Page 52 of 82 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1630
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    No.

The Zion, RJ, Cam, Tre class had the #1, #2, and #3 players in the class. Tre was a top 15 recruit too.

Also, it is worth noting that the entire 2022 class is not considered super strong from an historic standpoint. Several of the top players in that class have reclassified and are coming to school a year early, which makes the ranking of our guys look better.

Still, it is a great class and one that will be fun to watch next season! Lots of versatility and skill!
    Actually it was #1, #2, and #4 in Zion's class. Of course, Zion was #4.

Also, the 2016 and 2017 classes were better on paper as well (combination of similar top-20 plus a bit more depth behind it).

And yes, it's a watered-down class. Still, as you say, it's an unbelievably good first recruiting class for Scheyer. Certainly on par with Coach K's recruiting successes.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    And yes, it's a watered-down class. Still, as you say, it's an unbelievably good first recruiting class for Scheyer. Certainly on par with Coach K's recruiting successes.
    I'll put some random thoughts in this thread rather than the Coach Elko and Mark Mitchell threads. Some of it is prompted by CDu's comments and the discussion of the strength of the basketball recruiting class.

1. It is great to see that the discussion of a new football coach is the top thread on this board (hopefully this thread drops below it)
    2. It is also great that the second thread is about another great basketball recruit...what a great time to be a Duke fan...

The longer random thoughts...

3. Using some estimates there are 300 Div I BBall programs with ~12 players per team so ~3600 players of which ~1200 need to be replenished each year (assuming the average stay is 3 years). It is great that Duke gets 4-5 of the top 50 recruits almost every year regardless of the strength of the class. That is why Duke BBall remains competitive.

4. There are ~150 FBS programs with ~80 players per team so ~12000 players and ~2400 need to be replenished each year (assuming the average stay is 5 years). Duke does not get the top players every year. Teams like Alabama do. So the key to the football program's success won't be the best X and O coaches on offensive or defense but if they can recruit. On the ACC network they were talking about the new head coach at Miami. His philosophy is that recruiting is a 24/7/365 proposition and he is heavily involved. With that attitude Miami will be back in the national picture. Let's hope that is a philosophy of the new Duke football staff.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    I'll put some random thoughts in this thread rather than the Coach Elko and Mark Mitchell threads. Some of it is prompted by CDu's comments and the discussion of the strength of the basketball recruiting class.

1. It is great to see that the discussion of a new football coach is the top thread on this board (hopefully this thread drops below it)
    2. It is also great that the second thread is about another great basketball recruit...what a great time to be a Duke fan...

The longer random thoughts...

3. Using some estimates there are 300 Div I BBall programs with ~12 players per team so ~3600 players of which ~1200 need to be replenished each year (assuming the average stay is 3 years). It is great that Duke gets 4-5 of the top 50 recruits almost every year regardless of the strength of the class. That is why Duke BBall remains competitive.

4. There are ~150 FBS programs with ~80 players per team so ~12000 players and ~2400 need to be replenished each year (assuming the average stay is 5 years). Duke does not get the top players every year. Teams like Alabama do. So the key to the football program's success won't be the best X and O coaches on offensive or defense but if they can recruit. On the ACC network they were talking about the new head coach at Miami. His philosophy is that recruiting is a 24/7/365 proposition and he is heavily involved. With that attitude Miami will be back in the national picture. Let's hope that is a philosophy of the new Duke football staff.
    Its also about performance on the court/field. Recruiting more talented players should lead to better performance (wins/losses). Better performance should lead to more recruiting success. If a team repeatedly underperforms on its talent level, the ratchet effect spirals downward, and visa versa. Duke's football program has underperformed for several years and is in a death spiral. Let's hope some new blood will pull us out.
    Last edited by DoubleBlue; 12-11-2021 at 04:49 PM.

I tend to disagree. Bad generals lose battles, no matter how good the soldiers are. Same applies to football coaches and players.
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 12-11-2021 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Added a sentence
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I tend to disagree. Bad generals lose battles, no matter how good the soldiers are. Same applies to football coaches and players.
    I pretty much agree, though recruiting is very very important. Note that Wake and Duke generally get similarly rated recruiting classes each year but one program won its division and the other was winless in the conference.

… On the ACC network they were talking about the new head coach at Miami. His philosophy is that recruiting is a 24/7/365 proposition and he is heavily involved. With that attitude Miami will be back in the national picture. Let's hope that is a philosophy of the new Duke football staff.
    That’s all it takes? I wish it were possible to reduce Duke’s football problems to one dimension but there are many factors involved and luck is one of the more important factors. Pestering recruits with phone calls and texts 24 hours a day isn’t necessarily going to get them to commit to your school nor does getting highly rated recruits necessarily mean you’re going to win a lot of games. See Miami which has been underperforming its recruiting at least since it joined the ACC. At least Duke doesn’t have the problems with the underlying community culture that Miami has. I’d say that recruiting is the least of Miami’s problems.

If I were going to name the most important factor for Duke, it’s getting fans in the stands. There’s no formula for recruiting success when the stands are as empty as they’ve been at Duke and there’s no formula for sustained success on the field without better recruiting. I have no idea how you fill up Wallace Wade.

Over the last several days there have been tweets going around that Caleb Foster was going to reclassify. Today, lots of chatter that something is happening today or tomorrow in regards to the 2022 class with some people thinking it's the Caleb Foster news. Others are saying that someone else is going to commit today or tomorrow. Christian Reeves is a name that started popping up but I don't think Duke even offered him. Anyone else know what might be going on?

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Over the last several days there have been tweets going around that Caleb Foster was going to reclassify. Today, lots of chatter that something is happening today or tomorrow in regards to the 2022 class with some people thinking it's the Caleb Foster news. Others are saying that someone else is going to commit today or tomorrow. Christian Reeves is a name that started popping up but I don't think Duke even offered him. Anyone else know what might be going on?
    Would Caleb Foster re-classifying necessarily mean Jeremy Roach is departing after the season?

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Would Caleb Foster re-classifying necessarily mean Jeremy Roach is departing after the season?
    Necessarily? No. It could just be that Foster wants to accelerate his path to the NBA.

But it would certainly raise the question as to whether Roach will return.

In reality, though, I think this team has shown that having multiple ballhandlers isn't a problem.

It's smelling like Caleb Foster is re-classifying to attend next year along with a new commitment from Oak Hill teammate Christian Reeves.

https://www.oakhillhoops.com/2021-22roster

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospec...-reeves-256554

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Does anyone know when Foster's birthday is? Would this be a situation like Emoni Bates, who reclassified to go to Memphis this year (looking like a fantastic decision, he said sarcastically) knowing he wouldn't be eligible for the NBA for two years given his youth? Or would Foster reclassify and then be a potential OAD?

If it's the former situation, let's get the kid on campus ASAP, no questions asked. If it's the latter, I think there's a legitimate question one could ask about whether the 2022-2023 squad would be better with a junior Jeremy or freshman Foster running the point (if it is an either or), or even whether Foster's talents would be of better use with a potential 2023-24 squad.

All that said, I have the utmost faith in HCIW Scheyer given his successes so far and can't wait to see whatever the news is
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Just noticed that Rivals is now showing Christian Reeves with Duke interest and showing him as Duke lean from two insiders.

Edit:Looks like superdave beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    It's smelling like Caleb Foster is re-classifying to attend next year along with a new commitment from Oak Hill teammate Christian Reeves.

https://www.oakhillhoops.com/2021-22roster

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospec...-reeves-256554
    Rivals shows Reeves as a 3-star with his other schools of interest being Boston U., East Carolina, Charlotte, and East Tennessee State. Hmmm.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Rivals shows Reeves as a 3-star with his other schools of interest being Boston U., East Carolina, Charlotte, and East Tennessee State. Hmmm.
    That also gave me pause, but then I thought that we could use an Antonio Vrankovic, emergency big type on the roster... and if he's close friends with one of our stars that's a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    That also gave me pause, but then I thought that we could use an Antonio Vrankovic, emergency big type on the roster... and if he's close friends with one of our stars that's a plus.
    Isn't that what Stanley Borden is supposed to be?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Isn't that what Stanley Borden is supposed to be?
    I think Borden is lower on the pecking order/prospect scale than that.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I think Borden is lower on the pecking order/prospect scale than that.
    Yeah, there's still a pretty big leap from a consensus 3* prospect with mid-major offers to a walk-on, even a 7 footer.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Goldwire was an Eastern Kentucky commit until a last second offer

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Yeah, there's still a pretty big leap from a consensus 3* prospect with mid-major offers to a walk-on, even a 7 footer.
    Also offers from South Carolina and Minnesota

The Foster and Reeves development is interesting.

For Foster, it seems like he would either compete for a starting spot as the other guard with Roach or be part of the guard rotation, sort of how the staff saw JJ Starling before he committed to Notre Dame. If that means Foster is going to be at Duke for 2+ years, I am all on board that train. If that means Roach or Blakes is gone, that gives me pause. Hopefully, it is the former, but time will tell.

For Reeves, I had assumed the coaching staff would target post depth. Banchero, John, and Williams are almost certainly gone after this season. Lively is almost certainly gone after his freshman season. Filipowski and Mitchell, I'm less certain about their one-and-done status. My guess is at least one is a OAD. That leaves a big hole in the frontcourt for the 2023-24 season and beyond. I assume the coaching staff will target at least one forward/center in the Class of 2023. My guess is they bring in a player like Theo John or someone that can play either the forward or center spot for 10 minutes a night. Relying exclusively on freshmen for those two positions seems risky.

It would be great to develop a guy like Reeves, a 7-footer that has D-I offers, into a rotation player as an upperclassman. In fact, it would be a good idea to get another borderline top 150-type on the wings for the same reason. Duke had success with Justin Robinson and Jordan Goldwire. I love the idea of adding 2-3 of those types of recruits each year, assuming they want to stay, earn a degree, maybe work their way into a bench rotation spot down the line. That will help a ton with continuing the culture of the program if, as it appears, the coaching staff primarily relies on the top 15-25 players each year to form the core of the team.