CBS and DirecTV?

Apparently there is some nationwide interruption of service for CBS local stations via DirecTV.

Any idea what's going on?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Apparently there is some nationwide interruption of service for CBS local stations via DirecTV.

I thought I heard they were having a contract dispute. I might be getting my channels mixed up though.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I thought I heard they were having a contract dispute. I might be getting my channels mixed up though.
    No, you got it right. I have DirectvNOW, so the dispute doesn't apply since I only get a couple local channels (as they add them), and CBS isn't one. However, my girlfriend's mom is affected, so she ordered a local channel antenna from DTV. It plugs via USB into the reciever. (Not sure if she had to pay for it or not.)
    I set it up today for her, and it works great. Except for CBS. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    The local CBS channel is too weak to show up on the antenna. I have an external antenna, and even in my case it is hit and miss on getting the signal.
    So, the sole reason she ordered the antenna for, it didn't solve her problem. She did get lots of other local channels that she wasn't aware of, though, so there's that.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

CBS is also not on AT&T Uverse.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    No, you got it right. I have DirectvNOW, so the dispute doesn't apply since I only get a couple local channels (as they add them), and CBS isn't one. However, my girlfriend's mom is affected, so she ordered a local channel antenna from DTV. It plugs via USB into the reciever. (Not sure if she had to pay for it or not.)
    I set it up today for her, and it works great. Except for CBS. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    The local CBS channel is too weak to show up on the antenna. I have an external antenna, and even in my case it is hit and miss on getting the signal.
    So, the sole reason she ordered the antenna for, it didn't solve her problem. She did get lots of other local channels that she wasn't aware of, though, so there's that.
    No chance here for local channel reception. They are across four mountain ranges.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

I don't think this is true, Sage (my local CBS channel is coming in fine).

As someone mentioned, it is highly likely that your particular affiliate is having a contract dispute with DirecTV as they squabble over money. In fact for the past week or so, DirecTV has not carried my local
    FOX affiliate for just this reason...they put up a notice saying their dispute is with Nexstar, the owner of our local FOX affiliate...fortunately I can get the national FOX feeds...do you buy, or are you eligible for them?

Many many years ago when DIRECTV started out, I had to apply for the ability to buy various network feeds, based upon their odd (widely inaccurate) map indicating whether or not I could get those
    network affiliates over the air (back before the digital days)...the legacy continues, as I am allowed to buy, for a nominal fee, FOX and ABC east and west coast affiliate feeds...but not CBS or NBC...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I don't think this is true, Sage (my local CBS channel is coming in fine).

As someone mentioned, it is highly likely that your particular affiliate is having a contract dispute with DirecTV as they squabble over money. In fact for the past week or so, DirecTV has not carried my local
    FOX affiliate for just this reason...they put up a notice saying their dispute is with Nexstar, the owner of our local FOX affiliate...fortunately I can get the national FOX feeds...do you buy, or are you eligible for them?

Many many years ago when DIRECTV started out, I had to apply for the ability to buy various network feeds, based upon their odd (widely inaccurate) map indicating whether or not I could get those
    network affiliates over the air (back before the digital days)...the legacy continues, as I am allowed to buy, for a nominal fee, FOX and ABC east and west coast affiliate feeds...but not CBS or NBC...
    Here's DirecTV/AT&T's version:

To our TV customers

We’re grateful we’re your TV provider. Our focus is on offering you the best TV experience at a value that also makes sense to you.

Please know that we had no wish to see any local CBS stations removed from our service and had asked CBS to keep them available while we continue to negotiate. CBS removed them instead. This is completely CBS’s decision.

However, only a small handful of CBS stations are part of these negotiations. For most of you, your local CBS station will remain available. For full details about how your local service might be affected, use our ZIP Code search tool below.
    Anyway, it's a national negotiation -- I would say "dispute" -- but only a few stations are being withheld from DirecTV or U-verse.
    Sage Grouse

In NM it’s both CBS and Fox. It started the day of the women’s World Cup final. People here had to tune into telemundo to watch it. I was fortunate because the final was also on the 4K channel and that wasn’t blocked. It’s starting to get on my nerves. Luckily I have an antenna that picks them up but you can’t pause, rewind or record.

If it wasn’t for all the Duke games on espn I’d drop cable/satellite altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    In NM it’s both CBS and Fox. It started the day of the women’s World Cup final. People here had to tune into telemundo to watch it. I was fortunate because the final was also on the 4K channel and that wasn’t blocked. It’s starting to get on my nerves. Luckily I have an antenna that picks them up but you can’t pause, rewind or record.

If it wasn’t for all the Duke games on espn I’d drop cable/satellite altogether.
    https://deadline.com/2019/07/cbs-bla...te-1202649633/

Only certain markets are affected...this crap happens periodically...I know as far as the World Cup final was concerned, that was also a dispute with just some, not all, Fox affiliates...I had turned on the beginning of the game on my local Fox channel and found the dispute message...but then I went to the Fox east and west coast feeds (somewhere around channel 390 on DirecTV) and the game was being shown...I think I pay something like $2.99 per month for those feeds (per network) and they have saved my bacon a few times...

This has been going on for almost a month. I have Uverse, but the only thing I watch on CBS is CBS Sunday Morning, and it's mostly repeats during the summer. Still waiting for Google to show up in my neighborhood. AT&T also still has signed onto ACCNetwork, yet, and if they do, I am SURE they will make it an upper tier channel where we have to pay more.

CBS is also in a fight with Dish. I can get KMOV over the air, so that's not a problem if I want to see random PGA tour stops on Sunday.

The worse problem is that now Dish has lost the regional Fox Sportses, which are literally the sole reason I still subscribe to cable/satellite.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Last year, I lost Fox off Directv due to the contract squabbles. So when I wanted to watch the local team ( Carolina Panthers ) I'd get out my laptop, go to Fox Sports and find the game there.. then hook up the laptop to the big screen and I watched all the games till they contract squabble was resolved.
    I couldn't get it through Apple TV.. and I didn't want the external antenna. ( but would have if that was my only choice, OK OK, my spouse unit said NO REMOTE ANTENNA lol )

The dispute is mercifully over now. CBS-owned local stations as well as CBS Sports Network and the Smithsonian Channel are back for DirecTV customers. At least I got a free Local Channel Connector.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    The dispute is mercifully over now. CBS-owned local stations as well as CBS Sports Network and the Smithsonian Channel are back for DirecTV customers. At least I got a free Local Channel Connector.
    as of last night, DirecTV was still feuding with Nexstar, the owner of our local (and other) Fox station...but i can get the east and west coast feeds from NY and LA...it's stuff like this that indicates that the vaunted ACC Network might have some challenges ahead of it...the providers really tussle about money...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    as of last night, DirecTV was still feuding with Nexstar, the owner of our local (and other) Fox station...but i can get the east and west coast feeds from NY and LA...it's stuff like this that indicates that the vaunted ACC Network might have some challenges ahead of it...the providers really tussle about money...
    Yeah, nexstar owns the local CBS here in Las Vegas. I might just put up an external antenna and be done with it. Ridiculous they even charge when you can get their channels OTA with the right set up.

Let me check. I'll be back in a second.

Nope. We have Nexstar for two channels in Greenville, SC, 1007 WSPA (CBS) and 1062 WYCW (The CW). They're still blanked out with a dispute message.

FWIW, I was out of the country for ten days. When I turned on the TV today, I got local CBS (Denver) on DirecTV.
    Sage Grouse

Apparently, the issue b/tw U-verse and Nexstar is over. I am now getting my CBS station. Now, if they can just get ACCN, but I'm still betting it will only be upper tier.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Apparently, the issue b/tw U-verse and Nexstar is over. I am now getting my CBS station. Now, if they can just get ACCN, but I'm still betting it will only be upper tier.
    Yeah, AT&T reached an agreement with nexstar which covers all their services like tv now, uverse, directv, etc.

WNCN is back on Directv now