Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by richmclean View Post
    Watched Pistol for 3 years at LSU averaging mid-40s with no 3- pointers. Hands down most fun college player to watch ever. </grammar>.
    ...until Zion (and I loved the Pistol...)

Jim, you are just so awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Not sure if this was the only team but Duke's 1970 freshman team was undefeated. Alan Shaw, Gary Melchionni, Richie O'Connor, Jeff Dawson. Jim Fitzsimmons left at mid-season.

NC State's 1972 freshman team--David Thompson, Monte Towe, Tim Stoddard, Mark Moeller--did lose once, to a UNC team led by Ed Stahl and Brad Hoffman.
    You got it.

Loved it when Duke went 4 corners on them late in the first half.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Who was the only Division 1 team ever to shut out another team for an entire half, and who was the team who was shut out?
    Duke led 7-0 at the half vs. UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by Teton Jack View Post
    Duke led 7-0 at the half vs. UNC.
    If I recall correctly, the Tarheels even failed to hit the rim the entire first half.

With one missed shot (by Chicky Yonakor) leading to the (first ever?) chant of Airball!

In 1907 Trinity defeated Trinity Park 24-1, Littleton High School 62-1 and Guilford 20-1. And that was in a six-game season.

Trinity defeated Trinity Park by that same 24-1 score the following season.

My math could be off but I'm fairly certain that a scoreless half is implied by a one-point game.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Who was the only Division 1 team ever to shut out another team for an entire half, and who was the team who was shut out?
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    If I recall correctly, the Tarheels even failed to hit the rim the entire first half.

With one missed shot (by Chicky Yonakor) leading to the (first ever?) chant of Airball!
    Technically, it was Dean Smith that prevented his team from scoring that half.

The Cam held about 8,000 back then? I am proud to be one of the 80,000 or so who claim to have been there to see history.

I was also lucky enough to be one of the 500,000 to have seen Franco Harris' "immaculate reception" in Three Rivers Stadium that held 50,000.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

The Cam held about 8,000 back then? I am proud to be one of the 80,000 or so who claim to have been there to see history.

I was also lucky enough to be one of the 500,000 to have seen Franco Harris' "immaculate reception" in Three Rivers Stadium that held 50,000.

Only Players(2) to Participate in NCAA FF and MLB World Series

Please name the only two players to have participated in both the NCAA FF and the World Series.
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

I actually was there that day. It was Jim Spanarkel's senior day and I was a third year law student at UNC. I don't think I missed a Duke home game while I was at UNC. It was an easy drive back to Durham to go to the game with my dad. That was the day I lost all respect for Dean Smith.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by Spanarkel View Post
    Please name the only two players to have participated in both the NCAA FF and the World Series.
    Small hint: they attended the same Midwestern high school, but one went West and one went East for college.

Sorry for no direct Duke ties to this question, though one of the players played in the ACC and Duke did play in one of the Final Fours involving the other player.
    Last edited by Spanarkel; 07-25-2019 at 08:28 AM.

Small hint: they attended the same Midwestern high school, but one went West and one went East for college.
    Lew Alcindor and, uh, Buddy Alcindor?

/got nuthin

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Lew Alcindor and, uh, Buddy Alcindor?

/got nuthin
    Thanks for trying!

Further hints: the FF appearances for these two players were 14 years apart.

I can't help myself.

Who served the beer?

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    duke's best three point shooter was a 6-10 245 center.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Marshall "Buckets" Plumlee.
    Who is the only Plumlee to have shot more than one 3-pointer and to have a 3-point shooting % less than 95%?

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    I can't help myself.

Who served the beer?
    Better yet, which tire?
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Only in the regular season.
    That's true. The original post did say regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Well, I think the answer is Tommy Prothro, best known as coach of UCLA, who was a player on one of the Duke Rose Bowl teams. I won't look it up just yet, but before UCLA, maybe Prothro coached at Oregon?
    Wallace Wade played in the Rose Bowl (Brown University). Coached both Alabama and Duke in the Rose Bowl. I think he was the first to accomplish this. Tommy Prothro accomplished this later.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Better yet, which tire?
    One of my regrets as a Duke student is not taking one of his classes as an elective. In my defense, I only managed to take a single elective class in my whole Duke career. But it would have been cool to have had one of the same professors as my father.

One of them is Kenny Lofton. He played in the Final Four for Arizona in 1988 and the World Series for the Cleveland Indians in 1995 and the San Francisco Giants in 2002.

Lofton narrowly missed playing in three more World Series. He was with the Chicago Cubs in 2003 when they were five outs away from clinching the pennant in Game Six of the NLCS, then imploded (the infamous Steve Bartman game) and eventually lost in seven games to the Marlins. He was with the New York Yankees in 2004 when they blew a 3-0 series lead and lost the ALCS to the Boston Red Sox. And he was with the Indians in 2007 (his last season in the majors) when they blew a 3-1 series lead and lost the ALCS to the Red Sox.

Not sure of the other.
    Last edited by Tom B.; 07-25-2019 at 12:14 PM.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Back to the original premise of the thread. My favorite Duke trivia, which I've posted about here before, are Christian Laettner's career FG and FT percentages in NCAA Regional Final games (he played in four of them).

FG%: 91.18% (31-for-34)
    FT%: 91.89% (34-for-37)
    Last edited by Tom B.; 07-25-2019 at 12:29 PM.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015