Page 11 of 82 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yep, a private school that recruits the best talent from all over the country and abroad.
    I hope Scheyer opens up recruiting international like Gonzaga. Over the years other than Canada, Duke has not explored overseas talent very effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    I hope Scheyer opens up recruiting international like Gonzaga. Over the years other than Canada, Duke has not explored overseas talent very effectively.
    Remember when K started coaching the US national team? Lots of folks, myself included, thought that this might open up the international portal for Duke. Didn't happen. Except for Jack White, I can't think of any Duke recruit in my lifetime who didn't prep in either the U.S. or Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Remember when K started coaching the US national team? Lots of folks, myself included, thought that this might open up the international portal for Duke. Didn't happen. Except for Jack White, I can't think of any Duke recruit in my lifetime who didn't prep in either the U.S. or Canada.
    Recruiting overseas requires a different approach and a different allocation of resources. It wouldn't be as efficient due to distance, although more can be done virtually now. Gonzaga has obviously exceled, but its probably a steep learning curve. It may not be something a new coach would be willing or able to tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Recruiting overseas requires a different approach and a different allocation of resources. It wouldn't be as efficient due to distance, although more can be done virtually now. Gonzaga has obviously exceled, but its probably a steep learning curve. It may not be something a new coach would be willing or able to tackle.
    Scheyer is scheduled to coach the US team in the July 2022 Maccabiah Games in Israel. That'll provide some international presence for him.

Krzyzewski did recruit a Polish big man named Prezmek Karnowski a few years back. He went to--wait for it--Gonzaga.

It also is less necessary when you can get the pick of the litter domestically. Not saying that Scheyer will continue to land top US recruits, but Duke has not had many issues recruiting for the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Scheyer is scheduled to coach the US team in the July 2022 Maccabiah Games in Israel. That'll provide some international presence for him.
    I had a great lawyer friend, now deceased, who was a Jewish guy from Queens. He loved the NBA and always knew the number of Jewish guys playing in the NBA. There were never many. The Maccabiah games may not be the most fertile recruiting venue.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I had a great lawyer friend, now deceased, who was a Jewish guy from Queens. He loved the NBA and always knew the number of Jewish guys playing in the NBA. There were never many. The Maccabiah games may not be the most fertile recruiting venue.
    Now...if we go back 70 or so years, I believe ...

I don't buy this. Gonzaga is a solid 5 hours further by flight than Durham to Europe, which is the main recruiting hot bed for Gonzaga. Also, the coaching staff can easily add resources for international scouting.

The coaching staff made a conscious decision to NOT prioritize international recruiting.

That's fine. Duke has been mighty successful focusing on continental recruits.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I don't buy this. Gonzaga is a solid 5 hours further by flight than Durham to Europe, which is the main recruiting hot bed for Gonzaga. Also, the coaching staff can easily add resources for international scouting.

The coaching staff made a conscious decision to NOT prioritize international recruiting.

That's fine. Duke has been mighty successful focusing on continental recruits.
    And the new transfer rules may upend recruiting altogether.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    And the new transfer rules may upend recruiting altogether.

-jk
    Add in the G-League, Overtime, straight-to-the-NBA, etc.

Recruiting will be veeeeeeery different in a year than what is was in 2019.

Will require a young man's energy to navigate it all (see what I did there? )
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Martynas Pocius
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/martynas-pocius-68413a96/
    I would like to see a Balkan Republic recruit. There must be someone that does not want to be a pro at 15 like Doncic.
    https://www.basketball-reference.com...doncilu01.html

Martynas Pocius
    I would like to see a Balkan Republic recruit. There must be someone that does not want to be a pro at 15 like Doncic.
    Scroll down on the link you provided. Pocius went to HS in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    As a Jewish guy living in Queens, I can tell you the number still isn't high.

That being said, Israel is a budding recruiting hotbed. Deni Avdija was a lottery pick just last year. Before him, T.J. Leaf played a year at UCLA and has been in the NBA for a few seasons while Omri Casspi had a good 10-year run.

Jews in basketball have been more famously on the sidelines, including Red Auerbach, Seth Greenberg, Bruce Pearl, and now Jon Scheyer.

I wish Coach Sheyer behatzlacha ("good luck") in the Maccabiah Games this summer as he prepares to take over the Blue Devils!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    As a Jewish guy living in Queens, I can tell you the number still isn't high.

That being said, Israel is a budding recruiting hotbed. Deni Avdija was a lottery pick just last year. Before him, T.J. Leaf played a year at UCLA and has been in the NBA for a few seasons while Omri Casspi had a good 10-year run.

Jews in basketball have been more famously on the sidelines, including Red Auerbach, Seth Greenberg, Bruce Pearl, and now Jon Scheyer.

I wish Coach Sheyer behatzlacha ("good luck") in the Maccabiah Games this summer as he prepares to take over the Blue Devils!
    World Maccabiah Games are next year, July 2022.

Other Jewish basketball coaches include Larry Brown, Josh Pastner, Ben Braun, Ed Holzman, Eddie Gottlieb, Nat Holman.

Other Jewish basketball coaches include Larry Brown, Josh Pastner, Ben Braun, Ed Holzman, Eddie Gottlieb, Nat Holman.
    I forgot they were pushed back a year to 2022. Makes me wonder if Scheyer is going to coach the USA Team after all...

Martynas Pocius
    Pocius played high-school basketball in New Hampshire.

Pocius played high-school basketball in New Hampshire.
    See comment 213 above.

Yep, Pocius, like Deng, Czyz and Barrett (and technically Irving, though he was raised basically his entire life in the US by American parents), was a foreign-born player but played his high school ball in the US. Vrankovic was a US-born and raised player of foreign parents, and as such played HS ball in the US. White is the only MBB player in the last 20+ years to have been recruited successfully to Duke without playing any high school ball in the US. We made a run at Przemek Karnowski but didn't land him of course.

Bruce Pearl