Page 24 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cbolden1 View Post
    I know the are recruiting him the short part was why he's ranked so low. In order to be 6-5 and ranked higher you have to be a crazy athlete or a great shooter who can also be a ball handler and is athletic enough ex. Alex O"Connell .
    He has had a very good summer. I suspect the rankings will begin to reflect that.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Huh? What do you mean he's too short? 6'5" is HUGE for a college guard.

AOC's problem was never his height or lack of athleticism. He just never got there with his basketball IQ and ball handling skills, which severely limited his ability to create offense or be a good enough defender. And contrary to your point, Schutt, by all accounts is a knockdown shooter, both off the catch or off the dribble. I don't see that much difference physically between him and Jon Scheyer himself as a high school junior. He's more athletic than Jon, very capable of finishing above the rim. I think it's safe to say he falls somewhere between AOC and Jon Scheyer on the bball IQ spectrum. Depending on where he lies in that range, I think there's a lot of potential here.

The guy has offers from 15-20 schools, including several other big time programs. There's no way he's this coveted if he's not the real deal. I'd be surprised he didn't make his way up the rankings quickly during his senior year.
    Schutt is like the perfect example of how COVID was going to screw around with player rankings this year. You have to know there are going to be some under-recruited kids whose seasons never took place or couldn't get on a traveling team to get exposure this summer that will absolutely blow up as seniors in high school or as freshmen at a mid-major. Count on it.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Schutt is like the perfect example of how COVID was going to screw around with player rankings this year. You have to know there are going to be some under-recruited kids whose seasons never took place or couldn't get on a traveling team to get exposure this summer that will absolutely blow up as seniors in high school or as freshmen at a mid-major. Count on it.
    Bingo. That makes a ton of sense.

Interesting development on the Crystal Ball this morning. One of the Duke insiders for 247Sports has made a pick for Mark Mitchell to Duke with a reasonably high confidence.

Mitchell was one of the first players to schedule an official visit to Duke. Perhaps the commitment of Kyle Filipowski has moved the need for Mitchell, seeing a top player make the move.

At any rate, it's nice to see momentum after an expected delayed start to the recruiting cycle for the Class of 2022.

Interesting development on the Crystal Ball this morning. One of the Duke insiders for 247Sports has made a pick for Mark Mitchell to Duke with a reasonably high confidence.

Mitchell was one of the first players to schedule an official visit to Duke. Perhaps the commitment of Kyle Filipowski has moved the need for Mitchell, seeing a top player make the move.

At any rate, it's nice to see momentum after an expected delayed start to the recruiting cycle for the Class of 2022.
    Getting Mitchell, Flip, and Whitehead this summer would be a reeeedonkulous way to start the Scheyer era. WOW!

Getting Mitchell and Flip likely means that Flip would mostly play center for Duke as I think Mitchell projects more as a 4 than a 3 (especially if Whitehead is the 3).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Getting Mitchell, Flip, and Whitehead this summer would be a reeeedonkulous way to start the Scheyer era. WOW!

Getting Mitchell and Flip likely means that Flip would mostly play center for Duke as I think Mitchell projects more as a 4 than a 3 (especially if Whitehead is the 3).
    Mitchell physically fits the mold of one of those big wings that plays the nominal 4 in college/Duke. He's not known as a lethal shooter but he's not shy, either. He's a big-time athlete, though, and could potentially guard most forwards in college with a little added weight.

As for Filipowski, I think he's going to be a versatile player that goes between the 4 and the 5 throughout his time at Duke (and the NBA). I could see him pairing well with Mitchell or Derek Lively.

Lively, to me, is the key between Duke being a top 10-15 team and a top 5/National Title contender in 2022-23. He's one of the best defenders in high school as both a shot blocker with great length and timing in addition to his lateral quickness and length. I've seen a lot of praise from people that were at Peach Jam who saw Lively defend wings and guards well. On top of that, he's got a decent jumper. He could pair really well with either Mitchell or Flip. I love the idea of having those three on the roster together. It gives the opportunity to space the floor or go big with Flip and Lively. It would be quite the coup for Jon Scheyer to convince Lively to come to Duke. The crystal ball right now is that he is looking at UK. We'll see what happens.

Mitchell physically fits the mold of one of those big wings that plays the nominal 4 in college/Duke. He's not known as a lethal shooter but he's not shy, either. He's a big-time athlete, though, and could potentially guard most forwards in college with a little added weight.

As for Filipowski, I think he's going to be a versatile player that goes between the 4 and the 5 throughout his time at Duke (and the NBA). I could see him pairing well with Mitchell or Derek Lively.

Lively, to me, is the key between Duke being a top 10-15 team and a top 5/National Title contender in 2022-23. He's one of the best defenders in high school as both a shot blocker with great length and timing in addition to his lateral quickness and length. I've seen a lot of praise from people that were at Peach Jam who saw Lively defend wings and guards well. On top of that, he's got a decent jumper. He could pair really well with either Mitchell or Flip. I love the idea of having those three on the roster together. It gives the opportunity to space the floor or go big with Flip and Lively. It would be quite the coup for Jon Scheyer to convince Lively to come to Duke. The crystal ball right now is that he is looking at UK. We'll see what happens.
    Are we saying that Mark Williams is a goner after this season?

The 2022 NBA draft thread just started indicated Williams at #38, which doesn't sound like he would jump for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

The 2022 NBA draft thread just started indicated Williams at #38, which doesn't sound like he would jump for sure.
    If he has a season like he did once he started I think he's a first rounder for sure. 7Ft can run jump and defend is a late first pick if he can shoot a little then he's mid first

I just assume anyone listed in a mock draft is a goner. I'm not sure Trevor Keels will be a sophomore. Who knows these days?

My personal preference would be for Mark Williams to play as a junior at Duke because he loves being a Blue Devil and wants to be an All-American, finish his degree, hang the first National Title of Jon Scheyer's head coaching career, serve as the captain on the defending National Champions team, and then get taken in the NBA Draft Lottery. That's a bit of a long shot, but it could happen, right?

I just assume anyone listed in a mock draft is a goner. I'm not sure Trevor Keels will be a sophomore. Who knows these days?

My personal preference would be for Mark Williams to play as a junior at Duke because he loves being a Blue Devil and wants to be an All-American, finish his degree, hang the first National Title of Jon Scheyer's head coaching career, serve as the captain on the defending National Champions team, and then get taken in the NBA Draft Lottery. That's a bit of a long shot, but it could happen, right?
    NIL could also make for a fundamental shift in decision-making...or not. Who knows. But I imagine players will be able to make a lot of $$ being a Duke 4-year star on a title contender. If it costs you NBA draft spots though, certainly that doesn't make up for it financially, but if you're pretty "stable" from a prospect perspective, then perhaps the new financial incentives move the needle some.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I think it's safe to say he falls somewhere between AOC and Jon Scheyer on the bball IQ spectrum.
    Way to go out on a limb there, kAzE. 😋

If he has a season like he did once he started I think he's a first rounder for sure. 7Ft can run jump and defend is a late first pick if he can shoot a little then he's mid first
    I agree with your assessment of his size and skills . However, the NBA’s analytics seem to devalue that package. If his midrange shot is consistent and he shows 3pt potential he may be a 1st rounder. He can be a major legacy star at Duke if he stays and graduates in three years. Not convinced of his NBA starting potential in today’s game. Not many starting currently without a 3pt shot.

Quote Originally Posted by dukejim1 View Post
    I agree with your assessment of his size and skills . However, the NBA’s analytics seem to devalue that package. If his midrange shot is consistent and he shows 3pt potential he may be a 1st rounder. He can be a major legacy star at Duke if he stays and graduates in three years. Not convinced of his NBA starting potential in today’s game. Not many starting currently without a 3pt shot.
    As long as he can guard on the perimeter as well as being a rim protector, He will be a 1st round pick unless its a strong Wing/Creator draft then maybe early 2nd which is still basically late first money. The last 2 playoffs have shown nba teams that bigs are important, your going to need guys who can guard the Jokic, Ads, Aytons, Giannis, And Embiids while still being able to switch or hard hedge a guard if you want to go far in the playoffs .

He was nearly a goner after last season, but that's a different kettle of fish altogether.

Yea, our old criteria for an underclassman leaving was “you’re a goner if you think you can go in the lottery” then it became “first round” now its “if you’re in an internet blogger’s mock draft in the late 2nd.” Hurt and DJ going undrafted are living proof this past year (not to mention Cassius, late 2nd rounder last year).

So I think if you see reasonable jumps out Williams and Roach they are goners (I think people agree on Williams, but I’m already there on Roach…and agree with Keels. I’d bet you Keels thinks he is a OAD whether we do or not).

I suppose some guys will want to come back for various reasons like Tre did, but the majority will opt to go get a paycheck if it appears the NBA option might be open to them.

Dariq Whitehead just tweeted that he has been offered $500k from the G league. Should we be freaking out? His announcement is set for 7pm tomorrow.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Dariq Whitehead just tweeted that he has been offered $500k from the G league. Should we be freaking out? His announcement is set for 7pm tomorrow.
    No need to freak out over a guy that simply has Duke as one of his options having other options.
    If he says he's coming, then changes his mind down the road, then go for it.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Of course.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Don't we always?

It’s comforting to know that the commissioner of the NBA, Adam Silver, a Duke alum, is looking out for us (Duke basketball) and for the college game overall. 🙄