Page 28 of 41 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 560 of 814
  1. #541
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Did anyone think Scheyer's recruiting would go this well, this fast? It is pretty remarkable. I mean, Duke has arguably the best class in the country right now and these kids are committing to a guy who has never been a head coach for a single second of college basketball yet (unless you count the Coach K Covid games).

    Amazing... gives me full confidence in K and White picking this dude to be NEXT.
    I'm not surprised one bit that Jon is getting the recruits. He's always been a top notch recruiter. These kids are putting their faith in Jon, but they know Coach K isn't going away completely.

    I'll be impressed if Jon can consistently put up 25-30 win seasons with those recruits. That's still the hard part, and only that will keep the recruits coming.

  2. #542
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Somewhere, Jumbo is laughing and saying, I told you not to knock Jon Scheyer.
    Way to go Coach Scheyer and keep them coming.

    GoDuke!
    Who is Jumbo?

  3. #543
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Who is Jumbo?
    A former regular and moderator here who "retired" several years back.

  4. #544
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    A former regular and moderator here who "retired" several years back.
    Ahhh okay. Strange that I don’t recall him.

    Anyway, thanks CDu.

  5. #545
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Ahhh okay. Strange that I don’t recall him.

    Anyway, thanks CDu.
    It's been quite a long time. He was a big personality here.

  6. #546
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I'm not surprised one bit that Jon is getting the recruits. He's always been a top notch recruiter. These kids are putting their faith in Jon, but they know Coach K isn't going away completely.

    I'll be impressed if Jon can consistently put up 25-30 win seasons with those recruits. That's still the hard part, and only that will keep the recruits coming.
    This, to me, will make the transition so much smoother. Coach K will be more like Jim Calhoun than Roy Williams when it comes to retirement; he'll be around the program for years to come, taking less and less of an active role as the years go by.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

    President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

  7. #547
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Ahhh okay. Strange that I don’t recall him.

    Anyway, thanks CDu.
    He probably hasn't been posting for 10 years now. He was the one who did the original "Phase" series, back in the 2009-10 season. But he might well have retired shortly thereafter.

  8. #548
    We are off to a fantastic start with the 2022 class. But is anyone else a bit surprised we don’t have another offer out to a big man? Williams could be back next year, but I think odds are Theo, Paolo and Mark are all gone leaving us only Flip in the frontcourt. Lively would be a huge big man pickup but his recruitment seems very competitive.

    This is where the transfer portal can fill a gap for us but would love to see at least one more big in this class.

  9. #549
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    He probably hasn't been posting for 10 years now. He was the one who did the original "Phase" series, back in the 2009-10 season. But he might well have retired shortly thereafter.
    Jumbo and other formerly prominent posters made brief appearances after the first-ever Clemson hoops win in Chapel Hill -- after 59 consecutive losses. That was January 11, 2020.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  10. #550
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Jumbo and other formerly prominent posters made brief appearances after the first-ever Clemson hoops win in Chapel Hill -- after 59 consecutive losses. That was January 11, 2020.
    Whoa, you just threw a monkey wrench into this situation. The plot thickens, indeed.

  11. #551
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    So why wouldn't some NIL contracts be "transferable"...I am not portending the future but for example, why couldn't Wendell Moore say..."even though I am going pro...when I am in Durham I still eat at Bojangles!!"
    Because Bob's Used Car Lot isn't going to follow you to another state. (And there's a good bet that "most" of the NIL money will be local.)
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 08-02-2021 at 01:30 PM.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  12. #552
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Forest Hills, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Several comments:

    1. Jumbo wasn’t the only one strongly advocating “retire Scheyer’s jersey.” I had a lengthy debate with CDu, from which I benefitted significantly, even while “losing.” One or 2 other posters also strongly supported “retire Scheyer.” Jumbo may have been our “retire Scheyer” caucus’s most “irascible” voice, to remind us of his self-description. (Part of it, anyhow. He wasn’t always “cuddly” when Scheyer-izing. Still, all in good fun, and taken as such, IIRC.]

    2. Although those arguing against retiring Scheyer’s jersey “won” that debate, I don’t recall any of them actually knocking Scheyer’s talent and great value to the team. They argued that the standards were incredibly high, and Scheyer, as with so many other Duke greats, fell just short.

    3. But more important, I want to note a comment JDK makes on today’s home page about Scheyer, who shows a keen strategic mind and an ability to plan ahead for multiple possibilities. Imo, as a player Scheyer overcame his apparent limitations as a super-athlete with intuitive intelligence that was evident in his “anticipation athleticism”: steals, blocks from behind, that (2009 NCAAT game v. Texas) leaping-out-of-bounds-behind-the-back pass that went exactly in the direction he intended, his many weird backboard spin buckets. (One such basket Scheyer shot going full speed, spun it in from an impossible below-the-rim angle. If I had access to film of every Duke conference game his senior year, I’d watch ‘em, to find that shot.)

    I assume K, an intuitive fellow, values highly Scheyer’s strategic intuition. K saw it in Scheyer’s play and has seen it in Scheyer’s recruiting and coaching. Scheyer’s bball mind isn’t unique, but it probably is pretty unusual.

    In a nutshell, a key component of leadership. Plan, but be flexible enough to respond to changed circumstances.

  13. #553
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Whoa, you just threw a monkey wrench into this situation. The plot thickens, indeed.
    Jumbo was a big fan of Jon Scheyer, the player. Especially if anyone hinted he was un-athletic. He was a very good poster and moderator. I miss him along with Newton(another poster and moderator).

    GoDuke!

  14. #554
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Carolina Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Jumbo and other formerly prominent posters made brief appearances after the first-ever Clemson hoops win in Chapel Hill -- after 59 consecutive losses. That was January 11, 2020.
    That was one of the most fun threads I have ever followed on DBR.

  15. #555
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Because Bob's Used Car Lot isn't going to follow you to another state. (And there's a good bet that "most" of the NIL money will be local.)
    Agree with the local money, but if I am a duke athlete and I sign a multi-year contract with a local store and then move to the NBA, the local store benefits even though the athlete is not local.

    Why would this not apply to a transfer?

  16. #556
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Agree with the local money, but if I am a duke athlete and I sign a multi-year contract with a local store and then move to the NBA, the local store benefits even though the athlete is not local.

    Why would this not apply to a transfer?
    I think the post was in regard to a Duke player entering the transfer portal. Why would a Duke booster pay a player for their NIL after he/she transferred to another school?

  17. #557
    Also I it’s a bit naive to believe boosters are getting a dollar for dollar return their NIL investment. I could definitely understand the NIL agreements not transferring to the NBA so the booster can use the money to support a player still on the team.

  18. #558
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Agree with the local money, but if I am a duke athlete and I sign a multi-year contract with a local store and then move to the NBA, the local store benefits even though the athlete is not local.

    Why would this not apply to a transfer?
    Because a local store is cashing in on the local athlete. Do you think Bob's Used Car Lot of Durham is going to attract many customers with Joe Leftme while he is playing for Arkansas? (Joe will still make $ in Arkansas, but probably not as much as he could suited up as a Blue Devil.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  19. #559
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Asotin, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Several comments:

    3. But more important, I want to note a comment JDK makes on today’s home page about Scheyer, who “shows a keen strategic mind and an ability to plan ahead for multiple possibilities.” Imo, as a player Scheyer overcame his apparent limitations as a super-athlete with intuitive intelligence that was evident in his “anticipation athleticism”: steals, blocks from behind, that (2009 NCAAT game v. Texas) leaping-out-of-bounds-behind-the-back pass that went exactly in the direction he intended, his many weird backboard spin buckets. (One such basket Scheyer shot going full speed, spun it in from an impossible below-the-rim angle. If I had access to film of every Duke conference game his senior year, I’d watch ‘em, to find that shot.)

    I assume K, an intuitive fellow, values highly Scheyer’s strategic intuition. K saw it in Scheyer’s play and has seen it in Scheyer’s recruiting and coaching. Scheyer’s bball mind isn’t unique, but it probably is pretty unusual.
    I just wanted to bold this and offer the deliberately missed FT by Tre Jones at Carolina as supporting evidence. Brilliant coaching by Scheyer, brilliant execution by Jones.

  20. #560
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Because a local store is cashing in on the local athlete. Do you think Bob's Used Car Lot of Durham is going to attract many customers with Joe Leftme while he is playing for Arkansas? (Joe will still make $ in Arkansas, but probably not as much as he could suited up as a Blue Devil.)
    I was looking at this from the athletes perspective. If an athlete could get a multi year contract they would. The perspective you are pointing out is that a local store should be cautious of the multi year NIL deal which is a very valid point.

Similar Threads

  1. 2023 Men's Basketball Recruiting
    By DavidBenAkiva in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 09-16-2021, 06:53 PM
  2. US Soccer/2019 Gold Cup/Road to Qatar 2022
    By Acymetric in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 175
    Last Post: 09-10-2021, 11:43 AM
  3. 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting
    By BD80 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 4070
    Last Post: 07-08-2019, 09:43 AM
  4. Women's Basketball Recruiting
    By NYC Duke Fan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-06-2008, 11:17 AM
  5. Women's Basketball Recruiting
    By NYC Duke Fan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2007, 02:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •