Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Speaking of podcasts, the DBR podcast crew discusses football starting at 35 minute mark:

https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/db...hoops-thoughts

Jason, Sam and Donald promise a full preview in a week or two...
    Bob Green

Two weeks to go!!!!!! Woot!

Any news leaking out from last nights scrimmage?

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    Nothing so far, which is good news as I suspect we will hear absolutely nothing unless another injury was incurred.
    Bob Green

Hey everyone, Matt from WXDU sports here. We managed to score an interview with the Peach Bowl CEO and President discussing the season opener which we’ll
    Be airing on our show tomorrow evening between 6 and 7 eastern time. We don’t have a regular online archive but maybe I can get the interview up for people that can’t listen live. But if you can tune in, we’re at wxdu.org or 88.7 for you locals. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    more apt to get the nuclear launch codes I'd say...

Nice crowd at meet the Blue Devils Day - anyone else go? Also cool that they invited season ticket holders to join the team for the annual team picture.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by stingy View Post
    Hey everyone, Matt from WXDU sports here. We managed to score an interview with the Peach Bowl CEO and President discussing the season opener which we’ll
    Be airing on our show tomorrow evening between 6 and 7 eastern time. We don’t have a regular online archive but maybe I can get the interview up for people that can’t listen live. But if you can tune in, we’re at wxdu.org or 88.7 for you locals. Thanks!
    Thanks for posting! As a non-local, I'd love a link!

Coach Cutcliffe comments on Friday's scrimmage:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...234119697.html

1. Team stayed healthy! That's a good thing.
    2. First offense scored 24 points.
    3. First defense held second offense scoreless.
    4. The team is getting better every time it takes to the practice field.

Coach Cutcliffe commented the kicking game is progressing but my interpretation of his facial expressions while making the comment is it isn't where it needs to be.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Coach Cutcliffe comments on Friday's scrimmage:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...234119697.html

1. Team stayed healthy! That's a good thing.
    2. First offense scored 24 points.
    3. First defense held second offense scoreless.
    4. The team is getting better every time it takes to the practice field.

Coach Cutcliffe commented the kicking game is progressing but my interpretation of his facial expressions while making the comment is it isn't where it needs to be.
    Tx. Bob. Cut also indicated that the first team offense went 60 yards in the two minute drill for a field goal as the first half ended.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Steve Wiseman with more scrimmage information:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...234111737.html

Offensive Coordinator Zac Roper stated:

“We are young at the tackle spots and that’s OK, we aren’t just playing young players. We feel like we are playing young, talented players.”
    Roper also stated Deon Jackson playing in the second scrimmage helped the offense.
    Bob Green

We are young at the tackle spots and that’s OK, we aren’t just playing young players. We feel like we are playing young, talented players.”....MAYBE BUT...
    I gotta wonder how they’ll stack up on August 31st...and will they still be able to play the next game
    I know I know ...Negative Nelly here...
    ..but I can’t help but think with all the positive thinking here that...ain’t no way Josea...just ain’t no way

Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    I gotta wonder how they’ll stack up on August 31st...and will they still be able to play the next game
    I know I know ...Negative Nelly here...
    ..but I can’t help but think with all the positive thinking here that...ain’t no way Josea...just ain’t no way
    This thread is about the whole 2019 season not the Alabama game. A game thread will be opened at the appropriate time.

I'm one of the more optimistic Duke football fans and while I am not predicting a victory over the Crimson Tide, I refuse to concede the game before they kick the ball. Lots of young talent on the roster, how talented remains to be seen.
    Bob Green

It's hard to believe that the season is just around the corner. We have a ton of questions to answer all over the field, but I'm excited to see how we stack up. And that it's us with the chance to hand Alabama a 2-game losing streak.

As it happens, I have a ticket available in the Iron Dukes section for the Duke/Alabama game. A few friends and I bought tickets a long time ago, but something came up and I'm not able to make the trip. I'd love for the ticket to go to a good, Duke home. PM if interested! (Apologies if this isn't the right place, but there's not a ton of other Duke football chatter so I figured I'd throw it out here.)

No Votes for Duke in the Preseason AP Poll

Zero, zip, nada from the 62 AP voters, as opposed to ten votes from the Coaches Poll. Not truly significant because, at best, ten of the 65 coaches gave recognition to Duke at #25. Or, possibly one voter out of 65 voted for Duke at #16 and the rest said, "Nah!" Anyway, let's win our ranking on the playing field.
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 08-19-2019 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Typo
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Zero, zip, nada from the 62 AP voters, as opposed to ten votes from the Coaches Poll. Nut truly significant because, at best, ten of the 65 coaches gave recognition to Duke at #25. Or, possibly one voter out of 65 voted for Duke at #16 and the rest said, "Nah!" anyway, let's win our ranking on the playing field.
    I'm honestly surprised we got that many. I would be really curious where our votes came from.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I'm honestly surprised we got that many. I would be really curious where our votes came from.
    That Spurrier coaching tree must be strong...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Sure ain't a lot of love for the ACC at all in those polls. Three* teams total.

*reluctantly including ND, only because they will play more ACC teams than others.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

2019 Duke Football Digital Guide is available at GoDuke.com:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

I've just started looking through it. Barry Jacobs has an article on Quentin Harris (Belief in Quentin), Jim Sumner writes about Deon Jackson and Brittain Brown (Full Speed Ahead) and John Roth contributes an article on Michael Carter (Value Added DB).

There is a lot more content...
    Bob Green

Jacob Monk with a lot of love at 247 for preseason Freshman All American:

https://247sports.com/Article/Best-f...ley-134564281/

OL – Jacob Monk, Duke (No. 479, No. 27 OG)

Duke is not inexperienced at right tackle: 6-foot-7 redshirt junior Robert Kraeling started every game at the position last season for the Blue Devils. So the fact that the 6-foot-3 Monk looks well-positioned to win that job is much more of a testament to his ability than any playing-time-by-necessity scenario.