Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    National Hurricane Center confirms football season has arrived:

TS Activity.jpg

Larger image: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/xgtwo/two_atl_2d0.png
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I like this prediction from Pat Forde.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/forde-y...041102253.html

Of course, Duke is not included in those predicted losses, since we'll be ranked by then.
    Also from yahoo, a preview of the Notre Dame season. After predicting a loss to Georgia, “the Irish will bury themselves with one or two more losses down the stretch; Stanford, Michigan and Duke are the most formidable opponents, but games against Virginia Tech and USC could also be traps.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/bold-predic...112800783.html

Recruiting class still seems a bit small. Any recruits to keep our eyes out for?

Sorry didn’t know where to post this. But how is football recruiting going? Whose already Committed or Verbales to Duke n who/what folks/positions are we interested in n need?

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    Sorry didn’t know where to post this. But how is football recruiting going? Whose already Committed or Verbales to Duke n who/what folks/positions are we interested in n need?
    Commitments. https://247sports.com/college/duke/S...tball/Commits/
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Thanks

ESPN was just talking about how Chase Brice can grad transfer after this season. Would be great to see him in Durham.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Anyway, there are apparently 12 "hard commits." Maybe it's my eyes, but they all seem to be three-star players. Low numbers, high average quality?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

The first year (and subsequent) success of football recruits is generally tougher to predict than that of hoopsters...we often see some of the most highly touted recruits either redshirting or not excelling, while in virtually every class several lesser touted guys end up playing early...

By my logic position rank (translation: Oh look, there's this thing called "position rank"!) seems pretty important. Duke with only two commits in the top 50 at their position. Wonder if Duke is waiting on decisions from anyone else to hopefully pull up the class. ACC Rank 12, National Rank 66. Harumpf.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    https://forums.dukebasketballreport...ght=recruiting
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    By my logic position rank (translation: Oh look, there's this thing called "position rank"!) seems pretty important. Duke with only two commits in the top 50 at their position. Wonder if Duke is waiting on decisions from anyone else to hopefully pull up the class. ACC Rank 12, National Rank 66. Harumpf.
    The emergency of Danny Dimes, the Danchise, etc (hey, blame the NY Post) should help this.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    The emergency of Danny Dimes, the Danchise, etc (hey, blame the NY Post) should help this.
    All publicity is good publicity, but I wonder how much this really helps. It might help with QB recruiting (guys who thing Cut can get them pro-ready the way he did with DJ), but there is an element of "Duke must have not been a very good team if DJ is this good and they accomplished so little" going around.

The ACC just announced that the Duke-Pitt game Oct 5 in Wally Wade will be at 8:00 pm.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The ACC just announced that the Duke-Pitt game Oct 5 in Wally Wade will be at 8:00 pm.
    Love that. We'll be cooking a whole pig that day.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Here is a link:

http://theacc.com/news/2019/9/23/acc...for-oct-5.aspx

Game will be telecast on the ACC Network.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    All publicity is good publicity, but I wonder how much this really helps. It might help with QB recruiting (guys who thing Cut can get them pro-ready the way he did with DJ), but there is an element of "Duke must have not been a very good team if DJ is this good and they accomplished so little" going around.
    With due respect I think you're over thinking it....and QB recruiting was the main position I was thinking about, but it should help WR and TE recruiting too....

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    ... there is an element of "Duke must have not been a very good team if DJ is this good and they accomplished so little" going around.
    Duke with DJ at QB went 4-8, 7-6, and 8-5, a better record every year he was there. They won 2 bowl games and were nationally ranked (#22) at one point during DJ's last season at Duke. It is not like a recruit would look at that and think Duke is a lousy place to play football.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Duke with DJ at QB went 4-8, 7-6, and 8-5, a better record every year he was there. They won 2 bowl games and were nationally ranked (#22) at one point during DJ's last season at Duke. It is not like a recruit would look at that and think Duke is a lousy place to play football.
    So, I can't give numbers for 2019 because I'm not going to go through and check every starting QB by hand (at least not right now...maybe I will later this evening), but looking at 2016 where a handy article did my work for me, that would have been tied for the 29th best college QB win % in the NFL with Trevor Seimian ahead of Jay Cutler and Brock Osweiler (of starting QBs at whatever point the article was written). I'm not saying it hurts recruiting, I'm just not sure how much it improves it. Daniel Jones appears to possibly be the most talented QB to have played football at Duke, and if that should prove to be the case I think his time would reasonably be seen as a bit of a missed opportunity because we didn't have the pieces in place around him to capitalize (and we have had those pieces in the past so it isn't impossible for us to do so, we just didn't).

Hearing Duke and Cut referenced in the increased coverage of DJ certainly raises our visibility, which is important and will help, but f you're watching a lot of various sports media, a lot of the reaction now has been "well of course we didn't realize Jones was that good, who was watching Duke?" along with the "well he didn't show out much in college because he didn't have any weapons" which aren't exactly ringing endorsements of the program.

I think the problem is, that while people have learned that "Duke isn't lousy," the top dozen or so QBs each year fancy themselves at more traditional football powers...we all know who they are...to me it's analogous to top 25 basketball recruits: no, VT and FSU and Auburn are not lousy hoop schools, but the very top guys gravitate to schools like Duke, Kentucky and their ilk. So it just doesn't surprise me that much when QBs we make inroads with end up at places like tOSU, Penn State, USC (the real one), on and on.