Page 29 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Whoa, you just threw a monkey wrench into this situation. The plot thickens, indeed.
    48520b5f335a582f1f2b23aad3962af2e34e1c27c20763931391c85114f9a4df.jpg

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    I was looking at this from the athletes perspective. If an athlete could get a multi year contract they would. The perspective you are pointing out is that a local store should be cautious of the multi year NIL deal which is a very valid point.
    A local store would have to be on drugs to sign a multi-year deal. However, I was looking at it through an athlete's eyes. I suspect some will decide they will make more $ staying, even if they play less.
    Of course, there is the other factor, which is long term (NBA) plans. It used to be jumping was for more exposure on the court, which will still weigh on player's decisions. But if the writing is on the wall that the NBA isn't in the future, no matter where you play, then I won't be surprised with less movement.

Like I said, next off season will be telling.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    A local store would have to be on drugs to sign a multi-year deal. However, I was looking at it through an athlete's eyes. I suspect some will decide they will make more $ staying, even if they play less.
    Of course, there is the other factor, which is long term (NBA) plans. It used to be jumping was for more exposure on the court, which will still weigh on player's decisions. But if the writing is on the wall that the NBA isn't in the future, no matter where you play, then I won't be surprised with less movement.

Like I said, next off season will be telling.
    Lots of folks are going to get a real world experience with market economics.....

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Jumbo was a big fan of Jon Scheyer, the player. Especially if anyone hinted he was un-athletic. He was a very good poster and moderator. I miss him along with Newton(another poster and moderator).

GoDuke!
    I will add Billy Breen to that list.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Jumbo was a big fan of Jon Scheyer, the player. Especially if anyone hinted he was un-athletic. He was a very good poster and moderator. I miss him along with Newton(another poster and moderator).

GoDuke!
    +1
    Remember Jumbo well. Really liked his style.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I read it as "don't sleep on the Devils, crystal ball. Cool"

And I think we all know what that means!

[Ron Howard voice] "He had no idea what it meant." [/Ron Howard voice]

Nice Arrested Development reference. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Nice Arrested Development reference. Lol.
    Every AD reference is a good one.

I just blue myself.

Mark Mitchell Trips Again

Highly-rated forward Mark Mitchell was answering questions on Instagram over the weekend. Someone asked about any plans to make a return trip to Durham. His response was that he plans to make another official visit on October 15th to catch the Countdown to Craziness game. Mitchell recently saw a number of crystal ball picks for Duke. Scheduling two visits in less than 6 months seems like another good omen. In both cases, Duke fronts the cost of these trips as the NCAA now allows teams to provide official visits during the junior and senior seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Highly-rated forward Mark Mitchell was answering questions on Instagram over the weekend. Someone asked about any plans to make a return trip to Durham. His response was that he plans to make another official visit on October 15th to catch the Countdown to Craziness game. Mitchell recently saw a number of crystal ball picks for Duke. Scheduling two visits in less than 6 months seems like another good omen. In both cases, Duke fronts the cost of these trips as the NCAA now allows teams to provide official visits during the junior and senior seasons.

Confirmed by the Duke Chronicle’s Twitter account:

.@DukeMBB 2022 target Mark Mitchell announced via Instagram that he will visit campus during Countdown to Craziness and announce his college decision in December.

Duke and UCLA are believed to be Mitchell's frontrunners, according to 247Sports. He visited both during June.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Confirmed by the Duke Chronicle’s Twitter account:

.@DukeMBB 2022 target Mark Mitchell announced via Instagram that he will visit campus during Countdown to Craziness and announce his college decision in December.

Duke and UCLA are believed to be Mitchell's frontrunners, according to 247Sports. He visited both during June.
    Totally anecdotal, but I feel like we do pretty well with guys who declare "early" in the process lately. So it feels promising with Mitchell that he is planning to declare in December. Totally speculative though.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Totally anecdotal, but I feel like we do pretty well with guys who declare "early" in the process lately. So it feels promising with Mitchell that he is planning to declare in December. Totally speculative though.
    Agreed, this feels like a good sign. FWIW, 247 Sports’ Crystal Ball® Predictions has Mitchell to Duke.

Lively Recruiting Update?

A couple of interesting developments this evening in the Dereck Lively III recruitment.

First, Lively posted a video to Instagram. That's not surprising as he does that from time to time. If you pay attention, one and only one college coach appears at the beginning of the video. See if you can spot him.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSpn7onH6XE/

The word on the street (the street being the internet) has been that Lively was looking at UK with Duke and other programs running behind. Lo and behold, the Wildcats extended an offer to the #2 center prospect in the Class of 2022, Adam Bona. Interesting development, that.

Next, a pair of Duke commits, Dariq Whitehead and Kyle Filipowski, were hanging out on Instagram Live with a pair of Cameron Crazies. The Crazies asked the commits who they are recruiting. Well, you'll have to see their answer.

https://twitter.com/UpdateDuke/statu...99819645595652

Very interesting...

Jaden Schutt Visit

Haven't seen this posted in here but looks like Jaden will be on campus on the 27th for a O Visit, according to Adam Rowe

Really think folks will enjoy the latest edition of the podcast. We spoke to Kyle Filipowski's AAU coach, former Duke player Andy Borman, about Kyle's game and how his recruitment went. If you are not already excited about seeing this kid suit up in Duke blue next year, this pod will certainly get you there.

https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/duk...=VMP5014960083

-Jason "and as an added bonus, Andy tells a few amazing stories about his time at Duke... including a ride home from a loss at Clemson that is truly epic!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

There have been a flurry of crystal ball picks in the past day for C Adem Bona to head to Kentucky. Bona is a top 15ish big man and a big time recruit. He was offered by Kentucky and almost instantly folks started projecting he would go there.

Why should Duke fans care?

Well, Duke and Kentucky are considered the front-runners for Derek Lively, the #1 center (and perhaps #1 prospects) in the 2022 class. Bona and Lively are reasonably similar players, explosive leapers who protect the rim and rebound with some offensive game but a little bit raw on that end. Bona is sorta Lively-lite, a little bit smaller and a little bit less skilled.

Unless you are projecting Bona as a multi-year player, bringing him and Lively in at the same time doesn't really work. So, could this be a sign that Kentucky is a little less confident about getting Lively? Hmmmmmm.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Ever since Kentucky brought in both John Wall and Eric Bledsoe in the same class, I stopped believing that a team landing one star player meant they were out of the running for another star at the same position. Bona is 6'9 225 and Calipari is known for platooning his big men. So if you're squinting really hard trying to find positives for Duke then I guess you could point to this, but I think the Lively recruitment is still very much up in the air.

There have been a flurry of crystal ball picks in the past day for C Adem Bona to head to Kentucky. Bona is a top 15ish big man and a big time recruit. He was offered by Kentucky and almost instantly folks started projecting he would go there.

Why should Duke fans care?

Well, Duke and Kentucky are considered the front-runners for Derek Lively, the #1 center (and perhaps #1 prospects) in the 2022 class. Bona and Lively are reasonably similar players, explosive leapers who protect the rim and rebound with some offensive game but a little bit raw on that end. Bona is sorta Lively-lite, a little bit smaller and a little bit less skilled.

Unless you are projecting Bona as a multi-year player, bringing him and Lively in at the same time doesn't really work. So, could this be a sign that Kentucky is a little less confident about getting Lively? Hmmmmmm.
    Bona is listed as a center, but maybe Calipari is selling him or Lively on playing the role of a 4? It wouldn't be the first time he's tried to convince a recruit that they could play a different position. I believe he told Wenyen Gabriel that he could be a shooting guard one day.

Looking at Kentucky's frontcourt situation, they already have a few players on the roster for this upcoming season that might be around in 2022-23. Damion Collins, a freshman that has loooooooooooooooooong arms is projected to be the only one on draft radars at the moment. 6'9" F/C Oscar Tshiebwe and 6'10" F/C Lance Ware are both potential candidates for filling out the frontcourt rotation for the next two seasons if they stick around Lexington. It will be really crowded if they add Bona, Lively, and hold onto both Tshiebwe and Ware. Tshiebwe was a starter at WVU as it is and I doubt would be interested in playing behind either Bona or Lively. I could see Tshiebwe and Bona both starting as Cal likes to go big when he can. This is a long-winded way of saying I think Bona to UK is a good sign for Duke's prospects. Even if it is just a matter of Calipari taking a guy that clearly wanted to go to UK, it makes it easier for Duke and Jon Scheyer to say "hey, we're not going to platoon you."

Lively, in my view, pairs very nicely with Kyle Filipowski. Both can shoot the ball. Flip isn't as much of a vertical spacer, however, so Lively provides that dimension on offense and would be one of the best rim protectors/help-side defenders in the college game. Because both can shoot, you could post up Flip and use him to score around the rim or kick it out to the shooters. Assuming Duke lands Mitchell as the crystal ball suggests, I think we'd likely see a starting frontcourt of Mitchell and Lively with plenty of minutes from Flip at either forward spot. I'd like to see a grad transfer there to provide post depth, but otherwise love the potential of those three.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Bona is listed as a center, but maybe Calipari is selling him or Lively on playing the role of a 4? It wouldn't be the first time he's tried to convince a recruit that they could play a different position. I believe he told Wenyen Gabriel that he could be a shooting guard one day.
    He is either selling them on being a platoon (why would a top 15, likely OAD big man want to come into a platoon situation??) or he has offered both of them and told them the first to commit gets the scholarship. The idea that you could play them side-by-side doesn't really work as neither seems to be a floor spacer and parking two bigs in the post is gonna create major spacing issues and a traffic jam around the basket.

He is either selling them on being a platoon (why would a top 15, likely OAD big man want to come into a platoon situation??) or he has offered both of them and told them the first to commit gets the scholarship. The idea that you could play them side-by-side doesn't really work as neither seems to be a floor spacer and parking two bigs in the post is gonna create major spacing issues and a traffic jam around the basket.
    As well as the fact that Oscar Tshiebwe is no joke as a player, and he is strictly an interior, wide body type. He has several years of eligibility left after his transfer, and he's going to get minutes as a power player inside.

Not sure when ESPN last updated their rankings, but I note they only have Lively at #8 (they also have Filipowski at #18, which seems higher than most, which makes me think they are more recent?). Lively is also #5 on 247, down from #1 previously.

Would seem like a big jump for him to get to #1 or 2 from the 5/8 spot…seems like he’s headed for a top 5-10 ranking. (He’s still the #1 C in both rankings, as you point out)