the ball to stop the clock. Fortunately, we got a nice pass to get us first and goal! To the RB jump pass that had 3-4 defenders smothering Noah Gray! If you call that play let the Q run the ball and jump I trust he can see that play breaking down and possibly throwing it away to live another down. This season is pretty much written 5-7 or 6-6 is best case scenario with yet another bowl of insignificance! As a season ticket holder and an avid DUKE Football fan, take time to assess the Offensive woes and do everyone the justice it deserves and make a change with a new fresh look O Coordinator. The future is bright we have a dynamic young receiving corp., young improving every game offensive line, and still a great all around defense therefore they're owed a change to give them the best chance to compete for a Coastal Division championship again!
    I'm largely on the same page. I've been travelling a long way to attend most home games for many decades, don't see that changing...and I agree, Cutcliffe is not on the hot seat, nor will he be. But IF (big question) he really wants to meet his stated goal (oft stated) that we "compete for championships," I agree that he definitely needs to make changes on the offensive side of the ball (OC and OL coach). Lacking that, I don't see anything changing...our annual routine (good, of course, by Roofian standards) will be to win 3-4 OOC games/year (note to Cut: playing vanity games like Bama will not be helpful in this scenario) and then try to cobble together three conference wins (our conference record for the past handful of seasons has been well below .500)...one major problem is that our division is not static...UVA and unc have fired their respective nitwit coaches and look to be much improved from here on out...
    So we'll see what Cut does after this season...I do admit, I find it a bit befuddling for him to continually blame execution (OK, it surely ain't great) and not the scheme...the abandonment (to a great extent) of the downfield passing game is just one indication.
    In summary, I think Duke will always, to some extent, face talent challenges...as such, we need to have smart, innovative offensive schemes, and at the present time, we are nowhere close to that. Lacking any offensive coaching changes after the season, I have no reason to think anything will change appreciably. But I'll still be there.

I'm largely on the same page. I've been travelling a long way to attend most home games for many decades, don't see that changing...and I agree, Cutcliffe is not on the hot seat, nor will he be. But IF (big question) he really wants to meet his stated goal (oft stated) that we "compete for championships," I agree that he definitely needs to make changes on the offensive side of the ball (OC and OL coach). Lacking that, I don't see anything changing...our annual routine (good, of course, by Roofian standards) will be to win 3-4 OOC games/year (note to Cut: playing vanity games like Bama will not be helpful in this scenario) and then try to cobble together three conference wins (our conference record for the past handful of seasons has been well below .500)...one major problem is that our division is not static...UVA and unc have fired their respective nitwit coaches and look to be much improved from here on out...
    So we'll see what Cut does after this season...I do admit, I find it a bit befuddling for him to continually blame execution (OK, it surely ain't great) and not the scheme...the abandonment (to a great extent) of the downfield passing game is just one indication.
    In summary, I think Duke will always, to some extent, face talent challenges...as such, we need to have smart, innovative offensive schemes, and at the present time, we are nowhere close to that. Lacking any offensive coaching changes after the season, I have no reason to think anything will change appreciably. But I'll still be there.
    Must spread sporks, but I agree with everything you posted about our coaching staff. From Cut not being on the hot seat to the OC and OL coaches. Cut has the players and coaches on the defensive side of the ball but certainly not on the offensive side. It's time for a change and by the way, that might be the worst play call of all the bad play calls over the last 2 years. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Must spread sporks, but I agree with everything you posted about our coaching staff. From Cut not being on the hot seat to the OC and OL coaches. Cut has the players and coaches on the defensive side of the ball but certainly not on the offensive side. It's time for a change and by the way, that might be the worst play call of all the bad play calls over the last 2 years. GoDuke!
    Agreed that Cut isn't on the hot seat, but our offensive coaching definitely leaves something to be desired.

I think a big part of the frustration from fans is a sense that

1) A feeling that we squandered our years with Daniel Jones and failed to capitalize with any significant achievements with an NFL caliber QB on the roster.

2) Lack of optimism that we will be much better next year than this year, with questions at QB, and DL and possible questions/depth concerns at OL, LB, and DB.

3) Concern that the following year (2021) will really be a rebuilding year as we graduate a lot of key contributors.

Our offense will carry us to victory!!!....ND won’t even see it coming..😈😈