Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 68
  1. #1

    2022 Men's Basketball Recruiting

    We have a 2023 recruiting thread, but none for the Class of 2022. Let's get it started!

    Noah Batchelor is a 6'6" shooting guard out of Hagerstown, Maryland that has generated high major interest early. Clemson among others have extended an offer. He would love to hear from his favorite school, Duke University. One to keep an eye on?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Good find

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    We have a 2023 recruiting thread, but none for the Class of 2022. Let's get it started!

    Noah Batchelor is a 6'6" shooting guard out of Hagerstown, Maryland that has generated high major interest early. Clemson among others have extended an offer. He would love to hear from his favorite school, Duke University. One to keep an eye on?
    He's not currently considered a top 100 recruit but has reportedly had a good summer and is generating interest from significant programs. He likely need to continue that path of improvement relative to his class to get into the conversation for Duke, but the trajectory is not bad.

    While I am sure Duke is aware of the top kids in the 2022 class, I suspect K and his top recruiting assistant, Scheyer, have not focused on it enough to even begin to know who might get an offer from them (and we are probably at least a year from the first 2022 offers going out).

    -Jason "Bronny in 2023 is an unique case for obvious reasons" Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  4. #4
    According to an Instagram story on Tipton Edits, Duke has offered Emoni Bates. Many consider Bates, a rising sophomore, to be the most talented player in high school. They might have even said the same thing last year.

    If you have not heard of him, Bates is a 6'8" rail-thin player from Ypsilanti, MI (just outside of Detroit) and is drawing many comparison to Kevin Durant as a tall and lanky wing that can score at all three levels with incredible skills to compliment his shooting. Many have assumed that the young man is going to be the next high school player to go straight to the NBA as the #1 pick. There was an article over the summer quoting the kid's father about how he wished teams would recruit his son. It seems that many coaches have stayed away from even watching Bates on the AAU circuit under the assumption that he won't set foot on a college campus. He had hardly received any offers. Tom Izzo and MSU did extend an offer earlier this summer and now it seems that Coach K and Duke have followed suit.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    According to an Instagram story on Tipton Edits, Duke has offered Emoni Bates. Many consider Bates, a rising sophomore, to be the most talented player in high school. They might have even said the same thing last year.

    If you have not heard of him, Bates is a 6'8" rail-thin player from Ypsilanti, MI (just outside of Detroit) and is drawing many comparison to Kevin Durant as a tall and lanky wing that can score at all three levels with incredible skills to compliment his shooting. Many have assumed that the young man is going to be the next high school player to go straight to the NBA as the #1 pick. There was an article over the summer quoting the kid's father about how he wished teams would recruit his son. It seems that many coaches have stayed away from even watching Bates on the AAU circuit under the assumption that he won't set foot on a college campus. He had hardly received any offers. Tom Izzo and MSU did extend an offer earlier this summer and now it seems that Coach K and Duke have followed suit.
    Thanks for this update, Iíll have to to Bleacher Report and read up. Is the Coach K offer a sign that the NBA will not revise their Draft policy as early as most predicted?

  6. #6
    Bates is a rising sophomore and I believe Duke wants to have an opportunity to get to know him and his family. Is it possible that Bates may move up a class ?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Is the Coach K offer a sign that the NBA will not revise their Draft policy as early as most predicted?
    Seeing as no one, not even Adam Silver or Michele Roberts, knows for certain what is going to happen with OAD in 2022 (and beyond), I think this is a sign Coach K is preparing for the class of 2022 the same way he prepares for every class... looking for the best talent that fits with the Duke culture. If the top 15-20 kids in the class are not interested in going to school, then K will look at the next 20 or so. He is wisely not limiting himself in any way at this time.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  8. #8

    Jaden Bradley Takes in the Duke-UNC Game

    One of the top players from the Class of 2022 was in Chapel Hill on Saturday night and got quite the experience. Jaden Bradley, a PG from Concord, NC, was a guest of UNC for the big game. He wrote about his experience for Sports Illustrated (link).

    Bradley is from the same city as Duke's own Wendell Moore, Jr. and got to see the crowd leave in stunned silence as his own hometown kid hit the game winning shot. Now wouldn't it be nice to have young Mr. Bradley see what it is like to watch a game in Durham?

  9. #9

    MJ Rice Visit Twice as Nice?

    Durham Academy F MJ Rice (6'5") is a top 25 player in the Class of 2022 and will be making a return trip to Cameron Indoor Stadium this evening to take in the Duke vs UNC matchup. According to his Instagram account, Rice also visited Cameron on Monday evening to watch the Blue Devils defeat the NC State Wolfpack.

    Here's a video from earlier in the year of Rice (#2), in a game where he scored 28 & 11 in the first half. 247 Sports has him listed as a SF for now.


  10. #10

    One to Watch?

    Top 25 recruit Keyonte George, a 6'5" guard out of Lewisville, Texas told Tipton Edits, the twitter account that photoshops many recruits in college jerseys, that Duke is his dream school. Corey Evans had high praise for the young man this past November:

    Keyonte George is one impressive prospect. One of the better quarters of ball Iíve seen from a guard all year long. Canít think of five better guards in the 2022 class. Tremendous progression rate

  11. #11

    Canadian Connection?

    Caleb Houstan is a top 5 prospect in the Class of 2022. The 6'8" forward has range on his jumper, high level athleticism, and all the other attributes one looks for in a forward prospect. Like RJ Barrett before him, Houstan attends Florida's Montverde Academy. He has garnered a considerable amount of interest from high major programs. According to Corey Evans of Rivals, Duke has recently joined a who's who of programs to reach out to the young man. An offer may be on the way soon.


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Like RJ Barrett before him, Houstan attends Florida's Montverde Academy.
    Monteverde is up there with IMG and Sierra Canyon as the top programs in the country right now. Monteverde has produced RJ Barrett, Christ Koumadje of FSU, Filip Petrusev of Gonzaga and a host of other players. Oh, they also produced Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Monteverde is up there with IMG and Sierra Canyon as the top programs in the country right now. Monteverde has produced RJ Barrett, Christ Koumadje of FSU, Filip Petrusev of Gonzaga and a host of other players. Oh, they also produced Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid.
    The team Montverde had this past season was absolutely stacked. Cade Cunningham at the PG and Scottie Barnes playing forward. Those two are most likely lottery picks next June. UNC's Day'Ron Sharpe, another 5-star recruit, Zeb Jacskon, a 4-star Michigan commit, Moses Moody, a 4-star Arkansas commit were also there. Montverde puts out more NBA lottery picks than most colleges these days.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Monteverde is up there with IMG and Sierra Canyon as the top programs in the country right now. Monteverde has produced RJ Barrett, Christ Koumadje of FSU, Filip Petrusev of Gonzaga and a host of other players. Oh, they also produced Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid.
    And their coach is Kevin Boyle, whose prior coaching position was St. Patrick's High School where he coached a promising young PG named Kyrie Irving.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    And their coach is Kevin Boyle, whose prior coaching position was St. Patrick's High School where he coached a promising young PG named Kyrie Irving.
    Coach Boyle's description on the Montverde Academy page includes a Coach K quote and needs an update (added by me in bold):

    "Only H.S. or college coach to have a No.1 pick (Ben Simmons & Kyrie Irving), No.2 pick (DíAngelo Russell & Michael Kidd Gilchrist), and No.3 pick (Joel Embiid & RJ Barrett) in the NBA Draft"

  16. #16

    Am I missing something?

    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Coach Boyle's description on the Montverde Academy page includes a Coach K quote and needs an update (added by me in bold):

    "Only H.S. or college coach to have a No.1 pick (Ben Simmons & Kyrie Irving), No.2 pick (D’Angelo Russell & Michael Kidd Gilchrist), and No.3 pick (Joel Embiid & RJ Barrett) in the NBA Draft"
    How can this be true when Coach K has had multiple players drafted as the No. 1 pick (Elton Brand, Kyrie Irving, Zion Williamson), No 2. Pick (Danny Ferry, Jay Williams, Brandon Ingram, Marvin Bagley), and No 3 pick (Grant Hill, Mike Dunleavy Jr, Jahlil Okafor, Jayson Tatum, RJ Barrett) as well as multiple players at other lottery pick positions?

    I'm not trying to take anything away from Coach Boyle. I think he is a very good coach; just not the "only" H.S. or college coach to have multiple drafted in the top 3 of the NBA draft. I think Montverde needs to correct that statement imo.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    How can this be true when Coach K has had multiple players drafted as the No. 1 pick (Elton Brand, Kyrie Irving, Zion Williamson), No 2. Pick (Danny Ferry, Jay Williams, Brandon Ingram, Marvin Bagley), and No 3 pick (Grant Hill, Mike Dunleavy Jr, Jahlil Okafor, Jayson Tatum, RJ Barrett) as well as multiple players at other lottery pick positions?

    I'm not trying to take anything away from Coach Boyle. I think he is a very good coach; just not the "only" H.S. or college coach to have multiple drafted in the top 3 of the NBA draft. I think Montverde needs to correct that statement imo.
    By the by, what a wonderful collection of players they are, those first, second and third picks. It has been great following these teams.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    By the by, what a wonderful collection of players they are, those first, second and third picks. It has been great following these teams.
    I can't believe I forgot to mention Christian Laettner, arguable the most accomplished Duke and ACC player of all time, was the No. 3 pick of the 1992 draft. We have been blessed to see some truly great and unique players wear the Duke uniform and play for K.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    How can this be true when Coach K has had multiple players drafted as the No. 1 pick (Elton Brand, Kyrie Irving, Zion Williamson), No 2. Pick (Danny Ferry, Jay Williams, Brandon Ingram, Marvin Bagley), and No 3 pick (Grant Hill, Mike Dunleavy Jr, Jahlil Okafor, Jayson Tatum, RJ Barrett) as well as multiple players at other lottery pick positions?

    I'm not trying to take anything away from Coach Boyle. I think he is a very good coach; just not the "only" H.S. or college coach to have multiple drafted in the top 3 of the NBA draft. I think Montverde needs to correct that statement imo.
    The only way this statement would make sense is that it is outdated. Boyle was hired in 2012. If you started from that point in time, Boyle was the only coach that had the numbers 1, 2, and 3 picks in the NBA draft until Zion was drafted #1 overall in 2019. From 2012 on, Coach K has had 1 Number 1 (Zion), 3 Number 2 (Jabari, Ingram, Bagley), and 3 Number 3 (Jahlil, Jayson, and RJ) draft picks.

    Over that same time frame, Calipari at Kentucky has had 1 Number 1 (Anthony Davis), 1 Number 2 (Michael Kidd-Gilchrist), and 0 Number 3 draft picks.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    The only way this statement would make sense is that it is outdated. Boyle was hired in 2012. If you started from that point in time, Boyle was the only coach that had the numbers 1, 2, and 3 picks in the NBA draft until Zion was drafted #1 overall in 2019. From 2012 on, Coach K has had 1 Number 1 (Zion), 3 Number 2 (Jabari, Ingram, Bagley), and 3 Number 3 (Jahlil, Jayson, and RJ) draft picks.

    Over that same time frame, Calipari at Kentucky has had 1 Number 1 (Anthony Davis), 1 Number 2 (Michael Kidd-Gilchrist), and 0 Number 3 draft picks.
    Karl Anthony Towns.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

    President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Similar Threads

  1. 2023 Men's Basketball Recruiting
    By DavidBenAkiva in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-08-2020, 09:24 PM
  2. US Soccer/2019 Gold Cup/Road to Qatar 2022
    By Acymetric in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-08-2019, 11:37 AM
  3. 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting
    By BD80 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 4070
    Last Post: 07-08-2019, 08:43 AM
  4. Women's Basketball Recruiting
    By NYC Duke Fan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-06-2008, 10:17 AM
  5. Women's Basketball Recruiting
    By NYC Duke Fan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2007, 01:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •