Page 3 of 82 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Out of nowhere, Emoni Bates, widely considered the top overall prospect in high school, committed to Michigan State just now on ESPN. There has been a lot of expectation that Bates will go pro via the G-League. He may still choose to do that. But if he goes to college, it will be in East Lansing, Michigan.
    Bates is a major outlier of a recruitment considering all the unknowns surrounding the OAD rule. He’s widely considered a LeBron-level high school prospect, and given the recent assumptions that OAD would be phased out soon most assumed he’d be going straight to the NBA. In fact, no other high major program appeared to put significant time into recruiting Bates besides Tom Izzo, partly because he’s a local prospect.

Considering how early this commitment is and how much could change in the next two years, I think it’s wise to view this as a “soft” commitment. If OAD goes away Bates would be a prime candidate to skip school. He could also do that to the G-league depending on how that develops. Or, if the tea leaves start shifting towards OAD sticking around, it wouldn’t surprise me if other programs start to kick the tires. There are a LOT of coaches who have a better track record than Izzo on getting top-tier prospects into the NBA...

Out of nowhere, Emoni Bates, widely considered the top overall prospect in high school, committed to Michigan State just now on ESPN. There has been a lot of expectation that Bates will go pro via the G-League. He may still choose to do that. But if he goes to college, it will be in East Lansing, Michigan.
    It is fairly likely that by 2022 the OAD rule will be gone and Bates can go directly from high school into the draft. He would be the #1 pick right now in the 2020 draft if he was allowed to be picked. But, if he spends a year in college, I suspect Michigan St. will be the preseason #1 in 2022-23. Bates is that good.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Bates is a major outlier of a recruitment considering all the unknowns surrounding the OAD rule. He’s widely considered a LeBron-level high school prospect, and given the recent assumptions that OAD would be phased out soon most assumed he’d be going straight to the NBA. In fact, no other high major program appeared to put significant time into recruiting Bates besides Tom Izzo, partly because he’s a local prospect.

Considering how early this commitment is and how much could change in the next two years, I think it’s wise to view this as a “soft” commitment. If OAD goes away Bates would be a prime candidate to skip school. He could also do that to the G-league depending on how that develops. Or, if the tea leaves start shifting towards OAD sticking around, it wouldn’t surprise me if other programs start to kick the tires. There are a LOT of coaches who have a better track record than Izzo on getting top-tier prospects into the NBA...
    The language in his commitment itself (i.e., I don't know what my future holds, but I'm committing to Michigan State University) underscores this "soft" commitment concept, too. Very unusual.

Some interesting language in the article put out by ESPN.

"As a result, Bates' chances of playing college basketball have grown. A number of top prospects in the 2020 class, including No. 1 prospect Jalen Green, decided to join the new G League pathway program instead of going to college, but Bates didn't seem attracted to that option.

"It's good for certain players. That's a lot of money," he said. "I don't really plan on, I don't think I'll do it. It's good for some people, but I don't think I'll head that route."

Bates added that he would rather play college basketball than go to the G League.

There could be the option to reclassify after next year into the 2021 class and then do a postgraduate year before entering the NBA draft in 2022 if the age limit changes. Bates and his father confirmed reclassifying was on the table, but it hasn't been decided yet.

"I don't plan on reclassifying. I'll probably play two more years [of high school]," Bates said. "It really depends how this year goes. After this year it will tell me everything I need to know. I can't decide on that right now. After this year, if it's too easy, I might -- but if not, I'm probably going to play another year."

Smart move. A commitment, even a soft one, keeps the other colleges away if the OAD rule stays in place. Also looks good for Izzo (or his successor) as Michigan State recruits other players over the next 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It is fairly likely that by 2022 the OAD rule will be gone and Bates can go directly from high school into the draft. He would be the #1 pick right now in the 2020 draft if he was allowed to be picked. But, if he spends a year in college, I suspect Michigan St. will be the preseason #1 in 2022-23. Bates is that good.
    High praise indeed from a couple of guys who know hoops. Wasn't aware young Mr. Bates was in that category, but I'll be sure to follow his progress. I had the impression that he is on the slender side, certainly not a LeBron in terms of physicality; is there a good comp for his game?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    High praise indeed from a couple of guys who know hoops. Wasn't aware young Mr. Bates was in that category, but I'll be sure to follow his progress. I had the impression that he is on the slender side, certainly not a LeBron in terms of physicality; is there a good comp for his game?
    KD if you have to make one.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    LeBron was pretty lanky as a high schooler if I remember properly, right? Also worth remembering that Bates is still just a sophomore, so it's hard to project how/if his body will fill out at this young of an age.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

LeBron was pretty lanky as a high schooler if I remember properly, right? Also worth remembering that Bates is still just a sophomore, so it's hard to project how/if his body will fill out at this young of an age.
    Didn't recall the details about LeBron's high school football career, but came across this.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/6/...eveland-browns

Highlights:
    Very successful as WR his sophomore and junior seasons -- 57 catches for 1160 yards and 15 TDs as junior --- had been described as a "wiry 6'6" wide receiver as a high school soph; didn't play football as a senior
    By the time of the 2003 NBA combine, LeBron measured in at 6'7.25" without shoes and 245 pounds.

Didn't recall the details about LeBron's high school football career, but came across this.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/6/...eveland-browns

Highlights:
    Very successful as WR his sophomore and junior seasons -- 57 catches for 1160 yards and 15 TDs as junior --- had been described as a "wiry 6'6" wide receiver as a high school soph; didn't play football as a senior
    By the time of the 2003 NBA combine, LeBron measured in at 6'7.25" without shoes and 245 pounds.
    Imagine being a 16-year-old defensive back trying to guard LeBron James.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Imagine being a 16-year-old defensive back trying to guard LeBron James.
    Or think of those high school football players in the Spartanburg, SC area who would have had to line up vs Zion if he continued to play football.

For Zion, I can't decide whether his best position might have been TE, D-End, or (seriously) QB.

Or think of those high school football players in the Spartanburg, SC area who would have had to line up vs Zion if he continued to play football.

For Zion, I can't decide whether his best position might have been TE, D-End, or (seriously) QB.
    Picture the 16 year old DB facing Zion on a QB naked bootleg.

Julius Peppers was a RB in high school

An Emoni Bates tidbit

Take this with a grain of salt, but my go-to Michigan fan site had an interesting nugget in their latest basketball recruiting roundup:
    A solid source informed me over the weekend that “Emoni Bates has zero intention of ever suiting up for Michigan State.” While I haven’t spoken with Emoni or his father directly on the issue, I think this is probably an accurate claim as of today based on all the information we have.
    How much should we trust this? Well, since it's a Michigan fan-site reporting on an MSU commit, maybe not too much. But I will say that this guy has a solid track record of being realistic when it comes to recruiting (i.e. he isn't a blatant homer), and he tends to only mention his "sources" when he's quite confident on something. Regardless, penciling in MSU as the 2023 (or 2022 if Bates reclassified) national champs is looking more and more premature...
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Julius Peppers was a RB in high school

That just isn't fair.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    That just isn't fair.
    Neither was his "college" GPA of 1.8 (or whatever it was).
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    That just isn't fair.
    There's a story about Julius Peppers in HS. The team had completed practice, including running wind sprints. Everyone was on the ground, totally gassed -- except Peppers, who did handsprings the entire length of the football field.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Neither was his "college" GPA of 1.8 (or whatever it was).
    1.8 GPA after failed courses changed to C grade.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    1.8 GPA after failed courses changed to C grade.
    I thought I'd be pretty close with my guess. Thanks. I had forgotten about the changed grades.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Corey Evans breaks down Duke's early board for the Class of 2022

For his regular #TwitterTuesday column, Corey Evans of Rivals gives a breakdown of Duke's targets for the Class of 2022 (as well as a hint about the finishing touches for the Class of 2021):

Duke is one of the few programs that will not offer someone unless the particular prospect visits the Durham campus, or Coach K or a staff member gets the chance to evaluate the recruit in-person. The pandemic has impacted both avenues which makes predicting when they might make their first offer public a bit tricky.

However, the quicker Duke tidies up its 2021 class, the faster it can get ahead in the 2022 class. The Blue Devils would love nothing more than to have Trevor Keels and Pat Baldwin or Caleb Houstan pick them so that they can turn their attention to the 2022 class.

When that time comes and it doesn’t feel as if Keels and Baldwin are far off from committing, Blue Devils’ fans should watch Jaden Bradley, Dariq Whitehead, Dereck Lively, Kijani Wright, Bruce Thornton and Donovan Clingan. Landing a point guard and a center will likely be the greatest need.
    There's the usual crop of top 10-20 5-star prospects here, including Jaden Bradley (6'2" PG), Dariq Whitehead (6'5" SF), and Kijani Wright (6'9" PF).

After that group, the next crop include current 4-star prospects Bruce Thornton (6'2" PG), Dereck Lively (6'11" C), and Donovan Clingan (7'0" C).

My guess is that we'll have to be patient with the Class of 2022. If things go well, we could see them attend a game at Cameron Indoor Stadium in the spring and then it will be a busy summer in 2021 with plenty of offers. In the meantime, keep an eye out for any notice of a decision for Keels and Baldwin.