Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 53
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Coach Boyle's description on the Montverde Academy page includes a Coach K quote and needs an update (added by me in bold):

    "Only H.S. or college coach to have a No.1 pick (Ben Simmons & Kyrie Irving), No.2 pick (D’Angelo Russell & Michael Kidd Gilchrist), and No.3 pick (Joel Embiid & RJ Barrett) in the NBA Draft"
    Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    How can this be true when Coach K has had multiple players drafted as the No. 1 pick (Elton Brand, Kyrie Irving, Zion Williamson), No 2. Pick (Danny Ferry, Jay Williams, Brandon Ingram, Marvin Bagley), and No 3 pick (Grant Hill, Mike Dunleavy Jr, Jahlil Okafor, Jayson Tatum, RJ Barrett) as well as multiple players at other lottery pick positions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    I can't believe I forgot to mention Christian Laettner, arguable the most accomplished Duke and ACC player of all time, was the No. 3 pick of the 1992 draft. We have been blessed to see some truly great and unique players wear the Duke uniform and play for K.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Over that same time frame, Calipari at Kentucky has had 1 Number 1 (Anthony Davis), 1 Number 2 (Michael Kidd-Gilchrist), and 0 Number 3 draft picks.
    When I quoted that bit about Coach Boyle, I sort of accepted it as fact, with no #2 picks from Duke immediately coming to mind. Sorry about that.

    Class of '94 (with the Laettner addendum) has Coach K's list. For the record, here are the top 3 NBA Draft picks claimed by John Calipari (not just at Kentucky).

    #1: Derrick Rose (2008), John Wall (2010), Anthony Davis (2012), Karl-Anthony Towns (2015)
    #2: Marcus Camby (1996), Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (2012)
    #3: Enes Kanter (2011)

    Presumably Cal coached Kanter in practice that season, right?

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    The only way this statement would make sense is that it is outdated. Boyle was hired in 2012. If you started from that point in time, Boyle was the only coach that had the numbers 1, 2, and 3 picks in the NBA draft until Zion was drafted #1 overall in 2019. From 2012 on, Coach K has had 1 Number 1 (Zion), 3 Number 2 (Jabari, Ingram, Bagley), and 3 Number 3 (Jahlil, Jayson, and RJ) draft picks.

    Over that same time frame, Calipari at Kentucky has had 1 Number 1 (Anthony Davis), 1 Number 2 (Michael Kidd-Gilchrist), and 0 Number 3 draft picks.
    What about Kyrie? 2011

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty1911 View Post
    What about Kyrie? 2011
    Anyway, Boyle is the only living HS coach with that pedigree. Checked on Morgan Wootten at DeMatha, but doesn't meet 1, 2, and 3.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty1911 View Post
    What about Kyrie? 2011
    If you are starting from 2012, then you don't county Kyrie in 2011. At least, that's the way Montverde Academy counts it.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Anyway, Boyle is the only living HS coach with that pedigree. Checked on Morgan Wootten at DeMatha, but doesn't meet 1, 2, and 3.
    I don't know much about high school basketball, but Steve Smith of Oak Hill Academy comes close.

    #1: (none)
    #2: Kevin Durant (2007), Michael Beasley (2008)
    #3: Jerry Stackhouse (1995), Carmelo Anthony (2003)

    Durant and Beasley aren't listed in the link because they only played their junior years there. (Cole Anthony could theoretically join the list, but the highest I've seen him is #5, and that feels like a reach.)

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    If you are starting from 2012, then you don't county Kyrie in 2011. At least, that's the way Montverde Academy counts it.
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Coach Boyle's description on the Montverde Academy page includes a Coach K quote and needs an update (added by me in bold):

    "Only H.S. or college coach to have a No.1 pick (Ben Simmons & Kyrie Irving), No.2 pick (D’Angelo Russell & Michael Kidd Gilchrist), and No.3 pick (Joel Embiid & RJ Barrett) in the NBA Draft"
    Except, it seems Montverde is counting Kyrie. So if they're going to count him, we would too, no?

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by atoomer0881 View Post
    Except, it seems Montverde is counting Kyrie. So if they're going to count him, we would too, no?
    Who knows? I think it is an outdated claim that was only true during a very specific timeframe.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Who knows? I think it is an outdated claim that was only true during a very specific timeframe.
    That seems to make the most sense haha

  9. #29

    Wink I think it was outdated from the moment he was hired

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    The only way this statement would make sense is that it is outdated. Boyle was hired in 2012. If you started from that point in time, Boyle was the only coach that had the numbers 1, 2, and 3 picks in the NBA draft until Zion was drafted #1 overall in 2019. From 2012 on, Coach K has had 1 Number 1 (Zion), 3 Number 2 (Jabari, Ingram, Bagley), and 3 Number 3 (Jahlil, Jayson, and RJ) draft picks.

    Over that same time frame, Calipari at Kentucky has had 1 Number 1 (Anthony Davis), 1 Number 2 (Michael Kidd-Gilchrist), and 0 Number 3 draft picks.
    By 2012, K already had players drafted No 1 (Elton Brand, Kyrie Irving), No 2 (Danny Ferry, Jay Williams), No. 3 (Christian Laettner, Grant Hill, Mike Dunleavy Jr). Moving forward from 2012, K only adds to the lists of top 3 draft picks. I don't know when the statement about Boyle was made; but regardless, it was incorrect at whatever time it was made. Boyle at that time was never the "only coach H.S. or college" to have players drafted at No. 1, No. 2, and No. 3. If the statement was only intended to include players from 2012 to certain time prior to Zion, I wish it would have said so. It would have made things clearer and more accurate at the time.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    By 2012, K already had players drafted No 1 (Elton Brand, Kyrie Irving), No 2 (Danny Ferry, Jay Williams), No. 3 (Christian Laettner, Grant Hill, Mike Dunleavy Jr). Moving forward from 2012, K only adds to the lists of top 3 draft picks. I don't know when the statement about Boyle was made; but regardless, it was incorrect at whatever time it was made. Boyle at that time was never the "only coach H.S. or college" to have players drafted at No. 1, No. 2, and No. 3. If the statement was only intended to include players from 2012 to certain time prior to Zion, I wish it would have said so. It would have made things clearer and more accurate at the time.
    Well, the statement was wrong, or "obsolete," as of draft day 1999 -- that's 21 years ago: Ferry, Laettner, Brand.

    Anyway "stuff happens" in SID press material, and it lives forever. Also, "stuff happens" on Wikipedia -- but is often corrected and occasionally made worse.

    I'll come back and tell the latest falsehood on the Dave Sime Wikipedia entry, after the editors cleaned up a whole bunch of trash that invented a college football career for the world-record Duke sprinter. Back to it later.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Well, the statement was wrong, or "obsolete," as of draft day 1999 -- that's 21 years ago: Ferry, Laettner, Brand.

    Anyway "stuff happens" in SID press material, and it lives forever. Also, "stuff happens" on Wikipedia -- but is often corrected and occasionally made worse.

    I'll come back and tell the latest falsehood on the Dave Sime Wikipedia entry, after the editors cleaned up a whole bunch of trash that invented a college football career for the world-record Duke sprinter. Back to it later.
    I will be interested to hear what you have to say about Sime. I seem to remember that Dave didn't begin the season on the football team. He came out to play after the season was well underway. I also seem to remember he was called the "lonesome end" because he was mainly a decoy. Teams respected his blazing speed. I love it when someone with a better memory than mine sets me straight.

    GoDuke!

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I will be interested to hear what you have to say about Sime. I seem to remember that Dave didn't begin the season on the football team. He came out to play after the season was well underway. I also seem to remember he was called the "lonesome end" because he was mainly a decoy. Teams respected his blazing speed. I love it when someone with a better memory than mine sets me straight.

    GoDuke!
    I think the lonesome end was Army's Bill Carpenter.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I will be interested to hear what you have to say about Sime. I seem to remember that Dave didn't begin the season on the football team. He came out to play after the season was well underway. I also seem to remember he was called the "lonesome end" because he was mainly a decoy. Teams respected his blazing speed. I love it when someone with a better memory than mine sets me straight.

    GoDuke!
    Dave Sime. He was around the track while he was a med student and I was an undergrad Duke. Here is a section of his NY Times obituary (impressively long) on January 15, 2016:

    He played one year of football at Duke as a lonesome end, lining up 15 yards from the nearest teammate. His first game was against Notre Dame, and on the first play of Duke’s first possession, he caught a touchdown pass. On the first play of Duke’s next possession, he caught another touchdown pass. The Detroit Lions drafted him, but that season was his last in football.
    Uhhh,... Not exactly. It was big news when Dave Sime joined the Duke football team. It was 1958, according to the records, and he would have been a first-year med student. He caught two passes for 18 yards and no touchdowns for the entire season. He is not listed as a football letterman at Duke (there is a Sime -- Scott Sime, his son, who played in the early 1980s). Moreover, I remember the AP story that Sime was not gonna travel to an away game -- probably Notre Dame, which Duke lost 7-9. I mean, the guy was a first-year med student and hadn't played football since HS.

    The Wiki entry plus the NY Times obit says he didn't join the track team until sophomore year -- he was a on a baseball scholarship. That was the year he broke a whole bunch of world records but an injury kept him from the Melbourne Olympics the following fall. Pretty amazing, and these are well documented. World records in the 100 yard dash at 9.3 (hand-timed), a couple of world records in the 220 (fastest was 20.0) and one in the rarely competed 220-yard low hurdles.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  14. #34
    According to the Hoops Hype Canada twitter account, Class of 2022 C Enoch Boakye of Missisagua, Ontario received a scout look from the Duke Blue Devils.

    Boakye is a 6'10" 240 lb post prospect from the Toronto area. He goes to George Harris Prep in his home town and has received attention from several high major programs, including Duke. Enoch has developed into a mature frame and appears to possess elite size and athleticism for his position.


  15. #35

    Rivals Releases Top 150 for Class of 2022

    It's unclear to me how Rivals and other recruiting sites are evaluating players right now, but Rivals did update their Top 150 for the class of rising juniors. Here are the top 10 and a smattering of players that I have seen pop up in chatter related to Duke.

    1. Emoni Bates, 6'8" SF, Ypsilanti, MI
    2. Jalen Duren, 6'10" C, Montverde Academy, FL
    3. Chris Livingston, 6'5" SG, Akron, OH
    4. Dior Johnson, 6'3" PG, Oak Hill Academy, VA - committed to Syracuse
    5. Caleb Houstan, 6'8" SF, Montverde Academy, FL
    6. Brandon Huntley-Hatfield, 6'9" PF, IMG Academy, FL
    7. Amari Baily, 6'4" SG, Sierra Canyon, CA
    8. Jalen Bradley, 6'3" PG, Charlotte, NC
    9. Keyonte George, 6'5" PG, Lewisville, TX
    10. Kijani Wright, 6'8" PF, Los Angeles, CA
    12. Dariq Whitehead, 6'5" SF, Montverde Academy, FL
    22. MJ Rice, 6'5" SF, Oak Hill Academy, VA
    30. Richard Issacs, 6'1" PG, Mt Pleasant, UT
    56. Noah Batchelor, 6'6" SF, Ellicott City, MD

    There are unconfirmed reports that Emoni Bates has received an offer from Duke, but it seems clear the coaching staff has been in contact. If Bates does go to college, Michigan State looks to be in a good position. But you can never count out Duke.

    Jalen Duren is a highly-prized recruit. He might be the most physically mature, explosive, and polished post prospect to come along since Dwight Howard. I've seen chatter that Duke is one of several schools that has expressed interest.

    Caleb Houstan is a polished scoring wing in the mold of Jabari Parker and Jayson Tatum. Duke has recently expressed interest.

    While I haven't seen an offer extended to any of these players, it seems like Duke is keeping tabs on Keyonte George, Dariq Whitehead, MJ Rice, and Richard Issacs. I haven't seen any connections with Noah Bathcelor, although the young wing from Maryland is said to possess a smooth shooting stroke and has stated his affinity for Duke in the past.

    Oddly, Rivals does not list Canadian big man Enoch Boakye.

  16. #36

    Something in the air? Look to Skyy

    Not my best headline pun, but what are you going to do? They can't all be winners.

    Today is the first day that college programs can reach out to prospects in the Class of 2022. The first contact in the class for Duke is top 25 G prospect Skyy Clark. Clark is a 6'2" combo guard from Brentwood, TN by way of southern California. He has been seen as a Kentucky lean and even made an unofficial visit there in late February. Clark is considered to be one of the most offensively gifted players in the class. He averaged 25.5 points/5.1 rebounds/4.2 assists/2.5 steals per game on 50% shooting and 39% from behind the arc. He can score from anywhere on the court and often does. He's not considered a natural point guard, but he has elite playmaking skills. If he can handle the PG spot in college, he becomes a very high upside prospect.


  17. #37

    Duke Coaching Staff On the Line

    The Duke coaching staff reached out to a number of players from the Class of 2022 yesterday. I've tried to collect them all from twitter and provide what I've been able to learn about them. The mix of players is surprising. Usually, the Duke coaching staff would be very selective at this time of year. We would hear about 4 or 5 players that they scouted at Peach Jam or EYBL. This is a different kind of year. I am a little surprised by some of the names here as well as some of the names missing from this list, including Caleb Houstan and Jalen Duren.

    5-Star (#9 247Sports/#2 PG) Jaden Bradley (Source: Andrew Slater) - Coaching staff meeting with Bradley today (6/16), former NC Player of the Year, originally from Rochester, NY; transferred this summer from Concord, NC to IMG Academy in Florida

    5-Star (#13/#2 C) Lee Dort (Source: Jake Weingarten) - From Texas, Dort is a physically developed 6'10" 240 lb post player with great size and length as a low post scorer and rim protector.

    5-Star (#18/#1 CG) Skyy Clark (see above)

    5-Star (#19/#5 SF) Mark Mitchell (Source: Jake Weingarten) - The 6'7" SF from Kansas has received an offer from the home state Jayhawks. Mitchell is going to attract more than local attention with an ideal package of size, skills, and athleticism for the position.

    5-Star (#22/#6 SF) Marquise "MJ" Rice (various sources) - The Durham native recently transferred from Durham Academy to Oak Hill Academy in Virginia for his final two years of high school. He is a big wing with long arms, athleticism, and a developing jumper. The local kid has already made two unofficial visits to Cameron Indoor Stadium.

    4-Star (#40/#4 C) Dereck Lively II (Source: Jake Weingarten) - Lively is a tall (6'11"), skinny (200 lbs) post player from Pennsylvania. He plays his high school basketball for Westtown, former home of Cam Reddish.

    4-Star (#76/#24 SF) Rylan Griffen (Source: Jake Weingarten/Stock Risers) - For a player just outside the top 75, Griffen heard from a lot of high major head coaches on Monday, include Jon Scheyer, Chris Beard, and Bill Self. Griffen, a 6'5" wing from Texas, said he spoke the longest with Scheyer. This one appears to be a prospect on the rise.

    4-Star (#92/#8 CG) Noah Shelby (Source: Jake Weingarten) - The Texas native is another Top 100 player with a lot of high major interest.

    I also heard that Duke reached out to Jalen Washington, a 6'8" PF from my home region, Gary, Indiana. Washington had an ACL tear that cost him his sophomore season but is a Top 25 prospect with elite size, length, and can really stretch the floor with his shooting. He is a high major prospect that could shoot up the recruiting rankings if he gets healthy.

  18. #38

    New Offer Alert: Caleb Houstan

    According to Corey Evans of Rivals, Duke (and others) has extended an offer to top SF prospect Caleb Houstan. This is the first offer that Duke has made for the Class of 2022. Houstan is a potential reclass candidate to 2021.

  19. #39
    More on Caleb Houstan.

    https://www.si.com/college/recruitin...-19-recruiting

    For example, just talking to Coach K about how he started coaching at West Point was interesting to me. I didn’t know that he started there so just to hear about his journey over the last 40 years was cool. I like things like that.
    Last edited by -jk; 06-28-2020 at 03:15 PM. Reason: added quote

  20. #40

    Bates Goes Green

    Out of nowhere, Emoni Bates, widely considered the top overall prospect in high school, committed to Michigan State just now on ESPN. There has been a lot of expectation that Bates will go pro via the G-League. He may still choose to do that. But if he goes to college, it will be in East Lansing, Michigan.

Similar Threads

  1. 2023 Men's Basketball Recruiting
    By DavidBenAkiva in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-08-2020, 09:24 PM
  2. US Soccer/2019 Gold Cup/Road to Qatar 2022
    By Acymetric in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-08-2019, 11:37 AM
  3. 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting
    By BD80 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 4070
    Last Post: 07-08-2019, 08:43 AM
  4. Women's Basketball Recruiting
    By NYC Duke Fan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-06-2008, 10:17 AM
  5. Women's Basketball Recruiting
    By NYC Duke Fan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2007, 01:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •