Page 42 of 82 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    I can’t imagine a better first year class.

And if we land both Lively and Mitchell, I’ll stand by my earlier statement that on paper this would be one of Duke’s top classes ever.
    Still gonna be hard, if not impossible, to surpass the 2018 class. That had the RSCI #1, #2, #4, #13, and #37.

But in terms of a first year class, my goodness. This is beyond anyone's expectations.

I think it already proves that Scheyer is an elite recruiter.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Still gonna be hard, if not impossible, to surpass the 2018 class. That had the RSCI #1, #2, #4, #13, and #37.

But in terms of a first year class, my goodness. This is beyond anyone's expectations.

I think it already proves that Scheyer is an elite recruiter.
    There are some gods who would like a word with you...

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    I'm referring to Whitehead, Filipowski, and Schutt. That's a helluva hull. Who are you referring to?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    Do not count chickens before the hatch..do not count chickens before they hatch..do not count...

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I'm referring to Whitehead, Filipowski, and Schutt. That's a helluva hull. Who are you referring to?
    It would be a great first year all by itself. You did, however, make comparisons to the best-ever (rated) class in Duke history, and you used the present tense in making those comparisons.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    If Lively does commit to Duke, that puts a cherry on top of Jon Scheyer's first class (that's not even done). He's an elite rim protector, extremely mobile for a center that can and will guard forwards and even guards, and will be a real difference maker on defense. Defense is the thing that makes him a 5-star primarily. He's a game changer on that end. He's just amazingly big and long. He measures close to 7'2" and with a 7'8" wingspan, which is Rudy Gobert territory. On top of that, he's FAST. He has a pogo-stick second jump a la Marvin Bagley. He just gets up and over everyone so quickly. ...
    I've not seen Lively play, but it sounds like from your description he could be one of the better defenders we've had in recent years at the C spot at handling ball-screens/PnRs, which have been a real weakness in our man-to-man defense in the one-and-done era where Coach K has had such great success in recruiting Top 10-level big men.

I'm no x and o expert like some others on the board, but it seemed to me that Mark Williams was quite good at that as the season progressed last year.

For those who've seen Lively play, would you expect him to be a plus defender on that aspect of the defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    I've not seen Lively play, but it sounds like from your description he could be one of the better defenders we've had in recent years at the C spot at handling ball-screens/PnRs, which have been a real weakness in our man-to-man defense in the one-and-done era where Coach K has had such great success in recruiting Top 10-level big men.

I'm no x and o expert like some others on the board, but it seemed to me that Mark Williams was quite good at that as the season progressed last year.

For those who've seen Lively play, would you expect him to be a plus defender on that aspect of the defense?
    I earlier heard a Lively comparison to Chase Jeter. Let’s hope his upward mobility in the rating system is warranted.

Mark Mitchell is planning to visit Duke again as well as UCLA, Kansas and Missouri.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Mark Mitchell is planning to visit Duke again as well as UCLA, Kansas and Missouri.
    Seems like he had more things to say about Duke than the other schools that he will be visiting. Also doesn't hurt to have the final visit. Things are looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    I earlier heard a Lively comparison to Chase Jeter. Let’s hope his upward mobility in the rating system is warranted.
    I hope he turns out to be better than Jeter and Javin. They were complimentary players at best. I think Lively will be a better player from all I've read about him. But the same was said about Chase and Javin.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I hope he turns out to be better than Jeter and Javin. They were complimentary players at best. I think Lively will be a better player from all I've read about him. But the same was said about Chase and Javin.

GoDuke!
    But neither Chase nor Javin were RSCI #2, which is where Lively checks in as of a couple days ago (first 2022 RSCI rankings just came out).

Chase did finish in the 15 range, but there’s a pretty big delta b/w top 3 and mid-teens in my mind.

That said, the style of their games looks similar. More face-up style, bouncy big men, as opposed to face the basket types like Jay & Vernon (to steal DBA’s comparisons…)

Let’s hope he’s more Bagley than Jeter (if he chooses Duke)

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    But neither Chase nor Javin were RSCI #2, which is where Lively checks in as of a couple days ago (first 2022 RSCI rankings just came out).

Chase did finish in the 15 range, but there’s a pretty big delta b/w top 3 and mid-teens in my mind.

That said, the style of their games looks similar. More face-up style, bouncy big men, as opposed to face the basket types like Jay & Vernon (to steal DBA’s comparisons…)

Let’s hope he’s more Bagley than Jeter (if he chooses Duke)
    When I read the description on how Lively plays, Bagley is the first Duke player I thought of. I didn't think of Jeter being bouncy, but I'd say Javin was, but he reminded me of a young deer that was clumsy. However I loved his energy.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    When I read the description on how Lively plays, Bagley is the first Duke player I thought of. I didn't think of Jeter being bouncy, but I'd say Javin was, but he reminded me of a young deer that was clumsy. However I loved his energy.

GoDuke!
    Bagley was not a rim protector - Lively is.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Was that from a Heel? He’s the #2 recruit in the country. I think it’s fair to have higher expectations than CJ.

Hope they start on time. I want dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Hope they start on time. I want dinner.
    If it goes as expected it will be winner, winner, chicken dinner for Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    If it goes as expected it will be winner, winner, chicken dinner for Duke.
    Had chicken for lunch. Making pizza for dinner.

Duke!
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Blue Devil

Let’s go Duke. JS is a stud recruiter.