Page 9 of 82 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    So how does Today’s news change recruiting?
    Pondering this question, I think the answer is not much. Scheyer is the lead
    recruiter and assuming the staff remains the same (plus one more, maybe Wojo returns for a years or two?),
    the kids will love playing for him. We’ll see.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Quito is spectacular at 9,350 feet and -- for now, at least -- Ecuador uses the US dollar.
    Sorry, I do not recognize any fake numbers over 9314. That is the only number that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    So how does Today’s news change recruiting?
    It can't help. Many recruits came to Duke for the opportunity to play for the GOAT. Scheyer will have to prove himself before he can attract the top HS players, and I expect that will happen after a few years. It could help a bit with some of the lesser talented players (who aren't gonna be high draft choices) by adding some certainty to Duke's future coaching situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    It can't help. Many recruits came to Duke for the opportunity to play for the GOAT. Scheyer will have to prove himself before he can attract the top HS players, and I expect that will happen after a few years. It could help a bit with some of the lesser talented players (who aren't gonna be high draft choices) by adding some certainty to Duke's future coaching situation.
    Read post #159 on the previous page. "I'm a big fan of Coach K." Not Duke. Not Jon Scheyer. Coach K.

Jon Scheyer has to introduce himself and he has to prove himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    There is still quite a draw for the Duke brand, even without Coach K. The campus, the tradition, the facilities, the fans, the brotherhood, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Read post #159 on the previous page. "I'm a big fan of Coach K." Not Duke. Not Jon Scheyer. Coach K.

Jon Scheyer has to introduce himself and he has to prove himself.
    Yep. Scheyer has been a great recruiter when the sales pitch was “come play for the greatest.” It very much remains to be seen if Scheyer will still be a great recruiter when the sales pitch is “come play at the school that used to be coached by the greatest.”

Hopefully Scheyer adapts. But I suspect it will have a negative impact on recruiting for a bit. And like others have said, I imagine he will have to hit the transfer market early on until he builds a coaching resume.

Obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Pondering this question, I think the answer is not much. Scheyer is the lead
    recruiter and assuming the staff remains the same (plus one more, maybe Wojo returns for a years or two?),
    the kids will love playing for him. We’ll see.
    I have to respectfully disagree, and quite emphatically so. I think everything changes completely. OAD-level players are coming to Duke because of K's record of getting them to the NBA quickly, plain and simple. Scheyer might take the lead in recruiting a kid (as did Nate, Carrawell, Capel, etc.) and his skills in establishing a connection with them do play a big role. But those kids are signing on because of K. I don't follow recruiting well enough to know which five stars we're targeting for 2022 and beyond, but it's going to be a whole different ballgame to convince them to come and play for an unproven, young coach if they're planning to stay for a year and have millions of dollars at stake. Maybe K will be involved in the process over the next 9 months and help tell the story that Duke is still Duke even without him. But we'll have to see.

Perhaps another question to ponder is whether Scheyer WANTS to continue with the same recruiting model, or if he'll instead target more lower-ranked kids and sell them on staying and rebuilding the program the way it once was. Maybe with the two different pro leagues now poaching kids and the OAD rule likely to be eliminated in a few years, he'll decide that model just isn't the way to go anymore. Or maybe he'll decide to heavily mine the transfer portal every year and build the roster that way. It's anybody's guess. But it will be different, again just in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree, and quite emphatically so. I think everything changes completely. OAD-level players are coming to Duke because of K's record of getting them to the NBA quickly, plain and simple. Scheyer might take the lead in recruiting a kid (as did Nate, Carrawell, Capel, etc.) and his skills in establishing a connection with them do play a big role. But those kids are signing on because of K. I don't follow recruiting well enough to know which five stars we're targeting for 2022 and beyond, but it's going to be a whole different ballgame to convince them to come and play for an unproven, young coach if they're planning to stay for a year and have millions of dollars at stake. Maybe K will be involved in the process over the next 9 months and help tell the story that Duke is still Duke even without him. But we'll have to see.

Perhaps another question to ponder is whether Scheyer WANTS to continue with the same recruiting model, or if he'll instead target more lower-ranked kids and sell them on staying and rebuilding the program the way it once was. Maybe with the two different pro leagues now poaching kids and the OAD rule likely to be eliminated in a few years, he'll decide that model just isn't the way to go anymore. Or maybe he'll decide to heavily mine the transfer portal every year and build the roster that way. It's anybody's guess. But it will be different, again just in my opinion.
    I wonder if Coach K might act as an off-court consultant for some time, providing advice and insight on recruiting, player development, roster management and game preparation. If so, that might serve as a constructive transition to the new coach and staff members, and to new recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    I wonder if Coach K might act as an off-court consultant for some time, providing advice and insight on recruiting, player development, roster management and game preparation. If so, that might serve as a constructive transition to the new coach and staff members, and to new recruits.
    I can see Coach K continuing to serve Duke University and the men’s basketball program in some capacity.

Sort of like Frank Beamer’s situation at Virginia Tech. He was head coach from 1987 until his final game in 2015. He was one of the longest tenured active coaches in NCAA Division I FBS and, at the time of his retirement, was the winningest active coach at that level. Upon retiring, Beamer accepted a position as special assistant to the Virginia Tech athletic director, where he focuses on athletic development and advancement.

Something similar to that role may be in the cards for Coach K if he wishes. Beamer and Coach K are about the same age I think.

My view is that the sales pitch is still going to be very easy to sell recruits.

Come play for the greatest coach becomes...

Make your mark by helping us establish Duke as the premier college basketball program.

Kentucky was an easy sell for John Calipari. Even Matt Doherty had an easy time selling kids on playing for UNC. Jon Scheyer isn't going to struggle reeling them in.

Consider the situation. Roy isn't at UNC anymore. Rick Pitino isn't at Louisville anymore. John Calipari and Bill Self seem more interested in the transfer portal than the high school prospects. The Cameron Crazies will still be there. ESPN is going to televise all the big games. These are the brightest lights. This is the biggest stage. These recruits can be a part of building a legacy.

I think it starts with one player, Dariq Whitehead. He's the top 10 player visiting next weekend (June 11th). If Scheyer offers him and he commits, it's all downhill from there.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    I can see Coach K continuing to serve Duke University and the men’s basketball program in some capacity.
    I'm guessing his key card will work to get in Cameron for a few more years.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I heard many years ago when the K tower was first built that in order to take the elevator to the top floor (where K's office resides) you had to pass a retinal scanner. At the time this was high-tech, sci-fi kind of talk.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The real question is how long before Scheyer gets his office...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    The real question is how long before Scheyer gets his office...
    "Sorry Jon, but the view from directly below is pretty good, too. You'll like it. You can still see the tents and sh*t. In K-VILLE. That just rolls right off the tongue, doesn't it? KAYville..."
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

How hard are the opposing recruiters going to attack Scheyer ? The vultures will downplay any positives in a heartbeat. I can hear Calipari telling a recruit that past history shows that incoming coaches of highly respected programs don't have any success. Why get involved with that. Come with me - I'll take you to the Promised Land.
    My best wishes to Coach Scheyer and a HUGE THANK YOU to Coach K

no way to resolve this except to stay tuned and see what happens. K will be along at Scheyer's side this summer, that won't hurt. And it's not like the country is filled with coaches kids are dying to play for...

I long for the good old days when a big part of what Coach K sold was Duke University, academics, etc. The coach was a big part of the equation but not there was a lot more to it. Now when recruits visit do they even cross Towerview?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post

News flash, it would be different even if K was not leaving.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    There is still quite a draw for the Duke brand, even without Coach K. The campus, the tradition, the facilities, the fans, the brotherhood, etc.
    This is an area where the Brotherhood will continue to pay dividends. Because the current crop of NBA guys have all bought in for it, Scheyer, who recruited many of them, has the ability to say "Kyrie, Zion, Tatum, Ingram . . . they're all a phone call away. And you'll be part of that network if you come to Duke." Should give him a leg up over most first-year coaches when it comes to recruiting top talent.