Page 46 of 82 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Emoni can't jump.

Bates weighed in at 190 pounds, while he measured in at 6-foot-9 in shoes. He recorded a negative wingspan at 6-foot-7.25 inches, a surprisingly short mark considering his height. His vertical jump of 24.5 inches also didn’t stand out amongst his peers.
    (From a pro day hosted by Memphis.)
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/emoni-b...012958399.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I’ll guess Scheyer will want to bring in one transfer big for the ‘22-‘23 season. Banchero is surely gone, Williams highly likely to depart. John and Jones will be gone. Unless (1) Mitchell comes and can play part-time as a small-ball 4, or (2) Worthington or Borden can play 10 minutes inside, we certainly will need a 3d big.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    I’ll guess Scheyer will want to bring in one transfer big for the ‘22-‘23 season. Banchero is surely gone, Williams highly likely to depart. John and Jones will be gone. Unless (1) Mitchell comes and can play part-time as a small-ball 4, or (2) Worthington or Borden can play 10 minutes inside, we certainly will need a 3d big.
    Well, and it goes without saying (but this is the internet, so I'll say it anyway) that 17/18 YO "big men" are not typically strong enough to hold their own inside; consequently, graduate and upper class transfers, with more avoirdupois and muscle, make a lot more sense.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Emoni can't jump.

(From a pro day hosted by Memphis.)
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/emoni-b...012958399.html
    24.5"? Is that some sort of joke or slowroll that they're playing? That's not even close to average for an NBA player, which the Google device tells me is 28".

Isn't Emoni supposed to be a potential #1 pick?

Should I not be this surprised?

Can I use any more question marks in this post?

- Chillin?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    24.5"? Is that some sort of joke or slowroll that they're playing? That's not even close to average for an NBA player, which the Google device tells me is 28".

- Chillin?
    Maybe?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

- Chillin?
    oh yah! Well Larry Bird had a 28" vertical leap.

Oh, I forget whose side I'm on here..

Never mind.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Cam Whitmore just committed to Villanova. SF ranked #21 in the class, UNC had made him a priority recruit but missed out. Breaks my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by urinalcake View Post
    cam whitmore just committed to villanova. Sf ranked #21 in the class, unc had made him a priority recruit but missed out. Breaks my heart.

- Chillin?
    Not sure what the difference between vert and approach vert where he is 31.5. Maybe standing vert and running vert? I’d expect his 31.5 to be the comparable number to Zion’s 45…

Quote Originally Posted by JayZee View Post
    Not sure what the difference between vert and approach vert where he is 31.5. Maybe standing vert and running vert? I’d expect his 31.5 to be the comparable number to Zion’s 45…
    If you know physics it's not surprising that Zion's vertical is greater. When someone jumps they go up, but the earth also moves down away from them. Zion probably pushes the earth twice as far away as Emoni Bates does.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I embrace danger.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    If you know physics it's not surprising that Zion's vertical is greater. When someone jumps they go up, but the earth also moves down away from them. Zion probably pushes the earth twice as far away as Emoni Bates does.
    I think Zion bends time and space. He defies physics.

Quote Originally Posted by JayZee View Post
    That is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    I think Zion bends time and space. He defies physics.
    This. Zion is not of this world.

- Chillin?
    I bet his jumping/vertical turns out to be fine.

Of greater concern I'm sure to the NBA scouts are his short wingspan/short arms, and small hands.

Because of his age, Bates will not be eligible for the 2022 draft. In theory, he will be at Memphis for 2 seasons (he could transfer or he could go to the GLeague or OTE for a season). That makes him a truly unique young superstar -- a guy with OAD written all over him but who cannot be OAD.

We will have a whole season to see if his jumping/reach limitations cause him to be less effective than expected at Memphis. It certainly did not seem to impact him too much at the high school level (though he is not currently considered the phenom talent that he once was).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Because of his age, Bates will not be eligible for the 2022 draft. In theory, he will be at Memphis for 2 seasons (he could transfer or he could go to the GLeague or OTE for a season). That makes him a truly unique young superstar -- a guy with OAD written all over him but who cannot be OAD.

We will have a whole season to see if his jumping/reach limitations cause him to be less effective than expected at Memphis. It certainly did not seem to impact him too much at the high school level (though he is not currently considered the phenom talent that he once was).
    Somehow I think this kid has learned to overcome his physical limitations- he plays like a guard, is 6’9” and has a quick release. He may improve his jumping a bit but he also going to gain weight so he may not change it by much. That said- he may not be explosive but shooting is his bread and butter. I expect he will dominate in college and it looks like for 2 years but you never know if he may decide to take a lucrative pro contract overseas.

The coaching staff at Memphis has been talking a lot about Bates as a guard and he may even play PG a little this year. That would make a lot of sense if he has such poor measurables. At his height, he'll be tall enough to see the floor well and is supposedly an advanced shooter. The combination of playmaking and shooting at the lead guard will play up even if he can't elevate. Chris Paul seems to do just fine in that regard. Not sure how good Bates' handle is, but I'm sure the coaching staff at Memphis is working with him on that. The big concern is the ability to defend wings and forwards. If he really is that limited athletically and has such short arms, teams will exploit him through switching. He's going to have to compensate for that with strength. Good thing for him is that he has 2 years to work on it.

The big caveat to all of this is that the figures being shared by Memphis are... questionable. They have former Oregon F Chandler Lawson at 6'7" in a category they call "roster height" (whatever that is - with or without shoes?) and then measure his wingspan at 7'7". That's just unfathomable length for a player that height. Mark Williams, at 7'1", has a 7'8" wingspan, for reference, and he's just about the longest dude Duke has had (until Dereck Lively II shows up next season). You would assume that a player with that absurd length would be good at blocking shots and getting steals. In 2 years at Oregon, Lawson has not been good at either. Joey Baker had nearly identical block and steal rates as Lawson last year. At any rate, the NBA Draft Combine will answer a lot of these questions when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    The big caveat to all of this is that the figures being shared by Memphis are... questionable. They have former Oregon F Chandler Lawson at 6'7" in a category they call "roster height" (whatever that is - with or without shoes?) and then measure his wingspan at 7'7". That's just unfathomable length for a player that height.
    That is ABA* kinda questionable... but it is also probably true. Lawson is known for his wingspan. Back when he signed with Oregon in 2018, I found this article: https://talkbacklivenetwork.org/2018...-oregon-ducks/

Chandler, who possess a 7-foot-6 wingspan, is a complete player capable of locking down a team’s best play on one end, and leading a team in scoring on the other end.
    --Jason "* ABA = Armando Bacot arms" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    That is ABA* kinda questionable... but it is also probably true. Lawson is known for his wingspan. Back when he signed with Oregon in 2018, I found this article: https://talkbacklivenetwork.org/2018...-oregon-ducks/

--Jason "* ABA = Armando Bacot arms" Evans
    Yeah, he reportedly measured a 7'6" wingspan at the 2017 Nike Elite 100 camp: https://future150.com/hs/basketball-...lawson-sf-2019

Apparently a freak wingspan, that is apparently wildly underutilized by him.

As for Bates, I wonder what his standing reach is. It looks like he has an incredibly narrow frame (as in, the width between his shoulders is... not wide). That would of course result in a shorter wingspan even with the same arm length as a normal-framed person. If true, he could have "normal" arms and a narrow torso, which would result in a short wingspan but possibly a more normal standing reach. But it definitely sounds like he's not going to be a length player.

That said, what makes him a top prospect is his skill set. So if he can display that and play guard, it may not matter.

Mitchell

Any truth to Ball Durham headline that Mitchell is a lean to UCLA. Any news on Starling and Black?