Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Savannah Shout Out

Just planned a few days with the missus in Savannah in late September. Any advice from DBR for food, drink, and can't miss entertainment?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Just planned a few days with the missus in Savannah in late September. Any advice from DBR for food, drink, and can't miss entertainment?
    We were there in May, 2014 for several days but I couldn't find the info at home so the omniscient Mrs. dd will be looking later today/tomorrow and I'll return with some suggestions in the very near future. It was a highly enjoyable/educational trip with many more stops/excursions/tours (trolley and self-guided) than a local brewery or two .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Depends on how fancy you want to get.

Some good places to eat and enjoy beverages along Bay Street and River Street, and a nice place to stroll.

I’m a big fan of The Olde Pink House to eat, but may need reservations (which you can do on-line). Mrs. Wilke’s Dining Room also tasty.

Not sure about what to do, I’m usually there for work or seeing friends. If you read “The Book” they have walking tours of the places where those events happened.

There are also some nice B&B’s if you want that lived-in feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Depends on how fancy you want to get.

Some good places to eat and enjoy beverages along Bay Street and River Street, and a nice place to stroll.

I’m a big fan of The Olde Pink House to eat, but may need reservations (which you can do on-line). Mrs. Wilke’s Dining Room also tasty.

Not sure about what to do, I’m usually there for work or seeing friends. If you read “The Book” they have walking tours of the places where those events happened.

There are also some nice B&B’s if you want that lived-in feeling.
    Our lodging is decided, and centrally located (thanks, AirBnB!) - not to mention dog friendly.

I'm guessing we will be on a budget most of the time, cooking a few meals, and maybe one special occasion meal out.

In other words, gimmie everything you got.

Flying Monkey Noodle Bar is terrific. I can’t remember the name of the brewery I liked,’ but will try to pin it down. I think it was haunted. Seriously.

And I may not speak to you again if you go to the Paula Deen place ....

I
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

My wife and I enjoyed a walking ghost tour in the evening that was made all the better by Savannah's open container law.

A short jaunt out to Tybee Isalnd is usually worth it. In fairness, I've not been in the summer months so it could be flush with the summer crowds but there were a couple of old forts that we enjoyed touring. Also ate a place called The Crab Shack on the way out. It's pretty gimmick-y with gator ponds out front but it's a fun southern shack and has lots of fried seafood...and fried everything else. Plenty of first class options in Savannah, to be sure.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Flying Monkey Noodle Bar is terrific. I can’t remember the name of the brewery I liked,’ but will try to pin it down. I think it was haunted. Seriously.

And I may not speak to you again if you go to the Paula Deen place ...

I
    Not likely. But thanks for the Monkey tip!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    My wife and I enjoyed a walking ghost tour in the evening that was made all the better by Savannah's open container law.

A short jaunt out to Tybee Isalnd is usually worth it. In fairness, I've not been in the summer months so it could be flush with the summer crowds but there were a couple of old forts that we enjoyed touring. Also ate a place called The Crab Shack on the way out. It's pretty gimmick-y with gator ponds out front but it's a fun southern shack and has lots of fried seafood...and fried everything else. Plenty of first class options in Savannah, to be sure.

Have fun!
    Gimmick is fine, if it's not Bubba Gump style. I don't think my wife has ever seen a live gator. I grew up visiting Florida on the regular, so I have seen hundreds. Is there a cool spot to see wild gators nearby? Park of some sort?

Here’s the brewery of which I was thinking:

Moon River Brewing Captain's Porter: Pretty easily the beer of the trip, purchased on-draft at the Savannah brewery (located on Bay Street in a building in which the top two floors are said to be so haunted, they haven't had any residents there for approximately 170 years). Nice notes of coffee and dark chocolate, with a solid maltiness as well. 6.0% ABV, so not high-gravity. Wonderful to sip while roaming through the various squares in town. And, yes, go-cups are wonderful things

Gimmick is fine, if it's not Bubba Gump style. I don't think my wife has ever seen a live gator. I grew up visiting Florida on the regular, so I have seen hundreds. Is there a cool spot to see wild gators nearby? Park of some sort?
    There are a couple of national wildlife refuges nearby, Savannah to the north and Wassaw out on the coast. You can do guided kayak/canoe trips to Savannah, I believe. Those are your best bets for wildlife viewing but gators are in every other golf pond from Florida to NC.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    There are a couple of national wildlife refuges nearby, Savannah to the north and Wassaw out on the coast. You can do guided kayak/canoe trips to Savannah, I believe. Those are your best bets for wildlife viewing but gators are in every other golf pond from Florida to NC.
    I could bring my own kayaks/bikes...

It's been a few years but Savannah has a couple of great Irish bars. But I don't remember the names and that's pretty par for this course.
    You're welcome!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Here’s the brewery of which I was thinking:
    I know we had a lunch (with a flight for me-whaddaya expect ) at Moon River but had forgotten about the history. It's even featured on the travelchannel:

https://www.travelchannel.com/shows/...aunted-history

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    It's been a few years but Savannah has a couple of great Irish bars. But I don't remember the names and that's pretty par for this course.
    You're welcome!
    I learned today they have the second biggest St Patrick's Day celebration in the country. Which is... surprising?

Tap list looks pretty good at The Distillery:

https://www.savdistilleryalehouse.com/beverages.html

(Yea, I know it's dated 3/28/19, older than some IPAs I'd drink, but we ate there, Mrs. dd was pleased, I had a flight and the emphasis is on local brews, though not exclusively. )

Check out Zunzis! It's a hike in the wall with the best sandwiches and sauces. There'll be a line but it's worth it, especially if the weather is nice. I literally came off I-95 going past Savannah just to have lunch there.

I'm not a fan of Mmoon River, it's a bit too mainstream for me. If you're out that way, check out Southbound. It's not in a good neighborhood but the beers are worth it.
    Last edited by PSurprise; 07-27-2019 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Beer

Mrs. dd was only able to find a few Savannah souvenirs which included a couple maps and menus. I heartily endorse the Olde Pink House but would suggest lunch instead as we walked in without a reservation and had a very short wait and the dinner prices are somewhat spendy. We took an inexpensive 90 minute trolley tour, a touristy thing we rarely do, on arrival and found it quite helpful to have some of the highlights pointed out and get a "lay of the land" plan. Taking a self-guided walking tour (we borrowed a Savannah tour guide/book from friends) of all the "squares" will take hours and allow for lots of leisurely walking, a lot of sign-reading and history-absorbing and the chances to visit some of the old homes (at a modest additional cost). A "city pass" feature may be worth the investment allowing you to visit some of the nicer/more historical homes with a docent to assist you. Hope this helps.

The monkeys stand for honesty
    Giraffes are insincere
    And the elephants are kindly but they're dumb

And I may not speak to you again if you go to the Paula Deen place ...

I
    Pretty sure it's the Flying Monk, not the Flying Monkey, lol.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Pretty sure it's the Flying Monk, not the Flying Monkey, lol.
    True enough. It has been a few years, and the photo on my phone of the exterior sign looked like “Monkey “ San i read it quickly. My bad.