Page 38 of 82 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I assume that the reason Coach K announced so early - and the reason that our first offer for the 2022 class was so late - is because Coach K would specifically no longer be making the final decisions on recruiting offers.
    Yeah, something to the joke about being of a certain age and no longer buying green bananas.

I don't know that we on the board fully identified that sign of K's intentions a year ago.

I’ve read similar reports that say K is leaving all of the recruiting to Jon, Nate and Chris. The message to recruits is that K will be available as a resource and all of the benefits of the Duke program will still be in place, but it’s Jon’s team moving forward. It has me excited about the notion that K is able to devote all of his attention to just coaching this year’s team without having to split time being on the road scouting 16 year olds. I’d love to know what percentage of his time is typically spent on recruiting activities over the course of the season, and how that will play out in terms of game preparation and player development in this final season.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I’d love to know what percentage of his time is typically spent on recruiting activities over the course of the season
    Well, K has always had helpers to ease some of the load when it comes to connecting with the younger generation.

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Nice role for K, Jon can host the recruits and then they can get an audience with K for that special touch.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Nice role for K, Jon can host the recruits and then they can get an audience with K for that special touch.
    Yeah. Coach K is obviously involved in some capacity. He may not identify the recruits, he may not scout the recruits, he may not attend in-person visits, but he definitely speaks to the recruits and likely lets them know he'll be around Duke for a few years.

That's a massive draw.

At the same time, I'm really impressed by Scheyer's strategic focus for recruiting. He's not casting that wide and net and catching some pretty big fish. It also helps he can focus a lot on recruiting as he isn't the head coach this year.

This is the upside of an elongated succession plan. Davis does not have this luxury.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I’d actually be in favor of loading up on 3-4 year players except for the transfer portal. Those guys may not be around to contribute as upperclassmen anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Well, K has always had helpers to ease some of the load when it comes to connecting with the younger generation.

Michael Savarino was ahead of his time, appearing in ESPN commercials even before NIL was passed.

I’ve read similar reports that say K is leaving all of the recruiting to Jon, Nate and Chris. The message to recruits is that K will be available as a resource and all of the benefits of the Duke program will still be in place, but it’s Jon’s team moving forward. It has me excited about the notion that K is able to devote all of his attention to just coaching this year’s team without having to split time being on the road scouting 16 year olds. I’d love to know what percentage of his time is typically spent on recruiting activities over the course of the season, and how that will play out in terms of game preparation and player development in this final season.
    You know, I think that’s an excellent point (K having more time to focus on coaching his current players).

Yes, he’s always had help with recruiting, but this is different.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I’d actually be in favor of loading up on 3-4 year players except for the transfer portal. Those guys may not be around to contribute as upperclassmen anymore.
    What a challenge for Coach Scheyer on how best to navigate the changes brought about by the transfer portal.

Ideally, I'd like to see Duke have a net positive from the transfer portal -- gain better players than we lose. But I don't know if that is at all likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Michael Savarino was ahead of his time, appearing in ESPN commercials even before NIL was passed.
    Brevity had a good one on this:
    https://forums.dukebasketballreport...82#post1357282

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    What a challenge for Coach Scheyer on how best to navigate the changes brought about by the transfer portal.

Ideally, I'd like to see Duke have a net positive from the transfer portal -- gain better players than we lose. But I don't know if that is at all likely.
    Yes, overall I'm not sure that guys who failed to prosper at another school are what we generally look for. However, I'll concede that there are some guys who do well at small schools and want to move up (e.g. Curry), and the graduate school route could also work for us. But it's pretty haphazard in nature, little one can count on in a given year.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Honestly, I'd like to see Scheyer take the transfer portal seriously. It's safe to say Coach K didn't leverage the transfer portal, for one reason or another. And that's okay, because Coach K was able to get more talent than he needed with HS recruits.

But the transfer portal is now more attractive than ever and really helps to fill out the gaps (due to kids likely not having to sit out for a year). I have a feeling with Scheyer, Carrawell, Nolan, and Scheyer's replacement, they'll gain tons of traction with the portal
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Honestly, I'd like to see Scheyer take the transfer portal seriously. It's safe to say Coach K didn't leverage the transfer portal, for one reason or another. And that's okay, because Coach K was able to get more talent than he needed with HS recruits.

But the transfer portal is now more attractive than ever and really helps to fill out the gaps (due to kids likely not having to sit out for a year). I have a feeling with Scheyer, Carrawell, Nolan, and Scheyer's replacement, they'll gain tons of traction with the portal
    Well, it was just this past year where they didn't have to sit out a year for the first time ever. Coach K started to get more transfers recently (at least in comparison to earlier in his career) but I agree didn't load up on them certainly. But perhaps he would have in the future given this new rule. The sit out rule was a major disincentive perhaps especially given roster turnover at Duke recently and not knowing who will exactly be on your team in two years. Agree that the transfer portal is going to be active in the upcoming years and hopefully Scheyer utilizes it effectively.

I'm not at all challenging the premise that Duke should look at transfers more, but who in this year's crop would have been a fruitful addition? I'm just not up on who was available, and who might have been a good fit for Duke.

At times I think people toss around the notion of filling in from the portal like it's a grocery store with ten of everything...how truly stocked is the portal?

For those who had been concerned about Schutt's ranking (not me, I focus more on what offers a kid has) Rivals has jumped him 54 spots to the #54 spot; Whitehead is #4, Filipowski jumped considerably to #12 (from 37).

For those who had been concerned about Schutt's ranking (not me, I focus more on what offers a kid has) Rivals has jumped him 54 spots to the #54 spot; Whitehead is #4, Filipowski jumped considerably to #12 (from 37).
    Where are you looking? Based on these Rival rankings, Filipowski @ 5, Whitehead @ 9, Schutt @ 82

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/

I'm not at all challenging the premise that Duke should look at transfers more, but who in this year's crop would have been a fruitful addition? I'm just not up on who was available, and who might have been a good fit for Duke.

At times I think people toss around the notion of filling in from the portal like it's a grocery store with ten of everything...how truly stocked is the portal?
    This year was likely a bit anomalous because of it being the first year of the one-time transfer exception on top of the Covid effect, but there were a number of schools that seem to have made very effective (and aggressive) use of the transfer portal. The ones that jumped out to me are listed below (though I think Texas and Texas Tech in particular are outliers given that some of their heavy use of the portal is the result of Chris Beard's moving from Texas Tech to Texas and the associated roster turnover at both schools plus his strategic approach to deemphasize HS recruiting, which isn't something Duke will do). But, Kentucky, Kansas and Carolina seem like reasonable comps for how Duke could be expected to use the portal.

N. Carolina - Dawson Garcia (13 ppg, 7 rpg for Marquette), Brady Manek (11 ppg, 5 rpg for Oklahoma), Justin McKoy (3 ppg, 3 rpg for Virginia, but didn’t play much and people seem to think has future promise)

Kentucky - Sahvir Wheeler (14 ppg, 7 apg for Georgia), Kellen Grady (17 ppg, 5 rpg for Davidson), CJ Fredrick (8 ppg on 47% 3pt for Iowa), Oscar Tshiebwe (9 ppg, 8 rpg in only 20 mpg for West Virginia)

Arkansas - Chris Lykes (15 ppg, 5 apg for Miami), Au'Diese Toney (14 ppg, 6 rpg for Pitt), Stanley Umude (22 ppg, 7 rpg for South Dakota)

Auburn - Wendell Green (16ppg, 5 apg for Eastern Kentucky), KD Johnson (14 ppg, 3 rpg for Georgia), Zep Jasper (16 ppg, 4 rpg for College of Charleston), Walker Kessler (4 ppg, 3 rpg, obviously not reflective of his potential, for Carolina)

Kansas - Remy Martin (19 ppg, 4 apg for Arizona St), Joseph Yesufu (13 ppg, 2 apg for Drake), Jalen Coleman-Lands (14 ppg, 4 rpg for Iowa St), Cam Martin (25 ppg for Missouri Southern, DII),

Texas - Marcus Carr (19 ppg, 5 apg for Minnesota), Devin Askew (7 ppg for Kentucky), Timmy Allen (17 ppg for Utah), Dylan Disu (15 ppg for Vanderbilt), Tre Mitchell (19 ppg for U. Mass), Christian Bishop (11 ppg for Creighton)

Texas Tech - Davion Warren (21 ppg for Hampton), Bryson Williams (15 ppg for UTEP), Sardaar Calhoun (6 ppg for Florida St), Kevin Obanor (19 ppg for Oral Roberts), Adonis Arms (11 ppg for Winthrop), Daniel Batcho (redshirted for Arizona)

Oregon - De’Vion Harmon (13 ppg for Oklahoma), Jacob Young (14 ppg for Rutgers), Quincy Guerrier (14 ppg for Syracuse)

Where are you looking?
    I'm not budwom but I believe he is referencing the 247 Sports rankings that were just updated today

I'm not budwom but I believe he is referencing the 247 Sports rankings that were just updated today
    That makes a ton more sense. Did Rivals update their rankings recently?

Completely agree. I look forward to Coach Scheyer trying things that Coach K was reluctant to do, foremost of which is taking more advantage of transfers. Feels like we have a NIL advantage that should help draw top transfers AND top HS recruits alike (not to mention, well, we're Duke).