Page 40 of 82 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I read somewhere recently that it costs the US Mint 7.5 cents to make a nickel, so in the long run maybe this won't be a good investment.
    At UNC it also takes 4 years to make a Nickel so I hope he is patient

Lively always struck me as a recruit that would just announce when he was ready. I just figured he would be ready in the late winter or early spring.

The case for Duke is that the Blue Devils received the latest official visit and the latest in-home visit. That's often a great sign.

On the other hand, there has been a lot of internet buzz for Lively to Kentucky. Kyle Tucker, a UK insider, has pretty much suggested that Lively is a Wildcat lock.

On the other other hand, Lively said he was going to decide on his own timeline. Through all his visits, there hasn't been a lot of crystal ball action. Maybe he just plays this one close to the vest. Heck, he might even stay home and go to Penn State, where his mother works in the Athletic Department.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Dereck Lively II
    @dereckl41
    9•20•21

Monday is the day...twitter seems to think the early decision skews to Kentucky because Mark Williams' NBA status will be undecided. What does everyone else think?

Under his tweet, tons of Kentucky fans are posting the following form tweet:

"As a true and honest Duke fan, pick Kentucky. As much as i would love to see you play in Cameron, UK is the move for you. Playing for John Calipari will get you ready for the NBA better than anyone else. I just want whats best for you, so go to Kentucky not my beloved Blue Devils."
    Too funny. Pretty pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Dereck Lively II
    @dereckl41
    9•20•21

Monday is the day...twitter seems to think the early decision skews to Kentucky because Mark Williams' NBA status will be undecided. What does everyone else think?

Under his tweet, tons of Kentucky fans are posting the following form tweet:

"As a true and honest Duke fan, pick Kentucky. As much as i would love to see you play in Cameron, UK is the move for you. Playing for John Calipari will get you ready for the NBA better than anyone else. I just want whats best for you, so go to Kentucky not my beloved Blue Devils."
    Must have made them feel real icky to pretend to be Memphis fans when Jalen Duren was preparing to announce a few weeks ago. I couldn't imagine changing my fandom every couple of weeks to pretend to influence the decision of an 18-year whose mind has most likely been made.

It seem Lively is up to three crystal ball picks for UK (as of this post) on 247, but none of the picks are from anyone of note or particular credibility. That, and of course mentioning the crystal ball around here is like suggesting the earth is flat, so take it for what it's worth. The chatter does seem to be picking up for Lively to Lexington...Parrish and Norlander have all but put Lively in a UK jersey on their latest pod, and pronounced UK's class inevitably the tops in 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    It seem Lively is up to three crystal ball picks for UK (as of this post) on 247, but none of the picks are from anyone of note or particular credibility. That, and of course mentioning the crystal ball around here is like suggesting the earth is flat, so take it for what it's worth. The chatter does seem to be picking up for Lively to Lexington...Parrish and Norlander have all but put Lively in a UK jersey on their latest pod, and pronounced UK's class inevitably the tops in 2022.
    From all I've read, Kentucky is already loaded for 2022. Think that will have an effect one way or the other on Lively's decision?

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I'm hopeful we'll get to see some Blakes-Lively alley oops next season.
    Cameron Indoor's next celebrity visitors?

reynoldslively.jpg

There was just a new crystal ball pick made right after you posted it. Travis Branham, one of the national insiders for 247Sports, just placed a pick for Lively to... Duke (6/10).

Oh my...

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Cameron Indoor's next celebrity visitors?
    Very good.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    There was just a new crystal ball pick made right after you posted it. Travis Branham, one of the national insiders for 247Sports, just placed a pick for Lively to... Duke (6/10).

Oh my...
    Let's go!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    From all I've read, Kentucky is already loaded for 2022. Think that will have an effect one way or the other on Lively's decision?

GoDuke!
    Well in terms of big guys on the roster this year, they're going to have West Virginia transfer Oscar Tshiebwe, who is a wide body rebounding beast, soph Lance Ware who was the #44 recruit in his class but only played 12 mpg as a freshman, this year's #13 overall recruit Daimion Collins and also #43 Bryce Hopkins. Next year current #10 Adem Bona, 6'9" and 225 lbs, is shown as 100% to UK on the 247 board. Obviously that can change especially if Lively goes there, but overall this seems like a lot of bigs already, especially considering Lively is not an imposing physical presence who would be able to come in and simply impose his will on any other bigs he faces. Both Duke and UK offer him the chance to be part of a really super class. Where will he fit best and where will he best be able to get the minutes to shine?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post

Oh my...
    hope that works out, but Branham is one of a host of guys I'd call an analyst not an insider. There just aren't that many true insiders.

Am I missing something? When I look at the 247 crystal ball page for Lively I only see 2 predictions**... 1 for Duke (Branham) and 1 for Kentucky (Kentucky insider Chris Fisher). Where did you see this other flurry of picks for the Wildcats?

I always saw Kentucky's pursuit of Adem Bona as a sign that they thought their standing with Lively was not all that good. I like Scheyer's chances here. The fact that Mark Williams has not officially declared is sorta meaningless when most folks expect him to turn pro anyway. I mean, Paolo and AJ have not officially declared either (and I know that Williams does not have quite the "stock" that they do, but I am still hearing he is all but certain to be turning pro after this season).

-Jason "**- both predictions are with a confidence of 6, which is just a tiny shade above 'I'm kinda just guessing here...'" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    hope that works out, but Branham is one of a host of guys I'd call an analyst not an insider. There just aren't that many true insiders.
    Branham is 113 out of 123 i his lifetime crystal ball predictions (91.87%) and is 32 for 33 in the class of 2022 (96.97%).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

So

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Branham is 113 out of 123 i his lifetime crystal ball predictions (91.87%) and is 32 for 33 in the class of 2022 (96.97%).
    He's not an insider, but he's a darned good analyst!

Or so I hope in this case.

Can a DBR editor kindly change the photo of Kyle Filipowski on the frontpage to something more flattering for the kid?

In one of the first recorded crystal ball picks, Pythagoras recorded a bold prediction for "earth is sphere." Of course, the overall crystal ball prediction was 97.2% in favor of "earth is flat." Even back then, it sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    Can a DBR editor kindly change the photo of Kyle Filipowski on the frontpage to something more flattering for the kid?
    Why? He's literally making a Scheyer Face.

filipowski.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    those stats are pure nonsense. The guys who pick routinely fall into line behind the right choice once word gets out. The definition of "insider" has been grossly devalued...chalk it up to marketing. You or I could do as well, and I certainly don't consider myself an insider.

Just a small correction on the front page story on recruit Dereck Lively

Dereck Lively, the 7-1 center from Westtown School in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania, which is Cam Reddish’s alma mater, is going to announce his decision on Monday at 6:00 pm.

Although his mother works at Penn State

Dereck's hometown is Bellefonte, not far from the Penn State campus, and his mother does work there. Dereck attends prep school Westtown School which is actually in West Chester. not far from Philadelphia, but a 3-hour drive from Bellefonte. Don't know what effect this has on his decision, other than to note he has already ventured out from his home to get the best basketball/prep school experience.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Just a small correction on the front page story on recruit Dereck Lively

Dereck Lively, the 7-1 center from Westtown School in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania, which is Cam Reddish’s alma mater, is going to announce his decision on Monday at 6:00 pm.

Although his mother works at Penn State

Dereck's hometown is Bellefonte, not far from the Penn State campus, and his mother does work there. Dereck attends prep school Westtown School which is actually in West Chester. not far from Philadelphia, but a 3-hour drive from Bellefonte. Don't know what effect this has on his decision, other than to note he has already ventured out from his home to get the best basketball/prep school experience.
    If y'all see a clear typo or factual mistake, please PM me and we'll get it corrected.

For Julian's editorial posts, that's on him. If you want to take exception, email him at heydbr@gmail.com - I stay out of that stuff!

-jk