Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    I'll register a guess: Danny Ainge.
    Tim Stoddard

Quote Originally Posted by Aladuke View Post
    Tim Stoddard
    He was also an actor. Sure, he played a baseball player.

Still, that's a triple threat.

Believe it or not he probably was no better than the third best player on his high school team. Teammates Junior Bridgeman (Louisville) and Pete Trgovich (UCLA)--no that's not a misspelling--also played in the Final Four.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I took Chem 11 and 12 despite being about as far from a science major as they get...My great regret is that I did not have the nerve to ask him about the "which tire" question.
    He would not have told you. The full details of that story went to his grave...unless you will admit to being one of the students that took the exam. I had Bonk in '94-'95 when he still told the story and asked the class if any of his students were the grandchildren of former students.

I'll give you an easy Duke football question. I was at both games and obviously find the trivia intriguing. Through 2013, only two players scored pick 6's on consecutive offensive plays by the opposing team. Name the players. Sprinkles on your cupcake if you can name the opponent, venue, and elapsed time for both plays. Hint: these plays turned both games from a 4th quarter nail-biter into a relative blowout.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    He would not have told you. The full details of that story went to his grave...unless you will admit to being one of the students that took the exam. I had Bonk in '94-'95 when he still told the story and asked the class if any of his students were the grandchildren of former students.

I'll give you an easy Duke football question. I was at both games and obviously find the trivia intriguing. Through 2013, only two players scored pick 6's on consecutive offensive plays by the opposing team. Name the players. Sprinkles on your cupcake if you can name the opponent, venue, and elapsed time for both plays. Hint: these plays turned both games from a 4th quarter nail-biter into a relative blowout.
    Would that be Leon Wright in the Army game and DeVon Edwards in the NC State game?

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    I'll register a guess: Danny Ainge.
    We have a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I'll throw one out.

Who was the first person to play in and coach in a Final Four?
    Bob Knight?

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Would that be Leon Wright in the Army game and DeVon Edwards in the NC State game?
    For my sprinkles, Wright did it at Army and Edwards performed his feat at WW. I'll guess the elapsed time for the Army plays were 14 seconds total and 12 for the NCSU game.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

This was not a great Carolina freshman team. They did have George Karl, who turned out to be the best freshman in that year's Big Four class. But I think Donn Johnston was the only other recruited player on that team.

So, when they came to Duke they held the ball. Classic Dean Smith delay-level four corners. Duke prevailed. Too big a talent differential. I do not recall the final score. Something like 46-30, so not really in the category of 21-20 in 1966 or 12-10 NCSU in 1968. Still, kind of fun.
    Final score was 47-40. Which still makes me mad since it looks like they played us even in the second half. My recollection is that we beat them handily in the second half but that they closed the final gap to 7 in garbage time. I was there (sitting next to BD80 and Kedsy).

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Bob Knight?
    Good guess. But incorrect.

Good guess. But incorrect.
    Durn! And I am so rarely wrong...😂😎

I'll throw one out.

Who was the first person to play in and coach in a Final Four?
    Does it have to be a Head Coach? Dawkins was on the bench for K and played in a FF himself, but he was an assistant coach.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Does it have to be a Head Coach? Dawkins was on the bench for K and played in a FF himself, but he was an assistant coach.
    Head coach.

Remember Knight played in the FF for Ohio State in 1960-62 and coached Indiana in 1973. So, it has to be earlier than that.

Head coach.

Remember Knight played in the FF for Ohio State in 1960-62 and coached Indiana in 1973. So, it has to be earlier than that.
    Wooden?

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Wooden?
    Nope. Wooden finished playing before the advent of the NCAA Tournament.

Head coach.

Dean E. Smith played on the Kansas NCAA championship team in 1952 and, having survived being hung in effigy in Chapel Hill, coached UNC in the Final Four in 1967 and several times thereafter.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Dean E. Smith played on the Kansas NCAA championship team in 1952 and, having survived being hung in effigy in Chapel Hill, coached UNC in the Final Four in 1967 and several times thereafter.
    Now if the question was, "Who was the first player to play on an NCAA hoops champion team and then coach an NCAA hoops champion," Bobby Knight was on the Ohio State 1960 champions and coached the undefeated 1976 Indiana team to an NCAA championship.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Dean Smith is incorrect.

Earlier than that.

Dean Smith is incorrect.

Earlier than that.
    Aha! Ralph Miller played on the 1940 Kansas national runner-up and then coached Wichita from 1951-1964. But, as it turns out, Wichita didn't make the Final Four until 1965, losing in the regional final in 1964.

By the way, Sumner, I am losing my sense of humor over this question.
    Sage Grouse

Well, if humor is being lost, it's time for the answer.

Victor Albert Bubas played for NC State's third-place team in 1950 and coached Duke to third-place finishes in 1963 and 1966 and a runner-up spot in 1964.

Well, if humor is being lost, it's time for the answer.

Victor Albert Bubas played for NC State's third-place team in 1950 and coached Duke to third-place finishes in 1963 and 1966 and a runner-up spot in 1964.
    I checked Bubas right after Smith, and the Bubas college reference stats show a loss to CCNY in the east regional final, as does the NC State team schedule. The NC State Wikipedia article credits State for a Final Four. I guess I need more sources.
    Sage Grouse