Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    With more than 200 critics weighing in on Rotten Tomatoes, the movie has an 88% positive rating. I think you are vastly overestimating this "growing crowd" of which you speak.
    Judging by the movies which you review very positively, I'm not surprised that this genre is not for you.
    Actually, I am usually a huge QT fan. I love almost everything in his catalog and have been eagerly anticipating this latest film. As I stated in my very brief review, I really liked a lot of it... I just found other parts tedious and the story unfocused in a way that is unusual for one of the finest screenwriters around.

And you may be right that I am overstating the criticism. I happened to wander across a few strongly critical pieces this morning (as well as some negative tweets on my feed from other film folks) and it may have colored my view of the general consensus. You are absolutely correct that the strong percentage of critics are praising this movie. And, if I had bothered to give it a "star" rating, I probably would have gone with something like 3 out of 4 stars.

-Jason "like I said at the top of this thread... even a weak Tarantino movie is better than at least 80% of what Hollywood produces these days" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

With more than 200 critics weighing in on Rotten Tomatoes, the movie has an 88% positive rating. I think you are vastly overestimating this "growing crowd" of which you speak.
    Judging by the movies which you review very positively, I'm not surprised that this genre is not for you.
    It would be hard to actually discuss this without veering off into PPB territory, but I think this is pretty much correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    It would be hard to actually discuss this without veering off into PPB territory, but I think this is pretty much correct.
    You have piqued my curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    You have piqued my curiosity.
    I think the question "are Tarantino films problematic" (which is basically what the criticism amounts to) is pretty much a direct path to the kind of conversations no longer allowed here (at least it seems to me).

agreed, i think that's true.

The idea is that QT is no longer seen the same way in the era of #MeToo?

And I must say, I love his movies. I don’t remember liking Jackie Brown at ALL though... maybe I need to rewatch it?

Does True Romance get to count as a QT movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post

And I must say, I love his movies. I don’t remember liking Jackie Brown at ALL though... maybe I need to rewatch it?

I don't think QT himself counts True Romance since he didn't direct, but I do. Tarantino wrote the whole screenplay and it's a super-fun movie, probably better than some of his others. He also wrote From Dusk Til Dawn which definitely had its moments but was not one of my favorites. But I always enjoy Tarantino movies.

Once Upon a Time in the West remains one of my favorite westerns. So I'll also go into this one ready to be patient for 2 hours 40 minutes. I'll be ready for it to meander along for the first half of that until it really gets going. I'll try to just enjoy the beautiful scenery, world-class acting, and another unique QT experience. Thanks JasonEvans for helping me set appropriate expectations.
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 07-27-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post

Not just #MeToo, but yes that's the idea being advanced by the critique Jason linked.

I saw Once Upon a Time tonight. I loved it and thought it was a masterpiece. I actually loved the ending. It helped going in knowing how to set expectations. Leo's acting was outstanding. I felt the movie was entertaining, humorous, and fun. Could it have been shortened some - sure. But I'm sure it's the way QT wanted it. I never got bored or looked at my watch. I think it's worth seeing in the theater. But I always love Tarantino. YMMV.

Before the movie I read a 1 minute blurb on the Manson Family which helped. Like I didn't know that Squeaky Fromme, played by Dakota Fanning in the movie, attempted to assassinate Gerald Ford. Or that Tex Watson and 3 other members of the Family executed the Sharon Tate murders.

I just looked at the part on wikipedia under 1968-1971: Cult Formation, murders, and trial. Manson himself makes a pretty brief appearance in the movie, so no need to know much more about him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Manson

This is a great movie in a summer of many not-so-great movies.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    I saw Once Upon a Time tonight. I loved it and thought it was a masterpiece. I actually loved the ending. It helped going in knowing how to set expectations. Leo's acting was outstanding. I felt the movie was entertaining, humorous, and fun. Could it have been shortened some - sure. But I'm sure it's the way QT wanted it. I never got bored or looked at my watch. I think it's worth seeing in the theater. But I always love Tarantino. YMMV.

Before the movie I read a 1 minute blurb on the Manson Family which helped. Like I didn't know that Squeaky Fromme, played by Dakota Fanning in the movie, attempted to assassinate Gerald Ford. Or that Tex Watson and 3 other members of the Family executed the Sharon Tate murders.

I just looked at the part on wikipedia under 1968-1971: Cult Formation, murders, and trial. Manson himself makes a pretty brief appearance in the movie, so no need to know much more about him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Manson

This is a great movie in a summer of many not-so-great movies.
    The Manson stuff (during my era) was pretty amazing by any standard...just for starters, you might want to check out Vince Bugliosi's book Helter Skelter...he was the prosecutor in the Manson case...a lot of stuff has happened since then, e.g. I believe the Squeakster took her shot at Ford after the book was written...the real story is absolutely beyond bizarre...the Manson gang had plans way beyond killing Sharon Tate...

The Manson stuff (during my era) was pretty amazing by any standard...just for starters, you might want to check out Vince Bugliosi's book Helter Skelter...he was the prosecutor in the Manson case...a lot of stuff has happened since then, e.g. I believe the Squeakster took her shot at Ford after the book was written...the real story is absolutely beyond bizarre...the Manson gang had plans way beyond killing Sharon Tate...
    Thanks! I'll def check that book out. Even this little interview is fascinating. The sociopathic lack of remorse is impressively frightening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Edw-ftS2Jo

what a horrible person

One of his planned crimes was to make Frank Sinatra listen to his own recordings while cutting out his vocal chords...other stuff was even nastier.

Meanwhile, we're expecting 92 degrees today, so off to the movies to see Once Upon a Time!

OK, saw it today, most enjoyable, for us anyway...tastes may differ.

A few thoughts:

For a guy who was born in 1963, Tarantino is quite the connoisseur of the 1960s...I grew up during that era, and he really hit so many cultural targets right on the money.
    A lot of small stuff that wouldn't mean anything to a person of another era, but the signs on the city bus (Combat!), Robert Goulet crooning MacArthur Park on the TV (who needs acid when you have that?).

Yes, ugly violence against women, but what happened in this alternate reality version paled in comparison to what the Manson clan did to Sharon Tate and others. Message taken, big dogs can be useful.

The length of the movie was fine for me, but hey, I like going to baseball games, so hurrying to get out of something within two hours is not a personal requirement. Pretty good value for seven bucks.

(who needs acid when you have that?).
    Well, I am watching political debates. So . . . .

Haven’t seen it yet, but love several QT movies and heard a great review on NPR.

Just got back from The Angelika theater.

Loved it. Fun cameos, big laughs, plenty of darkness. DiCaprio seethes intelligence and Pitt is brilliant Pitt.

Damien Lewis chews his tiny role thoroughly.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Saw this last night and really enjoyed it. A solid B+. Pitt & DiCaprio were both great in their own ways. I also liked the ending and especially enjoyed Leo's conversation with his neighbor. The back-lot filming scenes were an added bonus.

8 whiskey sours?!??!

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Actually, I am usually a huge QT fan. I love almost everything in his catalog and have been eagerly anticipating this latest film. As I stated in my very brief review, I really liked a lot of it... I just found other parts tedious and the story unfocused in a way that is unusual for one of the finest screenwriters around.

And you may be right that I am overstating the criticism. I happened to wander across a few strongly critical pieces this morning (as well as some negative tweets on my feed from other film folks) and it may have colored my view of the general consensus. You are absolutely correct that the strong percentage of critics are praising this movie. And, if I had bothered to give it a "star" rating, I probably would have gone with something like 3 out of 4 stars.

-Jason "like I said at the top of this thread... even a weak Tarantino movie is better than at least 80% of what Hollywood produces these days" Evans
    FWIW, now that I’ve seen the movie, you nailed the review, at least for me.

I’d agree that it’s one of the weaker Tarantino films, but still worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    Saw this last night and really enjoyed it. A solid B+. Pitt & DiCaprio were both great in their own ways. I also liked the ending and especially enjoyed Leo's conversation with his neighbor. The back-lot filming scenes were an added bonus.

8 whiskey sours?!??!
    Is everybody all right?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.34f220a3fa5e

Count me among those who relish an original film and not just another franchise film designed to be pawned off on China.