Page 27 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Did anyone think Scheyer's recruiting would go this well, this fast? It is pretty remarkable. I mean, Duke has arguably the best class in the country right now and these kids are committing to a guy who has never been a head coach for a single second of college basketball yet (unless you count the Coach K Covid games).

Amazing... gives me full confidence in K and White picking this dude to be NEXT.
    Solid early assessment of Coach Scheyer. He’s already convincing elite recruits to believe in what he and Duke have to offer even beyond the Coach K era…..with more likely to follow.

And we all know that having the players is the most important element in winning at the highest level. Coach Scheyer is off and running, and I’m excited to see where he takes this program.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    FWIW, the Twitter team sent out this mysterious tweet AFTER the very clear “another one” commitment tweet. More news incoming? Or just some good fun?
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    FWIW, the Twitter team sent out this mysterious tweet AFTER the very clear “another one” commitment tweet. More news incoming? Or just some good fun?
    Gone now.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Gone now.
    ? I still see it…

FWIW: A7DF304D-7E4F-4A6B-9505-47CC45720AA4.jpg
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

It won't load for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    It won't load for me.
    Weird!

Weird!
    It initially wasn't loading for me either but now it is. Agreed that I have no idea what any of that means.

I read it as "don't sleep on the Devils, crystal ball. Cool"

And I think we all know what that means!

[Ron Howard voice] "He had no idea what it meant." [/Ron Howard voice]

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Did anyone think Scheyer's recruiting would go this well, this fast? It is pretty remarkable. I mean, Duke has arguably the best class in the country right now and these kids are committing to a guy who has never been a head coach for a single second of college basketball yet (unless you count the Coach K Covid games).

Amazing... gives me full confidence in K and White picking this dude to be NEXT.
    Somewhere, Jumbo is laughing and saying, I told you not to knock Jon Scheyer.
    Way to go Coach Scheyer and keep them coming.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    It initially wasn't loading for me either but now it is. Agreed that I have no idea what any of that means.
    I've given up trying to interpret tweets...pointless exercise

In regards to that 4 character tweet - some Twitter sleuthing has given me the below interpretation...

On Filipowski's official visit, the Duke's account tweeted out a 10-character tweet of trophies (Filipowski's last name is 10 characters).

Last night they tweeted out something with 4 characters (Mark, possibly as in Mark Mitchell). It would somewhat make sense given Adam Rowe made a prediction over the weekend on crystal ball for Duke/Mark Mitchell.

Yes, off to a great start. It's clear that Duke Basketball will continue to go for the best players who are a good fit -- plenty of guys ranked in the top 20 or better, which of course often leads to one-and-done.

My .02 on an area that Coach Scheyer can improve for Duke -- understanding and using the Transfer Portal. So far, we have been losing more talent to transfer than we have been gaining. I don't think Coach K liked the transfer merry-go-round (with good reason) but it has become an important part of building a championship team, with Baylor being a good example.

So, continued success, Coach Scheyer! And I hope you can utilize the Transfer Portal to make important additions as time goes by.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Yes, off to a great start. It's clear that Duke Basketball will continue to go for the best players who are a good fit -- plenty of guys ranked in the top 20 or better, which of course often leads to one-and-done.

My .02 on an area that Coach Scheyer can improve for Duke -- understanding and using the Transfer Portal. So far, we have been losing more talent to transfer than we have been gaining. I don't think Coach K liked the transfer merry-go-round (with good reason) but it has become an important part of building a championship team, with Baylor being a good example.

So, continued success, Coach Scheyer! And I hope you can utilize the Transfer Portal to make important additions as time goes by.
    I wouldn't expect the transfer portal to become the primary part of Duke's roster construction for the foreseeable future. It goes against the branding and strategy Duke has developed over the years.

For better or for worse, Duke is content to build its roster by developing relationships over years with a select group of recruits. There are only 7 players that have received an offer from Duke in the Class of 2022. Compare that to Kentucky and UCLA, who have each extended 12 offers so far, UNC has extended 17 offers, and Kansas has extended 55 offers (!). Duke is very selective and makes it known that receiving an offer means something. While nothing is promised, players expect that getting a Duke offer means they will have a spot. It doesn't mean they will start, but the coaching staff can tell them with a straight face that they can expect to play this or that role on the team.

Grad transfers, you only have a few weeks or months giving those players a pitch. There's also a lot of unknowns about it. Who will be in the transfer portal next year? Everyone knows who will be in the high school recruiting class (the G-League and OTE have made that a little cloudy, but you can see which players Duke is targeting and those are the ones that aren't going to go pro for the most part). Relying on the transfer portal is a gamble. It also sullies the brand.

Most of the guys in the portal, they won't play professionally. The Davion Mitchells of the world are extremely rare. Most transfers couldn't go pro, so they moved to another program to get exposure or a chance at a bigger role. In the end, they are college players with very limited pro prospects. If your roster is full of Chaundee Brown types - very college good players, but not ones that have a great shot at becoming an NBA star or even a reserve - then the pitch to high school recruits isn't as strong. Right now, Duke has a really solid brand. If you are being recruited to Duke, you could be the next Kyrie, the next Jason Tatum, the next Zion. That pitch is a lot harder to make if Theo John-types make up 30 or 50% of the roster. The primary targets for Duke in the recruiting class, those kids all want to think they are going to be future NBA all-stars. Many of them have a decent shot at least getting drafted. Using the transfer portal to plug a hole is all fine and good, but if that's half your approach, your brand is different. People feel like recruiting one-and-dones is a transactional experience as a fan. The transfer portal is even moreso. The coaching staff doesn't spend years wooing a player from Marquette. The opportunity presents itself only after the player is in the portal.

Anyway, that's just my two cents on the matter. I think we will see 1-2 transfers come in every year. I wouldn't hold my breathe for anymore than that.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Anyway, that's just my two cents on the matter. I think we will see 1-2 transfers come in every year. I wouldn't hold my breathe for anymore than that.
    I largely agree. My only caveat is that if roster circumstances warrant it, I am sure Duke would be willing to take on more transfers. If, for example, we do not get any more recruits in this cycle and we have a really thin roster for 2021-22, I am sure the coaching staff will be more active in the transfer portal next summer.

But, your larger point -- that Duke will look first to high school recruiting versus transfers to fill out the roster -- is one with which I agree.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I largely agree. My only caveat is that if roster circumstances warrant it, I am sure Duke would be willing to take on more transfers. If, for example, we do not get any more recruits in this cycle and we have a really thin roster for 2021-22, I am sure the coaching staff will be more active in the transfer portal next summer.

But, your larger point -- that Duke will look first to high school recruiting versus transfers to fill out the roster -- is one with which I agree.
    My last comment on this, as we won't really see developments in the Transfer Portal until the end of 21-22 Season.

Yes, we will and should continues to get the best high school recruits we can. but we should be aware of the changing environment (and Coach Scheyer is IMO the right guy to understand this), for example the Duke 2020 recruit class, where Jalen Johnson did not play a full year and Steward, Brakefield and Coleman left Duke for what they saw as greener pastures. We lost players whom we considered long-term parts of the roster.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    My last comment on this, as we won't really see developments in the Transfer Portal until the end of 21-22 Season.

Yes, we will and should continues to get the best high school recruits we can. but we should be aware of the changing environment (and Coach Scheyer is IMO the right guy to understand this), for example the Duke 2020 recruit class, where Jalen Johnson did not play a full year and Steward, Brakefield and Coleman left Duke for what they saw as greener pastures. We lost players whom we considered long-term parts of the roster.
    It wouldn't surprise me if with NIL we see transfers lessen. Kids will be walking away from money, not just leaving in search of playing time. Of course they can benefit monetarily on their new team, too, but I bet it will give reason for pause before leaping.

Of course it's easier to assume that for an elite team like Duke. Other schools may see an increase as their players jump in hopes of landing on a team with more $ opportunities. Next off season will be very interesting to see how it all works out.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Somewhere, Jumbo is laughing and saying, I told you not to knock Jon Scheyer.
    Several comments:

1. Jumbo wasn’t the only one strongly advocating “retire Scheyer’s jersey.” I had a lengthy debate with CDu, from which I benefitted significantly, even while “losing.” One or 2 other posters also strongly supported “retire Scheyer.” Jumbo may have been our “retire Scheyer” caucus’s most “irascible” voice, to remind us of his self-description. (Part of it, anyhow. He wasn’t always “cuddly” when Scheyer-izing. Still, all in good fun, and taken as such, IIRC.]

2. Although those arguing against retiring Scheyer’s jersey “won” that debate, I don’t recall any of them actually knocking Scheyer’s talent and great value to the team. They argued that the standards were incredibly high, and Scheyer, as with so many other Duke greats, fell just short.

3. But more important, I want to note a comment JDK makes on today’s home page about Scheyer, who “shows a keen strategic mind and an ability to plan ahead for multiple possibilities.” Imo, as a player Scheyer overcame his apparent limitations as a super-athlete with intuitive intelligence that was evident in his “anticipation athleticism”: steals, blocks from behind, that (2009 NCAAT game v. Texas) leaping-out-of-bounds-behind-the-back pass that went exactly in the direction he intended, his many weird backboard spin buckets. (One such basket Scheyer shot going full speed, spun it in from an impossible below-the-rim angle. If I had access to film of every Duke conference game his senior year, I’d watch ‘em, to find that shot.)

I assume K, an intuitive fellow, values highly Scheyer’s strategic intuition. K saw it in Scheyer’s play and has seen it in Scheyer’s recruiting and coaching. Scheyer’s bball mind isn’t unique, but it probably is pretty unusual.

Jason and DavidBenakiva:

I was impressed -- as in "Whoa!" -- by off-the-cuff remarks by some D-I coaches who say they will forego HS recruiting and go after transfers from lower-echelon schools. In this model, college recruiting turns into "junior-college" recruiting. And if it's widespread, HS players would then go to J.C.'s, D-II and D-III schools, and mid-majors as stepping stones to D-I.

While it may not affect Duke as much, it is a drastic change in college hoops -- and it is happening because of the ability of players to transfer once without sitting out a year.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if with NIL we see transfers lessen. Kids will be walking away from money, not just leaving in search of playing time. Of course they can benefit monetarily on their new team, too, but I bet it will give reason for pause before leaping.

Of course it's easier to assume that for an elite team like Duke. Other schools may see an increase as their players jump in hopes of landing on a team with more $ opportunities. Next off season will be very interesting to see how it all works out.
    So why wouldn't some NIL contracts be "transferable"....I am not portending the future but for example, why couldn't Wendell Moore say..."even though I am going pro...when I am in Durham I still eat at Bojangles!!"

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

Wait… should we hope that our Duke guys squeeze out every available penny from NIL they possibly can so that it lessens the likelihood of transfer?

I’m more confused than ever.