Page 5 of 82 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Any updates on this class? It’s a strange recruiting year for sure. Scanning through the 247 top 50, only PG Bryce Griggs at #23 and C Dereck Lively at #39 even have Duke listed at this point.

I think we'll start seeing movement on the Class of 2022 once the Class of 2021 is wrapped up. Duke has offers out to Patrick Baldwin and Trevor Keels for the Class of '21. Baldwin won't stay beyond a year, but Keels could. Should Duke miss on Keels, there is the potential of pivoting to another uncommitted guard, like TyTy Washington. If not, then a transfer could be in the cards. There will be many, many transfers on the market this summer and the NCAA has indicated they will pass a one-time transfer exception. Furthermore, the ACC has announced it will not block players from transferring within the conference. Prepare for a lot of player movement.

All things being equal, I think Duke will be quiet on the transfer market. They may bring in a grad transfer, like Patrick Tapé, to provide insurance in case Mark Williams or Paolo Banchero suffer an injury. Either way, that shouldn't affect the Class of 2022.

If we are talking about needs, I see Duke having the following players in the mix for roster spots in 2022-23

SR: Joey Baker (granted an exception for a 5th year by NCAA due to COVID), Wendell Moore
    JR: Jaemyn Brakefield, Henry Coleman, Jeremy Roach, Mark Williams
    SO: Trevor Keels/Another SG
    FR: TBD

I'm penciling in these players. Baker could decide to graduate or transfer if he wants to start. Mark Williams really impressed late in the season this year, so a sophomore blow-up is possible. Still, his family really values education and he's quite young. Getting physically ready for the NBA with his height and frame is going to take time. He could see value growing into an All-American candidate as a junior and earn a degree within 3 years. I'd say it's a 50/50 bet at this point he sticks around 3 years. Brakefield and Coleman seem like 3-4 year players to me, which is great. I think both can contribute and could play off each other nicely as a small-ball frontcourt of bigger wing options. Imagine a starting lineup with Coleman and Williams as juniors. The rebounding and shot blocking of that duo would be awesome. I see Jeremy Roach as a 3-4 year point guard, too. His shot improved late in the year, but he needs to develop the point guard instincts. He has the talent to become a really good player in my mind. Next year's team is going to have a number of scoring options. I could see Roach being one of the best point guards in the college game as a junior or senior. Keels, should he commit, I don't know if he will start ahead of DJ Steward next year. I think DJ is going to be battling Paolo for the scoring lead on the team. Keels is a bigger guard and Steward could slide to PG for times, but I don't think he'll have the path to play enough on the roster as a freshman to get a good look from NBA scouts. From what I've seen, he's a great all-around player without that one outstanding skillset. That speaks multi-year player to me. I would love to see a sophomore Keels with this roster around him. He and Roach could form one of the best backcourts in the country. I haven't even talked about Moore. I am still on the long-term Moore bandwagon and see him becoming a great glue guy or more, a player that scores 15+ points, shoots 35-38% from 3, defends multiple positions, etc.

If that all comes to pass, there won't be many starting spots for the Class of 2022. Duke will need to identify a couple of players that will be cool playing behind this experienced roster for a year or two. There will be players like that, in the top 25-50 range, that would love a Duke offer. I see PG and C as needs with a couple of wings and forwards mixed in to develop into rotation players as sophomores and beyond. We should start to see names emerge later this spring and summer as the AAU circuit returns. Until then, the Class of 2022 should be quiet.

I'll be surprised if six of our players from this year's roster are all still here 2 years from now. Whether it be early entry or transfer, I think we'll see at least one if not 2 or 3 of those guys gone.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Baker could decide to graduate or transfer if he wants to start.
    I'm not sure that Baker gets the extra year of eligibility if he transfers. Also, it's way too early to say anything is 50/50 a year from now. That said, I agree with you that until it's obvious what each of the players currently on the roster plan to do in 2022-23 (which won't be for awhile), it might be hard for the staff to make a detailed recruiting plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I'm not sure that Baker gets the extra year of eligibility if he transfers. Also, it's way too early to say anything is 50/50 a year from now. That said, I agree with you that until it's obvious what each of the players currently on the roster plan to do in 2022-23 (which won't be for awhile), it might be hard for the staff to make a detailed recruiting plan.
    Eh, they will have a a recruiting plan well in advance of knowing what each of the current players will plan to do in 2022-23. They might have to tweak said plan by next Spring, but they'll very likely have a very detailed recruiting plan for the 2022 recruiting class by the time this summer rolls around.

I'd like to see us get involved with Kyle Filipowski. He's currently ranked #92 in the class, but I'd suspect a big jump coming. I live in the Northeast and have seen the big man play a bunch, he'd be a great fit for us. He also plays for the NY Rens (Andy Borman's program).

https://247sports.com/college/basket...day-163985605/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a1tMlTNOGs

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    I'd like to see us get involved with Kyle Filipowski. He's currently ranked #92 in the class, but I'd suspect a big jump coming. I live in the Northeast and have seen the big man play a bunch, he'd be a great fit for us. He also plays for the NY Rens (Andy Borman's program).

https://247sports.com/college/basket...day-163985605/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a1tMlTNOGs
    For what it's worth, Filipowski said that Duke was involved with him as recently as mid-January.

https://www.tiptonedits.com/post/q-a...yle-filipowski

There are a few guys, including Filipowski, MJ Rice, and Isaac Traudt, that I hope Duke targets for the Class of 2022. The recruiting dead period will end June 1st. We should see a lot more activity for that class by then, assuming the Class of 2021 will be wrapped up.

For what it's worth, Filipowski said that Duke was involved with him as recently as mid-January.

https://www.tiptonedits.com/post/q-a...yle-filipowski

There are a few guys, including Filipowski, MJ Rice, and Isaac Traudt, that I hope Duke targets for the Class of 2022. The recruiting dead period will end June 1st. We should see a lot more activity for that class by then, assuming the Class of 2021 will be wrapped up.
    That is great to hear. Time to ramp it up!

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    In a move that was likely inevitable, Emoni Bates has officially decommitted from MSU. Seems like a foregone conclusion that he’ll be going straight into the pros, either via the G-League or the NBA if the one and done rule is eliminated.

I’m enjoying a bit of schadenfreude at MSU fans seeing their hopes dashed
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

He's a big enough prospect that he will have shoe companies bidding for him whether he goes to the G-League or directly to the NBA. Don't blame him one bit for taking life-changing money over going to college for a year.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    He's a big enough prospect that he will have shoe companies bidding for him whether he goes to the G-League or directly to the NBA. Don't blame him one bit for taking life-changing money over going to college for a year.
    Especially Michigan State!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    In a move that was likely inevitable, Emoni Bates has officially decommitted from MSU.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    He's a big enough prospect that he will have shoe companies bidding for him whether he goes to the G-League or directly to the NBA.
    Why settle for shoe companies? There's one company that Emoni Bates was born to endorse:

ebates.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    In a move that was likely inevitable, Emoni Bates has officially decommitted from MSU. Seems like a foregone conclusion that he’ll be going straight into the pros, either via the G-League or the NBA if the one and done rule is eliminated.

I’m enjoying a bit of schadenfreude at MSU fans seeing their hopes dashed
    I agree with your assumption that he is going to bypass college but he didn’t rule out the possibility in his statement:

"I would like to thank Tom Izzo and the coaching staff at Michigan State but I have decided to reopen my recruitment," Bates wrote on Instagram. "I'm not sure what my future holds but I am keeping all of my options open, both college and pro."

Quote Originally Posted by DangerDevil View Post
    I agree with your assumption that he is going to bypass college but he didn’t rule out the possibility in his statement:

"I would like to thank Tom Izzo and the coaching staff at Michigan State but I have decided to reopen my recruitment," Bates wrote on Instagram. "I'm not sure what my future holds but I am keeping all of my options open, both college and pro."
    Just because he says it, don't mean it is true.

Emoni Bates won't play college ball... unless there is a funky rules change that allows him to make beaucoup bucks while still in college. Not likely, but not impossible.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    None and Done (Which I approve of. No sense in partaking in a farce.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    None and Done
    Post of the day!! Definitely stealing that one...

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    None and Done (Which I approve of. No sense in partaking in a farce.)
    My counterpoint to this is that college basketball as a whole is better off when the most talented players are in college, even for a year. I want to see Emoni Bates in college. As it turns out, Texas offered him as soon as he decommitted from MSU. Jeff Goodman tweeted there was mutual interest.

Given everything going on around him, his dad creating a high school team just for him, and so on, the most likely outcome is that Bates is not going to play a game of college ball. College isn't for everyone. Darius Bazely looks like a good pro and he spent a year training for the NBA Draft with New Balance. The G-League kids, Jalen Green and Jonathan Kuminga, are going to be in the NBA next season. We'll see what happens with Isaiah Todd. At any rate, it's good that there are options for them. Players should have options. Their careers are short, after all. But I want the most talented players to be in the college game if that's what they choose.

That being said, look out for Overtime League on this one. They have deep pockets and need a big win to get their league some attention. I wonder if their exit strategy is to be bought out by the NBA as the ABA to the NBA's G-League...

Every now and then, I check out social media accounts. I noticed the official Duke twitter account is now following Mark Mitchell, a 5-star recruit from Kansas and consensus Top 25 player in the Class of 2022. It turns out Mitchell's most recent follow is... Duke's official twitter account. There appears to be mutual interest here.

Mitchell is an uber-athletic lefty forward with long arms that projects as a SF in the NBA but could potentially play either forward position in college. Heck, maybe he could play PF in the NBA given how the league is going. What are positions, anyway? Anyway, Duke will have a huge need for wings and forwards in the Class of 2022, and Mitchell is one of the best. The interest appears to be mutual. When official visits and offers are made, this is one to watch.

My counterpoint to this is that college basketball as a whole is better off when the most talented players are in college, even for a year. I want to see Emoni Bates in college. As it turns out, Texas offered him as soon as he decommitted from MSU. Jeff Goodman tweeted there was mutual interest.

Given everything going on around him, his dad creating a high school team just for him, and so on, the most likely outcome is that Bates is not going to play a game of college ball. College isn't for everyone. Darius Bazely looks like a good pro and he spent a year training for the NBA Draft with New Balance. The G-League kids, Jalen Green and Jonathan Kuminga, are going to be in the NBA next season. We'll see what happens with Isaiah Todd. At any rate, it's good that there are options for them. Players should have options. Their careers are short, after all. But I want the most talented players to be in the college game if that's what they choose.

That being said, look out for Overtime League on this one. They have deep pockets and need a big win to get their league some attention. I wonder if their exit strategy is to be bought out by the NBA as the ABA to the NBA's G-League...
    As much fun as it is watching a Zion or Tyus Jones for a year, I wish the NBA abolishes the one and done rule. I would vastly prefer team continuity year after year. With the one and done lure taking so many freshman now, and the transfer rules loosening, it seems there is just chaos in college hoops. Let pros be pros. Give me a roster of Melchionis, Quinn Cooks and Joey Bakers.

Kyle Filipowski had another big weekend at the KYDA Invitational. Link below has a few highlights. 6'10 forward - would love us to pick up the interest here given the lack of bigs we're projected to have in 2022.

https://twitter.com/endless_motor/st...586281991?s=20