Page 15 of 82 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
    Haven’t looked at the game since 2004. Checking YouTube however, it looks like JJ lost control of the ball even before the block/charge moment, after which Horvath commits his 5th foul. And there’s only one replay angle of it which doesn’t show how he lost the ball. You can set the playback at 1/4 speed, although it makes the audio sound demonic. This provides some closure for me about the ending. I don’t really wanna check the low post fouls in the game however. I had even forgotten that Duke was up for most of the game until the last minute, uuughh.

Jason Jordan of Sports Illustrated posted a blog update with Dariq Whitehead. He recounts the trip to Durham, his recent official visit with Florida State, and notes that he will visit Kansas this weekend. I get the sense that he kind of knows where he wants to go and will make a decision late July-ish.

That’ll be it for visits for me. I feel like that’ll be enough, but, then again, something could pop up. I’m remaining open. As far as a commitment, I’m not planning to do anything until after the live period in July. I’m keeping my options open throughout and I may look to decide after that. I’m not 100 percent sure, but that’s what I’m thinking right now. The visits are great, but they also make the decision tougher.
    https://www.si.com/college/recruitin...ecruiting-2022

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Jason Jordan of Sports Illustrated posted a blog update with Dariq Whitehead. He recounts the trip to Durham, his recent official visit with Florida State, and notes that he will visit Kansas this weekend. I get the sense that he kind of knows where he wants to go and will make a decision late July-ish.

https://www.si.com/college/recruitin...ecruiting-2022
    In agreement here. He feels like the first of our 2022 offers to commit. I feel we're in good shape with Filipowski as well (even though we haven't offficially offered).

Proud of all As and one B. That’s a good sign. Really important to land that first big recruit as a signal that the best talent still wants to come to Durham.

I don't think we are going to see much of a change in the approach to recruiting. Right now, it appears the coaching staff has settled on a core group of players and extended offers to them. If they get those guys, I wouldn't expect many more offers to come.

Offers:
    6'7" G/F Antony Black
    7'1" C Dereck Lively
    6'8" F Mark Mitchell
    6'2" G JJ Starling
    6'6" G/F Dariq Whitehead

Visitors:
    6'10" F Kyle Filipowski

I expect Filipowski will receive a scholarship offer when he visits next weekend or shortly before.

From what I've read, Duke appears to be in good shape with most or all of these recruits. It's not a done deal, but these are the primary targets right now.
    What would be the strategy? Sign as many as we can off this list and pick up anyone else needed to fill the lineup off the transfer portal?

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    What would be the strategy? Sign as many as we can off this list and pick up anyone else needed to fill the lineup off the transfer portal?
    That sounds right. There's a real chance we'll need to pick up 8 or 9 guys (just to have enough scholarship players to scrimmage).

If any of the players who have received Duke offers select other schools or go to the G-League there is plenty of time to make additional offers later in the cycle. Grad transfers would be after all of that is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    If any of the players who have received Duke offers select other schools or go to the G-League there is plenty of time to make additional offers later in the cycle. Grad transfers would be after all of that is complete.
    Doesn’t have to be grad transfers. “Regular” transfers are probably more desirable, now that they’re immediately eligible.

It seems to me this is what K usually has done: prioritize a handful of guys, then fill in with more offers if needed...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    It seems to me this is what K usually has done: prioritize a handful of guys, then fill in with more offers if needed...
    Wouldn’t you think every coach pretty much does the same thing ?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Wouldn’t you think every coach pretty much does the same thing ?
    No, some coaches (at less competitive programs) offer ten or more guys at a time, hope they get some commitments...I think K has mentioned he did that early on, with limited success...then took the "targeting" approach with the Dawkins class.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    No, some coaches (at less competitive programs) offer ten or more guys at a time, hope they get some commitments...I think K has mentioned he did that early on, with limited success...then took the "targeting" approach with the Dawkins class.
    Ol' Roy has said in the past, in effect: I've made scholarships offers to X and Y. The first one to accept gets to come to UNC. Refreshing in a way.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I believe both Kyle Filipowski and Derrick Lively are on campus the next few days...let's go get em! Would love to get Filipowski locked up. Scheyer was in CT this past weekend at the NEPSAC showcase front and center for him.

Pretty much. Looking at this list, you have starting-caliber/one-and-done freshmen in the frontcourt with Lively, Mitchell, and Whitehead and versatile players that might be multi-year guys at the guard spot in Black and Starling. Filipowski is another multi-year player as a F/C, at least based on his recruiting ranking. I look at this list and think the coaching staff expects to have a starting point guard on the roster (Roach, most likely), maybe a starting SG (Keels, maybe), and little else on the wings and in the frontcourt. If they expected Roach to leave after the season, they would have offered Jaden Bradley or Jazian Gortman, two of the best true PG prospects in the class. Likewise, they haven't offered any of the top scoring guards, like Keyonte George.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

Behind enemy lines on Kyle Filipowski

FWIW, Michigan offered Kyle Filipowski this weekend... but as you can see from these forum posts, most seem to think he's destined to end up a Blue Devil. Forum posts obviously aren't the most reliable sources, but I think JD is right on the front page when he says that some of the best recruiting insights come from when other schools' fans/boards are talking positively about another team since they're wont to do so...
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    FWIW, Michigan offered Kyle Filipowski this weekend... but as you can see from these forum posts, most seem to think he's destined to end up a Blue Devil. Forum posts obviously aren't the most reliable sources, but I think JD is right on the front page when he says that some of the best recruiting insights come from when other schools' fans/boards are talking positively about another team since they're wont to do so...
    very good to hear that the Michigan guy feels he's a five star, which would place him in the top twenty or so (247 for example has 20 five star kids this year). This is an important aspect of recruiting we missed (everyone missed) last year, the summer camps in which late bloomers could show what they had, move up the rankings, get more prestigious offers. Wilbraham is not one of the higher profile spots...

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    FWIW, the same Michigan site has some interesting perspective on another shared target, Dereck Lively:

We're at the time of year where actions carry more weight then words when programs have limited time/resources with multiple events going on simultaneously. Juwan Howard made his first stop of last weekend's live evaluation period in New Jersey to see 5-star Dereck Lively. That said, Dereck Lively is a clear priority at the center position.

Lively dropped his final seven on Friday that consists of Michigan along with Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, Penn State, USC and Florida State. Lively hasn't been subtle about Kentucky being a coveted offer and furthered that sentiment with these comments yesterday to Zag's Blog:

“It was a great experience to receive that offer. It was good to finally have that offer so I could release my top 7 and cut down my list.”

Per the same article, Dereck is visiting Duke tomorrow and plans to visit Michigan, USC and Florida State in the fall but I don't necessarily buy it. When a prospect is literally waiting on a single offer to release a final seven, that says a lot. Again, actions>words.

Further, I did my own digging this weekend and word has it that Kentucky feels very strong about their standing in the aftermath of Lively's official visit to Lexington. This one is fading fast, and unless Michigan is able to get Dereck on campus so Juwan Howard can work his magic, the Wolverines are on the outside looking in.
    If you trust this guy (FWIW he seems to be better than average when it comes to non-premium recruiting info), this could mean that Duke could be moving on from Lively and offering Filipowski soon with the expectation that he'd jump at the offer and commit. We'll see.

From the same post on Filipowski:

And much like the discussion of his skillset, I'll keep it brief concerning his recruitment. As mentioned in May, Filipowski plays travel-ball for the nephew of Duke leading man Mike Krzyzewski. Kyle is on campus at Duke for an official visit as we speak and I don't think you need me to tell you how this one is likely to end.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

New Offer Alert: Kyle Filipowski

As expected, Duke has officially offered Kyle "Flip" Filipowski. He is visiting Duke for an official visit this week, along with Mark Mitchell and Dereck Lively II.

https://twitter.com/kylefilipowski/s...06875251871744

I found the choice of this player to be an interesting addition to his twitter announcement about the offer:

I'm pretty confident I know why he chose this particular person.

I'm pretty confident I know why he chose this particular person.
    Andy Borman was Filipowski's EYBL coach.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Andy Borman was Filipowski's EYBL coach.
    Andy Borman is also K's nephew.

I would not be at all surprised if Kyle wants to be the very first commit of the Scheyer era.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?