Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

What is your favorite "Duke Trivia"?

Mine was covered today by Jim Sumner. Thanks, Jim, for article on Steve Vacendak, my favorite Duke player of the late Bubas era. Unfortunately, you told everyone the answer to my favorite Duke trivia. I'll need something fresh to wow the grandkids. So, what are your favorite Duke trivia tidbits?

Teton Jack

I'll give the board one. Without looking it up name the only K-era Duke basketball player to be voted first-team All-ACC three times.

In the first Coach K charity event held at Duke outside Cameron in 2001 to raise money for the Emily K Family Life Center, who was the only person to bid on the live auction autographed Laettner Wizards jersey?

Bonus question: the follow up event in 2002 was a roast of Coach K hosted by Jay Bilas at the Carolina Theatre in downtown Durham.
    What parting gift was each attendee given?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I'll give the board one. Without looking it up name the only K-era Duke basketball player to be voted first-team All-ACC three times.
    Wow! Definitely didn't get that. Wouldn't have been my second guess either.

My gut says Jason Williams...maybe Shelden Williams.

Ok, going to look it up.

Was it Langdon?

Lessee... JD? Ferry? Not Laettner or Hurley. Hill? JJ? Singler? After that's it's easy -- nope!

I would say JJ or Singler.

Now I'm gonna look it up.

Hah!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    Was it Langdon?
    This was the name I was thinking.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

It was indeed Trajan Langdon.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    In the first Coach K charity event held at Duke outside Cameron in 2001 to raise money for the Emily K Family Life Center, who was the only person to bid on the live auction autographed Laettner Wizards jersey?
    Was it you?

Pistol Pete Playing in Cameron

In mid 1960s saw Pistol Pete play for Edwards Military Institute in Cameron against our freshman BB team.

It was indeed Trajan Langdon.
    Let's put it another way. Duke has had 18 first-team All-Americans under Coach K. He has only had one player make first-team All-ACC three times. That player was not one of the 18.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Teton Jack View Post
    Mine was covered today by Jim Sumner. Thanks, Jim, for article on Steve Vacendak, my favorite Duke player of the late Bubas era. Unfortunately, you told everyone the answer to my favorite Duke trivia. I'll need something fresh to wow the grandkids. So, what are your favorite Duke trivia tidbits?

Teton Jack
    For posterity, Teton Jack is referring to this front page article.

Trivia, huh? I do Halftime Trivia during in-game chats. Generally, the kinds of questions I ask are of the rapid-fire, multiple-answer, group-brainstorm variety, kind of like the Red Light Challenge on TV's Cash Cab. Time is of the essence, and the lack of permanence encourages guessing, so that format doesn't really work in a thread.

But here are a few questions that might (some are repeated from past in-game chats):

1. Who is the only second-generation Duke men's basketball player on the current roster?

2. According to RealGM, who was the only former Duke player to appear in all 82 games of his team's 2018-2019 NBA regular season?

3. Who is the last Duke player to be named to an All-Region team in an NCAA Tournament despite Duke losing in the Sweet 16 round?

4. Related to the question that started this thread: Steve Vacendak was one of four Duke players to be named ACC Player of the Year prior to Coach K's hiring. Name the other three.

5. Okay, one more multiple-answer question: Duke holds the longest streak of consecutive ACC Tournament championships, winning from 1999 to 2003, and five different Duke players were named tournament MVP. Name them.

duke's best three point shooter was a 6-10 245 center.
    April 1

I heard this stat in the 90s...

I heard someone quote a stat one time...that in his junior and senior years...in the second half of games...with Duke behind or the score tied...that Laettner hit 80% of his 3s in those specific situations. I know I heard that stat, and the person saying it was credible, but I can't swear it's the case.

If that's true, that's the most cold blooded stat I think I've ever heard. And if not true, it's still sooo Laettner-esque.

In the K era, how many times have we had two first team All-Americans, and who were they?

As Jim said... no cheating!

Who is the only player on a losing final four team to be named MVP of the final four?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    In the K era, how many times have we had two first team All-Americans, and who were they?

As Jim said... no cheating!
    Three, I believe...
    Battier & Williams ‘01
    Redick & Williams ‘06
    RJ & Zion ‘19

Surprised these haven't been mentioned yet from the non-basketball side of the house:

"Has the Rose Bowl ever been played outside of the state of California? If so, when and where?"

"Has a college football team ever gone unbeaten, untied, and unscored-upon for an entire regular season? If so, whom?"

"What year and in what sport was Duke's first NCAA National championship?"

And on the basketball side of the house:

"Name the only NPOY award winners for Duke who have not also had their jersey retired."
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    duke's best three point shooter was a 6-10 245 center.
    Marshall "Buckets" Plumlee.