Page 39 of 82 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
    Tyler Nickel commits to the heels

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    It's an exciting day in Chapel Hill, where they get to celebrate their 5th choice for next year's SF that will play behind Leaky Black and Puff Johnson!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    It's an exciting day in Chapel Hill, where they get to celebrate their 5th choice for next year's SF that will play behind Leaky Black and Puff Johnson!
    The snark is strong in this one. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    I read somewhere recently that it costs the US Mint 7.5 cents to make a nickel, so in the long run maybe this won't be a good investment.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post

But the transfer portal is now more attractive than ever and really helps to fill out the gaps (due to kids likely not having to sit out for a year). I have a feeling with Scheyer, Carrawell, Nolan, and Scheyer's replacement, they'll gain tons of traction with the portal
    Amile Jefferson!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Yes - good one!!!

yeah, if one believes the 247 rankings, they now have the # 34, 41, 79 and 143 guys committed for next year, though they've taken shots at the higher ranked kids. Remains to be seen if this inadvertent "strategy" bears fruit in a few years or not.

UK lands its third 5-star and third top-15 recruit for the Class of 2022 in Chris Livingston. He's the No. 6 recruit in the country and No. 2 SF (according to 247 Composite) out of Oak Hill. UK class is shaping up to be a formidable one.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    UK lands its third 5-star and third top-15 recruit for the Class of 2022 in Chris Livingston. He's the No. 6 recruit in the country and No. 2 SF (according to 247 Composite) out of Oak Hill. UK class is shaping up to be a formidable one.
    They are putting together a monster class. With the transfer portal shaking things up, though, I am curious whether assembling a team of freshmen is still the best strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by SlapTheFloor View Post
    They are putting together a monster class. With the transfer portal shaking things up, though, I am curious whether assembling a team of freshmen is still the best strategy.
    Agreed and as much fun as it is to poke fun at our baby blue neighbors recruiting misses, UNC is an attractive destination for transfers

Quote Originally Posted by SlapTheFloor View Post
    It worked in 2015...

Never mind

I'm still an agnostic on the portal. What's the best anyone has done in the portal this year? Many seem to view it as a supermarket where you can stock up on a good big man, PF, and shooting guard and go home. Is that true? I really don't know, but I'm a bit skeptical, especially when you factor in other factors applicable to Duke such as academics, ability to literally and figuratively play well with others, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'm still an agnostic on the portal. What's the best anyone has done in the portal this year? Many seem to view it as a supermarket where you can stock up on a good big man, PF, and shooting guard and go home. Is that true? I really don't know, but I'm a bit skeptical, especially when you factor in other factors applicable to Duke such as academics, ability to literally and figuratively play well with others, etc.
    Best example might be UVA, same conference, excellent coach, winning tradition and strong academics

Their 2020-21 team had:
    Trey Murphy from Rice; shot 50/40/90+ and went 17th in the 1st round of the NBA draft
    Sam Hauser from Marquette (sat out a year after transferring) -- another excellent shooter who had an All-ACC season; undrafted, signed 2-way with Celtics
    Tomas Woldetensae who came from JuCo and got minutes off the bench

For 2021-22 looks like:
    Jayden Gardner from ECU
    Armaan Franklin from Indiana

UVa

Funny to think of UVa as a big player in transfers, because Bennett’s defense is reportedly not easy to learn. And UVa, even with three good transfers on the roster, was awfully inconsistent last year.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Best example might be UVA, same conference, excellent coach, winning tradition and strong academics

Their 2020-21 team had:
    Trey Murphy from Rice; shot 50/40/90+ and went 17th in the 1st round of the NBA draft
    Sam Hauser from Marquette (sat out a year after transferring) -- another excellent shooter who had an All-ACC season; undrafted, signed 2-way with Celtics
    Tomas Woldetensae who came from JuCo and got minutes off the bench

For 2021-22 looks like:
    Jayden Gardner from ECU
    Armaan Franklin from Indiana
    good answer, thanks. I'm still not convinced one can readily pick and choose to fill a specific need, but clearly there are some good guys out there.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    good answer, thanks. I'm still not convinced one can readily pick and choose to fill a specific need, but clearly there are some good guys out there.
    UK.

They brought in Oscar Tshiebwe, Kellan Grady, Sahvir Wheeler, and CJ Fredrick. That's a PF, 2x SG, and a PG. Given what they lost, this does fill in the holes.

The transfer portal is a great alternative to "fill out the roster". For a school like Duke or Kentucky, where your turnover is very high every year, it's a really solid place to get recruits.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    This year was likely a bit anomalous because of it being the first year of the one-time transfer exception on top of the Covid effect, but there were a number of schools that seem to have made very effective (and aggressive) use of the transfer portal. The ones that jumped out to me are listed below (though I think Texas and Texas Tech in particular are outliers given that some of their heavy use of the portal is the result of Chris Beard's moving from Texas Tech to Texas and the associated roster turnover at both schools plus his strategic approach to deemphasize HS recruiting, which isn't something Duke will do). But, Kentucky, Kansas and Carolina seem like reasonable comps for how Duke could be expected to use the portal.

N. Carolina - Dawson Garcia (13 ppg, 7 rpg for Marquette), Brady Manek (11 ppg, 5 rpg for Oklahoma), Justin McKoy (3 ppg, 3 rpg for Virginia, but didn’t play much and people seem to think has future promise)

Kentucky - Sahvir Wheeler (14 ppg, 7 apg for Georgia), Kellen Grady (17 ppg, 5 rpg for Davidson), CJ Fredrick (8 ppg on 47% 3pt for Iowa), Oscar Tshiebwe (9 ppg, 8 rpg in only 20 mpg for West Virginia)

Arkansas - Chris Lykes (15 ppg, 5 apg for Miami), Au'Diese Toney (14 ppg, 6 rpg for Pitt), Stanley Umude (22 ppg, 7 rpg for South Dakota)

Auburn - Wendell Green (16ppg, 5 apg for Eastern Kentucky), KD Johnson (14 ppg, 3 rpg for Georgia), Zep Jasper (16 ppg, 4 rpg for College of Charleston), Walker Kessler (4 ppg, 3 rpg, obviously not reflective of his potential, for Carolina)

Kansas - Remy Martin (19 ppg, 4 apg for Arizona St), Joseph Yesufu (13 ppg, 2 apg for Drake), Jalen Coleman-Lands (14 ppg, 4 rpg for Iowa St), Cam Martin (25 ppg for Missouri Southern, DII),

Texas - Marcus Carr (19 ppg, 5 apg for Minnesota), Devin Askew (7 ppg for Kentucky), Timmy Allen (17 ppg for Utah), Dylan Disu (15 ppg for Vanderbilt), Tre Mitchell (19 ppg for U. Mass), Christian Bishop (11 ppg for Creighton)

Texas Tech - Davion Warren (21 ppg for Hampton), Bryson Williams (15 ppg for UTEP), Sardaar Calhoun (6 ppg for Florida St), Kevin Obanor (19 ppg for Oral Roberts), Adonis Arms (11 ppg for Winthrop), Daniel Batcho (redshirted for Arizona)

Oregon - De’Vion Harmon (13 ppg for Oklahoma), Jacob Young (14 ppg for Rutgers), Quincy Guerrier (14 ppg for Syracuse)
    Buddy, you may have missed this post also.

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    Buddy, you may have missed this post also.
    hey thanks..I did miss it.

Dereck Lively II
    @dereckl41
    9•20•21

Monday is the day...twitter seems to think the early decision skews to Kentucky because Mark Williams' NBA status will be undecided. What does everyone else think?

Under his tweet, tons of Kentucky fans are posting the following form tweet:

"As a true and honest Duke fan, pick Kentucky. As much as i would love to see you play in Cameron, UK is the move for you. Playing for John Calipari will get you ready for the NBA better than anyone else. I just want whats best for you, so go to Kentucky not my beloved Blue Devils."
    Last edited by Billy Dat; 09-17-2021 at 01:02 PM.

I'm a little surprised at Lively's announcement date being set so early; thought he wasn't going to decide until the spring. Would be amazing if we're able to land him but if not then it's early enough to pursue another big. I'm hopeful we'll get to see some Blakes-Lively alley oops next season.