Page 44 of 82 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Interestingly, Filipowski's twin Matt kind of fits this bill - it seems like he is being recruited mainly by mid-majors. I have not heard his name mentioned so I am assuming that a) he wants to go somewhere where he is more likely to get PT and/or b) he wants to chart his own course from his brother.
    I spoke to Andy Borman, Kyle and Matt’s AAU coach, a few weeks back on the DBR Podcast and he said Matt is not interested in playing for Duke. I got the impression Matt wants to be a contributor at a mid-major versus being primarily a bench player at a P5 school.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I am surprised that there is no mention on the JJ Starling visit that will this coming weekend. This visit is huge for Duke. Starling is another rising players who is a combo/scoring guard that some consider to be one of the top shooters in the class. The Staff have put a high priority on him and Duke is his last visit before he makes his decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaks19 View Post
    I am surprised that there is no mention on the JJ Starling visit that will this coming weekend. This visit is huge for Duke. Starling is another rising players who is a combo/scoring guard that some consider to be one of the top shooters in the class. The Staff have put a high priority on him and Duke is his last visit before he makes his decision.
    I suppose no news is good news. Starling has already visited Syracuse, Notre Dame, and Northwestern. There hasn't been any crystal ball movement after those visits, which I suspect is good news for Duke. His last visit is this weekend at Duke. I did find a quote from him after his trip to 'Cuse that seems like an important one:

Q: What did the second do for your recruitment, where Syracuse stands and when you're looking to decide?

Starling: "Syracuse is in my top five for a reason. I view it as a great school, that's not going to change. It doesn't really change because I still have to be open minded because on these visits schools are really going to try to wow you. So I have to weigh the pros and cons. I can't really give a definite or straight forward answer because I haven't taken all my visits. I'm probably looking at early October (for a decision)."
    So he's visiting this weekend and then plans on deciding shortly afterwards. That strikes me as a good sign. There usually isn't any buzz during the visit, but maybe there will be after he returns to high school in Indiana.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/...acuse-official

I feel like JJ Starling is a big recruit for this class. Top 30, hopefully multi year player, who can run the point or play on the wing. We have no idea who will return in the backcourt next year, other than Blakes, so Starling could be a critical rotation player or even a starter as a freshman. Hope he has a great visit!

This might be fodder for another thread, but do we have any real scorers in this class? I'm thinking about who you want to have the ball when you need a basket and the game is on the line. Offensive stalwarts. Whitehead seems like a prototypical slasher (kinda reminds me of Gerald Henderson), but is he a scorer? Filipowski might be our first point-center, but is he a scorer? Lively's strong suit does not seem to be on the offensive side. Schutt is a good shooter, but is he a scorer? My concern may be unwarranted but throwing this out there.

Also, does this class suggest that Roach is back for his junior year? I don't see a PG in this class, even with JJ Starling.

It's a fair question, if there's an obvious scorer on the roster. Most years, we know who that's going to be. Paolo is no doubt that dude this season.

My hope is that Trevor Keels sticks around for a sophomore season for this very reason. I think he would have the chance to show his offensive skillset in a way that could improve his draft stock. Of course, hoping for that to happen is probably foolish.

My guess is that Whitehead is that dude or, if there's an obvious mismatch inside, Filipowski can be a secondary option in the post. Whitehead looks like a slasher that also can knock down a jumper. If Jeremy Roach is around as a junior, he's another guy that could hopefully develop as a scoring threat.

One thing I really like about the potential roster for 2022-23 is that it might be one of the more balanced ones we've seen in recent years. There are a number of shooters. Lively can supposedly step out and hit an open jumper, although I wouldn't want to see that late in a shot clock in a close game. Whitehead and Lively are both considered excellent defenders (and Keels and Moore are both above average on that end, so hopefully one is back for another season), as is Blakes. Mitchell, should he commit, has all the athletic tools to be an excellent defender and slasher/finisher. I think the pieces are all there. Then it becomes about making the right play.

Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post
    Filipowski might be our first point-center,
    Bzzzzz, wrong! Danny Ferry was our first point-center!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Bzzzzz, wrong! Danny Ferry was our first point-center!
    In 1987 Ferry became the first--and so far, only-Duke player to lead Duke in scoring, rebounding and assists over a season.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    In 1987 Ferry became the first--and so far, only-Duke player to lead Duke in scoring, rebounding and assists over a season.
    I know you're right, but I wanted to look at Grant Hill's stats for 1993-1994. He led that team in points, assists, and steals, and was second to Cherokee Parks in rebounds and blocks.

That was an interesting season. If memory serves, Greg Newton got injured when his sneaker split open at the beginning of a nationally televised game, and Coach K was forced to burn Joey Beard's redshirt.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Jim … didn’t Art Heyman “unofficially” lead Duke in scoring, rebounding and assists in the 1961, 1962, and 1963 seasons? I know there were no official statistics on assists back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Jim … didn’t Art Heyman “unofficially” lead Duke in scoring, rebounding and assists in the 1961, 1962, and 1963 seasons? I know there were no official statistics on assists back then.
    I believe Heyman led in per game categories. Longer seasons have give per season numbers greater weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    It's certainly possible that Heyman would have led Duke in all three categories, had assist stats been taken.

The ACC unofficially kept apg stats for the 1963 ACC Tournament--may have been Brill but I'm not positive. Heyman was credited with 12 assists in Duke's opener against Virginia and Duke accepts that as part of a triple-double.

Starling visit

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Here's the money quote from the above article:
    Hope Duke keeps up our target recruitments committing. Any updates on Starling. Mitchell and Starling will not be easy. Kansas and Syracuse home cooking may appeal to these last two of 2022.

Posted on his IG by JJ Starling... photo taken during his visit this weekend:

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Wwll

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

He looks great in that color!

Posted BY STARLING ???!!!

Why would he do that I wonder....

Quote Originally Posted by TywinBlue View Post
    Posted BY STARLING ???!!!

Why would he do that I wonder...
    Well, it is sorta standard fare for these kids to post pics of themselves from each visit.

Here are the pics Starling posted of him in a Northwestern uniform: https://www.instagram.com/p/CUDpdehpHsa/
    And here are the ones from when he visited Notre Dame: https://www.instagram.com/p/CTacrk8pJXY/

I hope I am not being biased to note that the Duke setup for these photos is a lot more "cool" and compelling than what the other schools are doing.

-Jason "also worth noting that one of the first commenters on each of those other instagram posts is Kyle Filipowski... he's working hard to make sure Duke has the best class possible. I already love love love that kid! Jaden Schutt and Dariq Whitehead have also posted on JJ's insta photos" Evans

For those interested in the 247 Crystal Ball, John Watson entered a pick for JJ Starling - to Notre Dame, low confidence (3).

Well, it is sorta standard fare for these kids to post pics of themselves from each visit.

Here are the pics Starling posted of him in a Northwestern uniform: https://www.instagram.com/p/CUDpdehpHsa/
    And here are the ones from when he visited Notre Dame: https://www.instagram.com/p/CTacrk8pJXY/

I hope I am not being biased to note that the Duke setup for these photos is a lot more "cool" and compelling than what the other schools are doing.

-Jason "also worth noting that one of the first commenters on each of those other instagram posts is Kyle Filipowski... he's working hard to make sure Duke has the best class possible. I already love love love that kid! Jaden Schutt and Dariq Whitehead have also posted on JJ's insta photos" Evans
    As a professional photographer i agree. And Northwestern's are taken by someone who doesn't understand lighting well.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    For those interested in the 247 Crystal Ball, John Watson entered a pick for JJ Starling - to Notre Dame, low confidence (3).
    That tells me that Watson may not be confident where Starling is going, but he may have a good sense of where Starling is not going... Duke.

Sigh... not all that surprising given Schutt is in the truck and we are pretty likely to have at least one of Keels and/or Moore back next season.